Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are Quilters a Dying Breed? >

Are Quilters a Dying Breed?

Are Quilters a Dying Breed?

Old 07-14-2011, 06:42 PM

You know I don't think so. I'm 50 and just learning to quilt. My grandson enjoys watching me quilt when he is here. I hope someday he will want to give it a try. We he gets a little older and a little less bouncy (he's 4 and doesn't stand still long) I will ask him if he would like to try.

I think there are enough of us out there who will pass on what we know and enough kids out there who will see the value in knowing some of the old world crafts.

No, I don't think quilters are a dying breed.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:48 PM

[
Old 07-14-2011, 06:49 PM

It's not dying in my house!! I started quilting last year when I was 17. When I was little my mom quilted all the time, I used to sew scraps together and try to quilt "just like mommy" on my play sewing machine, I don't know what happened to them though, but she had/has a lot of fabric in boxes. But when her and my dad started a lawncare business, she didn't have time to quilt. There was a period of about 10 years of no quilting, but using quilts in my house.

I was bored last summer and decided that I would make a quilt, and since I had no idea where her sewing machine went when we moved, I pieced it by hand, never again with little pieces, I don't mind big pieces, but little ones are no, but I finished it, it's as big as a pillowcase, but I'm proud of it. But at the end of the month I'll have been quilting for a year (I'm thinking a shopping trip is necessary to celebrate).

Sorry bout the rambling, but I'm not the only one, my school has a crafts class, and they embroider, sew, and make a quilt. Everyone makes the same quilt but with all the different colors, they're so pretty, and I'm told every year that they need to turn people out of the class because there's not enough room. But I honestly hope quilting will carry on. And yes, I have a laptop, iPod, and cell phone, but the phone is only because I can drive.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:13 PM

Hey now! Don't diss the video games: my big project for this year was inspired by a video game. :) lol

Seriously though, all kidding aside.........I don't think we are a dying breed just yet. If we were there wouldn't be as many quilt shops, quilting magazines and books, charity organizations that accept quilt donations, and members on this board.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:54 AM

I think with all the gadgets, electronic machines, cutting machines etc. there'll be enought to spark their interest.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:55 AM

I think with all the gadgets, electronic machines, cutting machines etc. there'll be enought to spark their interest.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:14 AM

I know exactly what you mean. Growing up my mom always sewed. Now she won't touch her sewing maching or serger because she says it is quicker and cheaper to buy thing than make them. I pulled out a quilt my grandma made a few years ago and asked her about binding. She just said she doesn't do that stuff anymore.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:15 AM

Nope. There are probably more quilters now than ever before!
Old 07-15-2011, 03:34 AM

Chiming in here too because no...I don't think so. One of my grandaughters has all of the gadgets you mentioned but...the one thing she doesn't have and wants so bad is a sewing machine. If I bite the bullet next spring and buy myself a new machine...I will give her the one I use now. It's a great machine but I want a machine more geared to quilting...lol

Actually what really got me back to sewing is a series of books I have been reading. Author is/was Amish and she writes a lot of different "series" books. I ordered her first book and couldn't put it down. Just finished the second...and the final book will be out in the fall. Amish equals a lot of quilting. The more I read I thought...Linda...it's time to drag out your quilting supplies and get back into it. Plus one of the main characters in the book left the faith and married an "Englishman". But now she has moved back home because the "English" ways seem too modern for her daughter. But she is torn between her husband and her heritage. She works in a quilt shop and talks about all of the gorgeous fabrics. So...lol...it grabbed me.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:39 AM

I don't think it will die out. The big fabric houses are leaning toward younger people all the time. Just check out All People Quilts, Amy Butler, etc. Quilting is a multi-billion dollar a year industry - it's not about to lose customers any time soon. Thank goodness.