Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: quilting anxieties

I don't know how many times you have made half square triangles (HST) but the more you do the easier it will become. Also the 1/4" seam or scant 1/4" seam is very important. Another thing that helps is starching your fabric really well before cutting. Make your HST a little bigger & cut them down to the size you need.

I know about the 13th my computer had a prissy fit and I could not get it on or or anything. Left it for a day and night letting the battery go flat then turned it on in the morning --no problem at all--thank goodness or I would be out some big money getting it repaired.

Oh dear! Just be good to yourself and cut the original a little bigger and then trim after you sew it together. Who is going to take the quilt apart and look under/inside it??? They better had not do such a thing! That is why we have UFO's. I finally got some of mine caught up and some were totally different from the orignal project. Keep trying. Not today, maybe tomorrow. For sure there will be a rainy day. Blessings, Ruth

Quote Originally Posted by marygrether
    oh yes I guess I am! binding for one and getting the squares/triangles exact, I thought I was cutting them out exact, but I still am off on some of them. I also am using a rotor cutter as well, measuring with templates and so on, but I am not still getting the right measurements! Mary

Oh please don't quit. I got so frustrated I threw the quilt I was working on in a bag, gave away all my fabric and spent my spare time reading. Ten years later I decided to try again. Now I regret all the quilts I haven't made over the years. I haven't made a perfect quilt yet and sometimes I have to tug and pull or redo to make something fit, but the final quilts are always beautiful and I get such satisfaction from them. So, don't do what I did. Just keep quilting away. Incidentally, I finished the quilt that was in the bag last year and my daughter just loves it.

Seem to be having troubles with posting things to the right place....

Has anyone gotten so frustrated wanted to quit, give up the craft of quilting, how long did you stop, and what were the results of your actions?
    what were the end results?

Just a newbes thoughts here.
    Yes, I've often been frustrated. Even packed up all my fabric and put it in the attic once. But it didn't last long. I really enjoy it too much. My advice to keep you motivated is to FINISH something. Even if it's just a potholder, having something finished keeps you going. So if you have large quilts started, put them aside for the moment, make ONE square, and make a potholder. You may have to make several to get you back in the mood, but you will!! Good luck.

I USE THANGLES WORKS GREAT YOU CAN BUY THEN IN 5-6 DIFFERANT SIZES JUST GO TO THANGLES.COM
    CRELLA

Banned
    was FED UP ,FED UP with trying to bind a quilt with a "wiggly" edge--------took AGES was ready for blowing more than a gasket ,so went on to live chat---------they were superb and calmed me down [could have cut the damn thing up] AND as I sell for dog rescue and had a stall imminent finished it AND guess--- what it sold!!!

I have had several projects that just frustrate the heck out of me.
    I put them in what I call "time out". Sometimes they are there for a few days sometimes for years.

I know that when I have trouble with something I am working on, I put it away for a while and work on something else. I find that when I go back to it I am fresh and it usually works out then.

Awww. You are not alone. No matter how perfect I cut, how perfect i try to make my seams, it seems I am always off. But you know what? Quilting is not about perfection. It is about making something, something you enjoy.

Made one this weekend and it was great until I put the last part on, then suddenly it seemed wrong. I started looking to figure out where it happened. It happened in the middle but was not noticeable until this last piece. So it is what it is, I'm not oging to take half the quilt apart to fix it.

Blog Entries
    OK ladies, today is Monday! and I got back into the quilts that I was to finish to send to some of the links here. I FINISHED them!! binding and all, and now it doesn't look bad at all!Yes I do feel better!

I don't belong to a guild, and I have thought of going to a class, just discovered Joanns is going to have a quilting class, my problem is I really don't have that amount of money to go to classes, so I have to do the best I can. I like that 10 foot rule! I will remember it from now on. Thanks, and yes I am hard on myself!

Mary

Mary, There are quilt guilds in Raleigh (I know because my sister lives there). Find one and go as a guest to see if it is a good fit for you. Ask at a quilt shop when and where the meetings are held or if there is a contact person you can call to find out all the particulars. There is alot of free help at guilds if you are a member. Just don't be afraid to ask!!

Yes, I have thought of quiting this hobby a few times myself. But Ijust stopped for a day or 2 and did some reading or even cross stitching. I don't think I can ever give up this one hobby. I love it too much. Just keep telling myself that I am not perfect and either is anyone else... I am very hard on myself in what ever I am doing, so I try not to be. I have one quilt in the closet that was my actual 1st quilt and it will stay in the closet for ever right now - I need to finish quilting it then bind it, but the seams are popping loose and I just hate that thing so don't even want to look at it for awhile. Best of luck and all on this board is here to help you and others. This is the best place to be.

I am having problems with my sashing-- they are wavy as if I pulled the fabric when sewing them. They are more pronounced now that I SID beside both sides. I get mad but do need help to understand why and if I remove those SID stitches and stipple over it --will that hide the problem( the rest is all stippled) I have put it down and walked away but since it is for the local hospital I can't leave it too long.

Senior Member Cheshirecatquilter's Avatar
    I like that 10 foot rule. My version is the 40 mph rule. Most everything looks just fine with the way we all whiz around here at top speed. And, when I'm under the quilt I have my eyes shut. In the dark. It feels just finer than fine. In fact, if you want to send me your quilt with crooked points I promise I will sleep crooked under it and be very grateful. If it's a wall quilt I will hang it crooked just to start some conversations. Truly, it's taken me a long time to be as gentle judging my own work as I am with others'.

Blog Entries
    I like the 10 foot rule too. But like my grandmothers better,No one will notice it riding by on a horse. lol

OK ladies, today is Monday! and I got back into the quilts that I was to finish to send to some of the links here. I FINISHED them!! binding and all, and now it doesn't look bad at all!Yes I do feel better!

I don't belong to a guild, and I have thought of going to a class, just discovered Joanns is going to have a quilting class, my problem is I really don't have that amount of money to go to classes, so I have to do the best I can. I like that 10 foot rule! I will remember it from now on. Thanks, and yes I am hard on myself!Mary
    I am self taught & have been quilting since 1997. Classes never worked out with me due to scheduling. You can do this! I know you can! If I can, anyone can! Yes I stopped sewing all together for 2 years. Boy it sure came back with a vengeance! And I am so thankful it did.
    :D

Dee
    Just relax and have fun. I learned-perfect yes, but not to the point you want to quit. Its your fun thing to do. Its not a production line. Go with the flow.

Blog Entries
    Kathy what an excellent idea.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Melinda for that info, I tried to measure with the ruler and well that didn't work, so an index card with the lines, I will give that a try for sure! Mary

Blog Entries
    and maybe thats another problem, I picked up something difficult for a beginner, I have to remind myself I am just learning this, I am not an expert,YET! Mary

Blog Entries
    Oh ladies, you have just about made me cry, not with sadness but with joy, that I am not alone. I will check out the guilds here in the Raleigh area, and look into the quilting classes too.
    \I took pictures of what I finished, I will get the pictures developed and try to put them on the pictures part.
    I promise when I do need help I will come back here for answers. I found the tutorial about binding, so I am going to practice the binding, oh and another thing, I am not going to quit!!
    Mary

Now that you are here with us, you will not ever be alone!! Huggggggs and smilessssss

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Hi Mary, I am a new quilter too. I still can't cut a straight line, but I keep pushing myself. Because it is so rewarding when you get it right. Everyone one the board is here to suport you, they are all wonderful. I am going to be doing Rhonda's way shortly, She is really good about teaching. So take a deep breath, and keep at it, because one of these days, we will be able to make a beautiful quilt, and won't that be a very spiecal day. God bless.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast