Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A Quilt that you don't like >

A Quilt that you don't like

A Quilt that you don't like

Old 11-09-2011, 12:09 PM
Power Poster

i gave away two recently that i wasn't fond of. one had some lovely pieced star blocks i got from a lady in Europe and i made a wall hanging years after getting the blocks. just wasn't fond of the whole quilt.
then made a convergence quilt with Otter fabric. loved the fabric but the quilt didn't hang well. the sides bothered me and i gave up and put both quilts into my charity stuff. someone else can enjoy them-hopefully.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:35 PM

Default Me too!

Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
My usual progression goes as follows:

1. Resolve to use only items from my stash. Pick the fabric. Love it. Think it all fits together. Put it on the cutting table.
2. Hate some or all of the fabric. Switch some, go to fabric store, buy some more.
3. Cut some pieces. Decide I don't like some or all fabrics. Go to fabric store.
4. After cutting, put all auditioned and new fabrics away. Wonder why it won't fit into the spot from which it came.
5. Make some blocks. Decide I hate everything about this quilt. Grit my teeth and tough it out. Optional: Go to fabric store.
6. Complete quilt top. Procrastinate until layering is inevitable.
7. Layer. Think about quilting patterns for a few days/weeks/months.
8. Start quilting. Lay quilt on floor to look at effect. Change quilting pattern (optional) and rip out previous quilting. Finish quilting about an hour at a time.
9. Make binding. Add binding. Decide this is the ugliest quilt ever made.
10. Show quilt to someone else. They say it's beautiful. Decide they're right. Repeat this step as required until I believe it.
11. Resolve that the next quilt will have no new fabric, since now I have more than before I started this quilt.
Without a doubt, this has to be the funniest response I've ever read! Okay, I guess I am not so weird after all because I do the same thing. Hehe ... still chuckling ...
Old 11-09-2011, 12:56 PM

Yes, it happens to all of us, I think. I loved Krisb's rationale. It made me smile. : )
Old 11-09-2011, 02:15 PM

Yes--the recent baby quilt for my latest grandbaby. I didn't like the random-sized squares or fabric placement at all. My fmq was terrible (ripped it all out!) so did stitch in the ditch. I kept working on it hoping one night elves would sneak in & fix it. Sigh, they didn't show up. I did some applique on it & ended up loving that part, so went ahead & mailed it off.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:46 PM

Hey, Krisb, you and I should be meeting at the fabric store. lol I have had those times also. I've made two blocks for a quilt, and they are orphan blocks because I'm not about to make anymore.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:50 PM

How many of us have tops in storage that never saw the light of day after we finished because we didn't like them when they were done? Me! Me! Me!

Now that I have EQ, I can avoid some of that... because I can audition colors and fabrics long before I make a single cut, and often before I make an on-line purchase.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:57 PM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
My usual progression goes as follows:

1. Resolve to use only items from my stash. Pick the fabric. Love it. Think it all fits together. Put it on the cutting table.
2. Hate some or all of the fabric. Switch some, go to fabric store, buy some more.
3. Cut some pieces. Decide I don't like some or all fabrics. Go to fabric store.
4. After cutting, put all auditioned and new fabrics away. Wonder why it won't fit into the spot from which it came.
5. Make some blocks. Decide I hate everything about this quilt. Grit my teeth and tough it out. Optional: Go to fabric store.
6. Complete quilt top. Procrastinate until layering is inevitable.
7. Layer. Think about quilting patterns for a few days/weeks/months.
8. Start quilting. Lay quilt on floor to look at effect. Change quilting pattern (optional) and rip out previous quilting. Finish quilting about an hour at a time.
9. Make binding. Add binding. Decide this is the ugliest quilt ever made.
10. Show quilt to someone else. They say it's beautiful. Decide they're right. Repeat this step as required until I believe it.
11. Resolve that the next quilt will have no new fabric, since now I have more than before I started this quilt.
LOL you sound just like me!
Old 11-10-2011, 06:33 AM

krisb you are a riot and you have more stick to it than me.
I went to the shop and found matching fabrics that would make a lovely quilt. it turned out eye hurting bright and the top is now buried somewhere in my mess. I have several quilts never finished and never will be.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:18 AM

I have a Christmas quilt that I just don't like. The fabric choices are fine, the blocks are well constructed and I did a good job quilting it but I don't like it and it's living in my closet year round. My sister loves Christmas and decorating her house top to toe. I think she will be getting a Christmas quilt this year for her birthday in early December!
Old 11-10-2011, 08:29 AM

Every time I look at a quilt where every block is different, a bunch of little squares and half square triangles all arranged differently, I find myself hating them. I really don't like the Civil War type quilts with all the dark, dreary fabrics. It is just MHO. The new patterns and fabrics are so beautiful that I want to make pretty quilts. I even like scrappy quilts. I hope I didn't offend anyone because I know a lot of work goes into those quilts. I do admire the workmanship put into them.