Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: quilting anxieties

I'm so new that when I get some blocks done that aren't just squares of fabric, whether they are perfect or not, I just get all excited.

Last weekend I took a Hunter's Star class and made an awesome table runner. Now I have to figure out what I want to do to quilt it.

I guess my 1/4 seam allowances are off too, because all my BOM's are not the same size when I am done, squaring up is confusing for me though and I am quite afraid to cut before I really know what I am doing. I've been shown how, but I don't do it enough to get it in the memory banks.

The Hunter's Star was easy because you cut them bigger and used the special ruler to square them up.

Blog Entries
    Laura, I square up my blocks after sewing them together. BFF taught me that! I used to not do it and they were wonky.

Quote Originally Posted by marygrether
    Has anyone gotten so frustrated wanted to quit, give up the craft of quilting, how long did you stop, and what were the results of your actions?
    what were the end results?

Just a newbes thoughts here.
    No quitting allowed in quilting! Short breaks only. If you are getting frustrated, leave it for a day or two. Meanwhile, search through the tutorials on this board and ask questions. There are way too many unfinished quilts buried in the backs of closets, unused and sad. I don't have any UFO's (Unfinished Objects) but I have many WIP (Works In Progress)

Blog Entries
    I foundation-piece my triangles so no more frustration. Anytime I can do that for triangles, I do! Whenever I get to a point that I just don't want to work on a project that seems to be never-ending or frustrating, I've found the best thing to do is to put it aside and put my energies somewhere else. You also need to remember that you will get better the more you do so don't be so hard on yourself. Everyone has to start somewhere, and we really do get better the more quilts we make. :wink:

Blog Entries
    If at first you don't succeed, try a different method. The days of individually-cut pieces from card-board templates are long gone and while that method still works, there are many other ways (and tools) to make the patchwork assembly easier. Just like anything else, if you want to get good at it, keep practicing. If you give up, you'll never master the process. Only you can say how important that is to you.

For me, I know there are certain patterns and color/fabric lines that I simply do not like. I will not work with them (unless in a swap) but other things that don't work, I will stick with - even if I take a break for a while.

...giving up quilting? Only if I lose my sight and use of my hands. Perish the thought.

Blog Entries
    I should have realized that I should come here for advice! thanks for the help, I did stop today, and may not do anymore till Monday! I do have a couple of things to finish, But I can do it next week, so crocheting time! I am going to finish crocheting the towel tops!!
    and maybe a couple of other things!

Thanks again. Mary

You have the right idea....put it down for a bit and do something where success is guaranteed...and come back to it later. Preferably when not tired! I usually keep several projects going at once for this reason....right now I have a very stressful, tricky one, a bargello cut and waiting to be sewn, two quickies for my grandsons, and a beautiful one waiting for blocks to be put together. I can always find the one I'm in the mood to work on!

Blog Entries
    You know if all my points dont come out the way I want them to ,I put it away ,go on to the next one. Dont sweat it all never do come out perfectly. If one does get in a quilt,who except the Perfect ONe will know.lol I make quilts for the fun,relaxation,and therapy, dont sweat the small stuff. lol

Yup, when I go to a national show and see all the fantastic work, I think to myself "why do I even try", but then give myself a mental shake and realize I create quilts for ME not for some judge in a show. Rarely even enter a judged show as I really do not care what others think of my work. I do my best on all pieces and create what I want, not what someone else "says is good". My friends say I am an "out of the box" person. Hummm wonder just what that does mean.

I think it is good to take a break now and then to refresh the creative mind. I have several other things to play with when I feel like I am making the same quilt over and over. Once I even took a year off quilts to learn and do all about bookbinding. I am back to quilting but I know that I have other things too....
    altered books, paper crafting, writing short stories, embroidery, reading, bird watching.....mix it up and go with what your creativity tells you is most interesting in the moment. You will find you bring that joy back with you to the sewing machine.

