Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A Quilt that you don't like >

A Quilt that you don't like

A Quilt that you don't like

Old 11-10-2011, 09:01 AM

I defintiely have. I am still a fairly new quilter. A few years self taught, and I notice all of my mistakes of course so I hate everything when it is done, but my family and friends love them. I AM proud to make something out of nothing and in the end usually love them but it takes awhile to get to that point. I am sure your work is lovely.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:23 AM

There have been a few blocks I have not liked. Thank goodness, I've always like the quilts I've finished.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:39 AM

I'm in the middle of one of THOSE quilts.
SIL is a diehard Saints fan, so decided on black and gold, with a Saints fleece backing.
Absolutely the most boring thing I've done. I was thinking about red for a 1.5 border, then a 4" black. Nothing seems to be right, I think I'll forgo the red and just use the black for a single border. Get it done, and out of here!
Old 11-10-2011, 09:44 AM

yep, I've done one that I think is ugly...even named it ugly on the label...but everyone else thinks it is a nice quilt....
Old 11-10-2011, 09:48 AM

Oh, yeah! I have 7 in my closet right now that are in exactly this position - stuck in the "Now what do I do" category that just doesn't seem to move on. All of them I loved at some point, then ran into a roadblock and gave up in frustration as the machine broke, needles snapped, tension quirked, colors clashed, borders wobbled, quilt patterns blanked out - couldn't think how I could finish them!

Finally put the border on one of them this week - sigh of relief. It will be a donation - made specifically to be a donation, but SO FRUSTRATING for such a simple block pattern!

Now on to others!
Old 11-11-2011, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
My usual progression goes as follows:

1. Resolve to use only items from my stash. Pick the fabric. Love it. Think it all fits together. Put it on the cutting table.
2. Hate some or all of the fabric. Switch some, go to fabric store, buy some more.
3. Cut some pieces. Decide I don't like some or all fabrics. Go to fabric store.
4. After cutting, put all auditioned and new fabrics away. Wonder why it won't fit into the spot from which it came.
5. Make some blocks. Decide I hate everything about this quilt. Grit my teeth and tough it out. Optional: Go to fabric store.
6. Complete quilt top. Procrastinate until layering is inevitable.
7. Layer. Think about quilting patterns for a few days/weeks/months.
8. Start quilting. Lay quilt on floor to look at effect. Change quilting pattern (optional) and rip out previous quilting. Finish quilting about an hour at a time.
9. Make binding. Add binding. Decide this is the ugliest quilt ever made.
10. Show quilt to someone else. They say it's beautiful. Decide they're right. Repeat this step as required until I believe it.
11. Resolve that the next quilt will have no new fabric, since now I have more than before I started this quilt.

hahahahahahahaha rofl hahahahahahahah
Old 11-11-2011, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
My usual progression goes as follows:

1. Resolve to use only items from my stash. Pick the fabric. Love it. Think it all fits together. Put it on the cutting table.
2. Hate some or all of the fabric. Switch some, go to fabric store, buy some more.
3. Cut some pieces. Decide I don't like some or all fabrics. Go to fabric store.
4. After cutting, put all auditioned and new fabrics away. Wonder why it won't fit into the spot from which it came.
5. Make some blocks. Decide I hate everything about this quilt. Grit my teeth and tough it out. Optional: Go to fabric store.
6. Complete quilt top. Procrastinate until layering is inevitable.
7. Layer. Think about quilting patterns for a few days/weeks/months.
8. Start quilting. Lay quilt on floor to look at effect. Change quilting pattern (optional) and rip out previous quilting. Finish quilting about an hour at a time.
9. Make binding. Add binding. Decide this is the ugliest quilt ever made.
10. Show quilt to someone else. They say it's beautiful. Decide they're right. Repeat this step as required until I believe it.
11. Resolve that the next quilt will have no new fabric, since now I have more than before I started this quilt.
My progression:
1. OOOh, that is pretty, I can do that!
2. I don't have anything in my stash I can use, I need all new fabrics.
3. This is harder than it looks.
4. I am such a fool for starting something so difficult. I can't do anything right. Why did i even start?
5. I have so much time and money invested in it, I need to finish it, but never again.
6. Its done, but it is so ugly and amatuerish.
7. Its not all that bad.
8. Oooh, this IS nice!
Often is several weeks or even months between 4 and 5!
Old 11-11-2011, 10:41 AM

Default Here's the one I don't like

I offered to make a baby quilt for the daughter of a good friend and sent photos of some of the quilts I'd made in the past. The one she picked was a string spider-web quilt in soft lilacs, except she wanted it made in primary colors. I started hating it after the first two blocks and had to force myself to finish it. Luckily she lives in another country, so no one will know I'm the one who made it. (this will also be a test of uploading a photo on the new board ;o)
Attached Thumbnails recent-quilts-primary-stars.jpg  
Old 11-11-2011, 10:54 AM

I sometimes decide part way through that I just don't like the way a design is working out, but I don't keep going with it at that point. For me, it's a sure sign that an intervention is necessary...and a change of direction. I've been known to overdye them, paint them, stamp them, embellish the daylights out of them, cut them up, turn them into journal covers, and/or practice new techniques on them.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:35 AM

Yes, and they are neatly folded in a bin and every now and then I look at them. I just can't seem get the motivation to finish