Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt-As-You-Go: Pros & Cons?? >

Quilt-As-You-Go: Pros & Cons??

Quilt-As-You-Go: Pros & Cons??

Old 07-27-2017, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by asabrinao View Post
I am so tired of wrestling with big quilts on a DSM. I have come to dread the quilting process because I come away with an aching body and subpar quilting. After piecing a top so carefully, it's always a little dispiriting to get to the quilting phase and feel like I'm undermining my project with sloppy and uneven stitches, puckers, etc. I never have this problem when I do a small quilt--like a table runner or a 20-inch square for a pillow.

I can't afford a long arm machine or to send my quilt tops to be professionally quilted. Even if I could, I really Want to like quilting on my DSM.

Then it occurred to me: why haven't I tried a quilt-as-you-go process?

I'm curious to hear from anyone who has tried this process. What works about this process? What are its limitations? It seems like the perfect solution to my problem--but if it truly solved the cumbersome task of quilting larger quilts on a DSM, then everyone would do it, right? So, there have to be reasons why some people don't.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Best,
A
I use quilt as you go method exclusively but it is still time consuming.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:40 AM

This is the method I basically use, but no serger. And I make mostly queen size quilts using this method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOTV-YSF-48
Old 07-27-2017, 11:02 AM

This is my first QAYG quilt, I followed various tutorials on the method, and found it less troublesome than moving a rolled up quilt through the harp.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]577399[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0001.jpg  
Old 07-27-2017, 11:43 AM
Power Poster

I was always off-put by QAG because of the need for sashings and often hand sewing of sashings. However, this is a method I would be willing to try:
https://www.candiedfabrics.com/2013/...ing-as-you-go/

Here is a slightly different QAG method, but it does not completely eliminate the "wad under the sewing machine arm" problem because the backing is added last:
http://www.accuquilt.com/shop/go-big...arter-set.html

Last edited by Prism99; 07-27-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:03 PM

All my king size quilts are QAYG, no sashing. The 6 rows are about 18" wide (so the backing is cut on the fold and 22" or less), with row 1 and 6 having an added 4 inch boarder. Some creativity is required that I wont go into. I use this method whether I am hand quilting or FMQ. After quilting, sew the rows together with 1/4" seams, trim batting to touch, heat tape or cross stitch the batting, and hand sew the backing. The one negative that might bother you is the boarder on the side is cut at the 18" mark, It has never bothered me.....again there are many creative ways to deal with it if it does bother you. And, FYI, I hate sashing on quilts, in general.........
Old 07-27-2017, 12:52 PM

I haven't done QAYG, but I did quilt a king sized quilt using Marti Mitchell's Quilting in Sections. You can decide how big you want your sections to be so quilt them on your DSM is pretty easy. You don't have to use sashing either. The only hard part is that there's a considerable amount of hand work to finish off the back. I rather enjoy handwork and spent a weekend afternoon watching some Masterpiece Theatre that I'd recorded and finishing my quilt up.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:58 PM
Power Poster

I find that the QAYG with blocks is not as pliable as a regular quilt.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:59 PM

I have made a Fun and Done pattern in Quilt as you go. I liked the process but had a hard time making the sashing even. In that method, the backing becomes the sashing.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:18 PM
Power Poster

Not exactly QAG, but I forgot to mention quilting in sections. I used Debra Wagner's method (I'm sure very similar to Marti Michell's) which involves cutting just the batting into sections. Basically what I did was lay out the batting on a large table, cut the batting into thirds using a large S motion (so I wouldn't end up later with a straight line join, but also this makes matching up the cut edges easier) from top to bottom, then used a black permanent Sharpie to mark registration lines through both pieces. The registration marks are really necessary later on to match up the batting pieces. I also Sharpie marked top and bottom of each piece (if you don't, you can end up very confused later if one piece gets turned back to front). I stored two pieces of the batting -- the middle and right side. With the left side of the batting, I layered and basted the quilt -- being sure to leave about 6" on the right side to make adding the center batting easy later on. The excess top and backing were accordion folded and lightly pinned together. This made quilting the entire left side of the quilt easier, as there was very little bulk to control under the machine arm. When done with the left side, I went back to the large table, matched up the edge of the middle piece of batting with the piece already quilted, and layered that section of the quilt.

It was work, but was worth it to me because it made the machine quilting much easier. Afterwards, you could not tell that the batting had been pieced.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:41 PM

I do both QAYG and DSM. Love them both. To do my QAYG method, I layer the backing, batting and top of each square. Quilt as desired. I then zigzag to blocks together, always keeping the bulk to the left. I do one row. Then with binding that I have made to match the backing I sew that on the back at each seam to cover it up. Then I do the front the same way. After I make all the rows, I use the same method to sew the rows together. To make the binding strips, I cut them about 1" to 1-1/4", folding the sides down as I sew. Doing the front last, you cover the stitching from the back. I've done many quilts like this and will do more. Hope this is understandable.