Blog Entries
    oh yes I guess I am! binding for one and getting the squares/triangles exact, I thought I was cutting them out exact, but I still am off on some of them. I also am using a rotor cutter as well, measuring with templates and so on, but I am not still getting the right measurements! Mary
    I'm working on a "simple" quilt right now and yes, I've gotten that frustrated....now I'm just laughing at myself. :-D

It started with taking a class on Friday to make a quick quilt. The directions were given verbally with the dimensions written down in one place on the wall... It seems that I can't retain numbers in my head when I walk, from the posted dimensions on the wall, across the room to my sewing machine. By the time I got to the sewing machine, my mind had dropped the 1/2 part of cutting the material 8 1/2 wide. Then, when I looked at another dimension for the block, my brain computed cutting 2" in into 3". :oops:
    Are we getting the picture.... :roll:

Anyway, I've now brought this simple project home, made some adjustments to what the original instructions had been and I am really having fun with this project. ( Next time, I'll take a notebook with me and write EVERYTHING down.)

I've decided that this is *my* quilt and I will just enjoy it. (I never been one to follow the pack anyway.)

My advice is to do your best but make sure you *enjoy* yourself while you are doing it. Don't make things too hard on yourself and don't be so critical of your work that quilting becomes a chore.

I discovered that most people don't see all of the problems with the quilt unless you point out the problems to them..
    If they do see the problems (because they are quilters) they should have the good manners to congratulate you on making a pretty quilt.

Mary, I wish I had found this thread sooner. I received your little quilt last week but my camara is kaput and I cannot post a picture till I buy a new one. I loved your precious little quilt! It is the same color as my Janome and I have given it a place of honor under her! It makes the machine a little more quiet, I can use the edges to hold my thread catcher, and it looks so pretty peeking out from under the machine! It makes me happy when I see it there because it looks like it was made to be just where it is! So, take a little break Mary, but get back into it because what you do brings joy to people who are lucky enough receive something you have created!

God Bless

I am so addicted to quilting that I don't think I could ever quilt completely; but I did give up on a project recently that was giving me trouble. I hated working on it so much that I just didn't want to sew at all. I felt obligated to finish it, and I knew I wasn't going to be happy with it. Finally, I did something completely uncharacteristic for me and quit. I just threw it away. I actually dug it out a couple of times and looked at it again, wondering if I'd been too hasty. In the end, it stayed in the trash and is by now in the landfill. Good riddance.

I think in retrospect, I could have offered it up to someone on this board to finish, but I was so mad at it I just didn't want to mess with it any more. Don't let one project ruin your enjoyment of such a worthwhile pastime.

I put it away for whale and work on something else but i write notes to myself about what I want to do to finish it.....in case it spends a long time on the UFO plie and I forget the plan..(I forget a lot). Then the project is fresh and new again and I can finish it.

Don't quit.. :) the more you do the better you get, may want to do easier patterns for a while that look just as good, so many pretty ones out there that nave no triangles so you don't need to worry w/bias stretch, sounds like tuts to help (yay) When one or 2 go great and are pleasing to you, gives reason to try more or practice techniques that are tough on small projects, that way if you toss them not such a big investment.
    Don't think will ever stop completely, but have taken breaks and at other times lack of time or life gets in the way. :)
    Hang in There !!

oh yes I guess I am! binding for one and getting the squares/triangles exact, I thought I was cutting them out exact, but I still am off on some of them. I also am using a rotor cutter as well, measuring with templates and so on, but I am not still getting the right measurements! Mary
    Just be sure when you are laying the ruler on the fabric, for rotary cutting, that the measurement line is right on the edge of the fabric, not off the fabric. As for templates, cut on the outside edge of the line, not inside.

Hope that helps.

