Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt year themes >

Quilt year themes

Quilt year themes

Old 08-25-2021, 07:28 AM

Question Quilt year themes

Hello All,
I am new to this forum and excited to learn from everyone! I am in a modern quilt guild and am wondering if anyone has ever done quilt themes for the year? Not challenge themes but I guess more for programs?
Old 08-25-2021, 07:57 AM

So you mean as a theme for the year of guild activities? Many guilds I'm familiar with do have a theme for their yearly show and categories specifically for that theme, so quilters are working on projects for the show throughout the year. Typically also a group fundraiser quilt project too. I haven't seen it where every meeting had a direct connection to the theme but I guess it could be possible. I typically prefer large social guilds where there is a wide variety of interests, but I've known some very focused smaller groups that keep very tightly to whatever subject is their pursuit.

In my personal quilting, sometimes yes I do give myself particular themes/goals. I've been trying to work myself up to doing mostly quilting down for the next year and less piecing than I currently do. I have a lot of tops and a lot of ways to improve
Old 08-25-2021, 08:05 AM

I know, that is true most guilds do not do this, but last year our guild had a theme of make it Scrappy. We had programs on organizing scraps, scrappy modern challenges, scrappy swaps, etc. It was fun and I thought maybe there were other ideas out there similar...
Old 08-26-2021, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Vaquilter3 View Post
I know, that is true most guilds do not do this, but last year our guild had a theme of make it Scrappy. We had programs on organizing scraps, scrappy modern challenges, scrappy swaps, etc. It was fun and I thought maybe there were other ideas out there similar...

Too bad that Indiana is too far for meetings, can allways use some organizing help
Old 08-26-2021, 07:39 AM

Welcome to the QB from SE Michigan! Glad that you joined us here. The quilt guild I belong to is very small. We do not make an annual project. It is a project that has been discussed but because of our size it is not the best idea. If you are doing a project for yourself and want to complete, from beginning to end, in one year, you might find a number of options. A block of the month or block of the week might be a beginning.
For a guild program it could be anything from a scrappy design to a signature quilt or even a specific color group with everyone using a F8 of a given fabric to put into quilt blocks. Just a thought. This is one to put on the thinking cap for.
Again welcome to the QB. Glad to have you join us for all the fun.
Old 08-26-2021, 12:06 PM

Our guild does a variety of programs. Personally, I like that because I'm not that interested in all the presenters or programs so I'd probably not bother to go if all the programs were something I had little interest in.