Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt as you go. >

Quilt as you go.

Quilt as you go.

Old 10-20-2019, 03:06 PM
Power Poster

I have made several QAYG, a couple the way Showbizgirl does them. Hers is in the tutorial section on this board.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:15 PM

Thank you for your helpful suggestions and some tutorials I can look at. You all are so gracious in sharing your knowledge and I just want to thank all of you for your willingness to help.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes still pictures are easier to follow than a moving video. Here are links to the two tutorials I posted here on the board:

This is my original tute for joining with a narrow join:
Quilt As You Go (QAYG) Tutorial

This is how to join QAYG blocks with a wide sashing:
QAYG With Wide Sashing-- How I Do It

Hope you enjoy QAYG. It's so much fun!
Old 10-21-2019, 09:36 AM

Thanks for sharing your tutorials again, sewbizgirl. I am trying my 1st QAYG and this will sure help me.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:25 PM

Here is Leah Day's method of QAYG. I was going to do it on the king quilt that I'm making for myself but have about decided to not put batting in the center & will just "quilt it" with all blocks sewn together. I did try her method on a placemat to see if I could do it & see if it was hard of easy. I found her instructions to be very easy to follow & the placemat turned out really good.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...53C8&FORM=VIRE

Here's the front & back of the placemat I made using her method:
Attached Thumbnails qayg-front.jpg   qayg-back.jpg  
Old 10-22-2019, 04:52 AM

Very nice, Osewme. I will start on something small. Need to take my machine for servicing so will put that thought aside for a bit. Thank you for the picture. It helps set it in my mind. Grammasharon
Old 10-22-2019, 05:33 AM
Power Poster

Once you learn the basic of how it's done then you can adapt the method to be how you like it. I usually do a quarter section at a time with no sashing strips. I like Marti Michell's method for large size quilts.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by grammasharon View Post
I would like to do a quilt as you go quilt. Can someone give me a link to a good/easy to understand tutorial or some advice on the best way to proceed with this. You all are so impressive with your beautiful quilts. I’m sorry I don’t compliment you all often enough. You quilters are my go to place for advice and the gals at my quilt retreats think I am a genius because I share so many of your ideas. So thank you for making me look good! Grammasharon

I didn't read the other advise given here, but I only do QAYG. I have made over 100 of them. I only do the kind with sashing, I do not endeavor to do them where you join the batting first. I have made many King size and Queen size this way. I didn't start quilting until I was 69 years old, and can't get down on the floor to work, so QAYG suits me. My blocks range from 10" to 14" each. (Of course you only use one size for each quilt.) I have also made a few with panels, but I think they are even harder actually.
Old 10-23-2019, 05:16 AM

I made the quilt below using Maureen Cracknell's QAYG technique. I used cotton batting and my walking foot for straight line quilting on either side of the seams. I am very happy with the way this first attempt at quilting on my home sewing machine turned out. Maureen's technique is shown at this website:

[FONT="&amp]https://maureencracknellhandmade.blogspot.com/2012/10/a-quilt-as-you-go-tutorial.html

[ATTACH=CONFIG]618872[/ATTACH]

[/FONT]
Attached Thumbnails 1st-quilt-i-quilted-qb.jpg  
Old 10-23-2019, 06:16 AM

http://www.thequiltingedge.com/p/tutorials.html
This blog has a wonderful tutorial of QAYG. Marianne is a very talented quilter. I've done the modern log cabin and it was fun!

FREE Quilting Newsletter