Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt-As-You-Go: Pros & Cons?? >

Quilt-As-You-Go: Pros & Cons??

Quilt-As-You-Go: Pros & Cons??

Old 07-27-2017, 01:47 PM

There are a few different methods of QAYG, and I think a person has to try of them to see if each method is suitable for their purpose. Some methods are more suitable than others for certain patterns. I have done several quilts using the method on the Welsh quilter's site. I think that same method has been presented here as a tutorial.

Sometimes I quilt the normal way except for attaching the borders using QAYG. Just not having the borders in the main sandwich helps reduce a little of the weight and bulk.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:04 PM

Wow. All great pieces of advice. So relieved to hear that this can be done without sashing too! Thanks for all the advice. I know one thing for sure: my next quilt is going to be a QAYG.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:04 PM
Power Poster

I have done only two. I found them to be on the stiff side. I would love to do more but I must hand quilt to get what I want. I think that is why I want to make more placemats, and table runners.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:14 PM
Power Poster

I wonder if someone could explain how to do it without sashing. I found a great way to do this using sashing but I wouldn't want to do all my quilts that way. It did help me improve my FMQ though, because I had about 12 blocks (or more, can't remember).
Old 07-27-2017, 02:28 PM

Default Joining QAYG

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
I wonder if someone could explain how to do it without sashing. I found a great way to do this using sashing but I wouldn't want to do all my quilts that way. It did help me improve my FMQ though, because I had about 12 blocks (or more, can't remember).
Queen of Stitching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6-wjaM65qs

She has a few videos on different methods. I've tried some, but I usually prefer sashing.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:51 PM

the sashing always put me off quilt as you go, I'm not a sashing fan at any time. I'm doing my 365 challenge quilt as you go with the thinnest batt possible (hobbs thermore, split in two). Each block is bound just like a quilt then I'm stitching the blocks into the whole. I'm loving them, but it would be hate with thicker batt. I may have put a tuit up on a 365 thread, don't remember now
Old 07-27-2017, 03:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider View Post
Queen of Stitching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6-wjaM65qs

She has a few videos on different methods. I've tried some, but I usually prefer sashing.
Thank you, Weezy Rider!! I appreciate your help
Old 07-27-2017, 07:17 PM
Power Poster

I have done 6 or 7 QAYG, decided I would rather do FMQ. It is much faster and I like the results better. Not usually a real fan of SITD, when I do it I sew about 1/4" from the seam, much neater for me. It also takes more time and wrestling than FMQ. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:18 AM

Marti Michell has a great book called "Quilting in Sections" that has helped me quite a bit. I often quilt bigger quilts in long strips (rows) and sew them together on the front by machine and then by hand on the back. This allows me to do FMQ much easily.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:40 AM

Lightbulb Qayg with no sashing link

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
Another following this.
One thing I've seen that I haven't liked is that it seems you have to do sashing on every quilt in order to QAYG. Is that correct?

Watson
You can Qayg with no sashing. I used the method in the link below with success. You make quilt sandwich rows and then join them. I didn't use fusible batting as shown in the video. I spray basted my quilt sandwiches.

https://www.candiedfabrics.com/2014/...go-no-sashing/
Attached Thumbnails qayg-last-row.jpg   colorful-slices.jpg