Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilters play >
  • Quilters play

• Quilters play

Old 05-10-2011, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by cynthiaannhenry
    I am sure you would enjoy the play. Do watch for it---or suggest it-- as a community production in your area, which is how I saw it.
    Me, too, and it was wonderful.
    Brett
    Old 05-10-2011, 12:10 PM

I JUST finished doing "Quilters"!!!!! I loved it. Such fantastic stories. I'll talk to my director and see if he can give me a copy of the show. It was taped every night. Not professional, just community, but we won several awards and were told it was the best show in the past 10 years. :)Just let me know if you're interested in a copy.
    Old 05-10-2011, 12:15 PM
    Banned

The back drop on the stage is a very large sampler quilt. Can but 18 foot or more square. Each block in th quilt represents a story in the play. A second set of blocks are used by characters in the play. Typically when a local theatre performs the play the producer/director will ask a local quilt group to make the quilt. My suggestion, if anyone on the bard should get such a request is to investigate first before agreeing to make the quilt. Also, find out what will happen to the quilt and blocks after the production is finished. The reason I say this is, unless you have seen the play "the qu8lt" to be made might assume to be a normal size quilt, which it is not. Then there is cost of making the quilt. A quilt 19 feet or more square takes a lot of fabric. Each block is used at various points in the play to illustrate the subject being played out. At the end of the play, the large qult is raised or lowered for the backdrop of the stage.
    While all the blocks in the quilt are well known there is one that is not and it takes a bit of searching to find out what it is. If the materials in a queen size quilt now cost around $100, you can imagine what an 18 - 24 foot quilt will cost. Theatre producers/directors don't understand this. They just assume a quilt guild can stitch up the necessary blocks and quilt in no time at all and be joyful in being asked to do it. (btw, this comes from personal experience of having been involved with two productions).
    Just a bit of trivia about the play. It is most enjoyable to see if you have a chance.
    Old 05-10-2011, 02:20 PM

What a kind offer! Yes, i would love a copy and will certainly pay whatever costs are invovled, plus whatever you think would be approrpriate above that as a contribution to your group. . Thank you--still wanitng to share it with my genealogy class! Cynthia