Blog Entries
    Hi ladies, wow what inspiration! well I have laid quilting down for the weekend, I will pick it back up Monday

I love genealogy, this is one of my faves as well, , I also like to crochet, write short stories, yes I see what you mean. I had a neat sermon "hit me between the eyes" today, The pastor gave an example of basketball players, can someone go out there and shoot a basket? course not! when you want to be that famous basket ball player, you have to train for it. throwing that basket ball over and over and over again, thats learning how to be "basketball player"
    well I got to thinking about what pastor said, same goes for anything else, quilting, crocheting, genealogy, theres steps to take to learn how to do whatever, takes "patience " too! wow! thanks group for advice , I really needed it! Mary

Yes, oh yes, and definitely yes......

I am new (to sewing and quilting) and I don't want to get frustrated and overwhelmed so that I give up ........I try and focus on how far I've come and know that the only way to improve is to practice......when I make a mistake, I try and find the answer so that I learn something

I concentrate on getting the cutting perfect, the rest I can rip out and redo until I am happy with it

....and I find the best remedy when I am frustrated is to come here and read or ask a question......the encouragement and suggestions offer a new perspective and are usually all I need to get "unfrustrated" (sp)

JudyNH

Mary, I'm a firm believer of the '10 foot rule' If it looks good from 10 feet away - it's good enough for me!!
    Also, as someone stated earlier, after the whole is made the big mistakes you thought you made will be hard to find. Don't be hard on yourself, we are supposed to enjoy our addictions!! Have you thought to take a class at a local shop or looked for a person to help one on one? Do you belong to a guild? Ask there for help with your cutting. Quilters are always ready to help - you just need to ask.
    Good luck and post a pic when you get a few blocks done. I'll just bet they aren't as bad as you think they are. We seem to be harder on ourselves than on others.

Ooh Yes, I recognise this. I'm working on a Josephs Quilt Along but mine turned out to be a disaster. Maybe this applique pattern is just to difficult for me. I quilted two times backwards and now I don't want to leave my ripper into the box no matter what happens to this quilt. I cant get the points straight together and I hate this project already. But I will finish it because I cut down a whole jellyroll for this quilt.. Wish me luck.

Lauren, I love your 10 foot rule! Thanks.

Mary, have you tried Clover Fork Pins? They make lining up seams so much easier. Take it from a blind quilter, my seams would be 99% worse without those pins.

I also like some mistakes. When looking at an old quilt, the mistakes or imprecision of old cuts seem sweet to me.

If you work on a sampler quilt, you might appreciate being able to see the growth of your skills as you progress.

Yes, when I get over my head, keep making mistakes, the quilt isn't coming together like it should, seams don't line up, tc. I think I am not good enough, I should sell my machine and all my fabric and I wouldn't have these headaches. But then I think how much I would miss it and reconsider. I am doing a BOM and have gotten frustrated with it and have put it up, I don't know if I can finish it or not. It was a Texas quilt for my husband so I probably will get it out one day.

This is what I like about quilting. When you get frustrated, you just put it aside in the U.F.O. drawer. When you're in a better mood, you work on it some more.I must in a wonderful mood these days. I took out all my U.F.O. finished four last week, three more to go!

Blog Entries
    Sometimes I get so frustrated I want to throw everything out in the yard! That is when it is time to leave the sewing room, chill out in front of the tv or do laundry or anything unrelated to sewing. Frequently after I get myself distracted by something else, I will have an "aha" moment and realize what I have been doing wrong and can go back and start over.

I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I realized that the tiny mistake that was driving me nuts would not even be apparent to most people! It was the most liberating moment of my life!

Hugsss, you are in the right place here, surrounded by new friends and cheerleaders on every side!! We all understand, from beginners like me to those who have many years of experience. I still struggle to keep my seams at 1/4" but at least am improving at seeing when they stray right away. To improve your self-esteem, just post a pic of one of your blocks, mistakes and all, and everyone will praise the things you have done right and make you smile and feel so much better. But no quilt police to pick it apart and criticize you, unless you ask for that kind of input.
    Ask your questions and there will be answers galore with many options to choose from.
    When you don't understand something, there are tutorials and pictures to study, and explanations when asked for.
    It's a wonderful place full of wonderful people. Welcome and huggggggggggs, Linda aka wildyard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast