Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting around hand embroidery? >

Quilting around hand embroidery?

Quilting around hand embroidery?

Old 04-19-2013, 12:55 PM

Default Quilting around hand embroidery?

I just finished my first embroidery project, it's going to be a small wallhanging. I'm not really sure how to quilt around it, to hold it down. I know not to quilt over the embroidery, but not real sure what to do with it. It's a cute turtle on a log with lilly pads, water, cat tails, grass and butterflies. Should I just cross hatch? Any help would be appreciated. Maybe a website that can give me some ideas about quilting around embroidery.

Last edited by Dreaming; 04-19-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:12 PM

A cross hatch in the background would be nice. You may have to do a bit of quilting within the embroidered area to tack it down here and there. You could quilt along some of the embroidered lines, etc. However, I have heard of embroidered quilts being longarm quilted in an allover pattern, right over the embroidery, and am told it looks lovely.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:22 PM

I've seen it both ways. I saw one this last weekend where they did an oval around the embroidery work, then crosshatched from the oval out. It was so beautiful!!! My thoughts are that if you go to all that work embroidering the blocks, don't let the quilting take away from the designs....... Make them POP. How about a little extra batting under the embroidery work to make it pop -- trapunto???
Old 04-19-2013, 05:24 PM

" I saw one this last weekend where they did an oval around the embroidery work, then crosshatched from the oval out."
That's how I would do it.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:14 PM

This is an interesting question - I'm working on several embroidered quilts also - the finished ones I've seen have just been meandered over the whole top. I finished on with baby animal faces that I outline quilted the eyes, flowers, and the main face. It didn't detract from the embroidery which made me happy.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:19 PM

I'm currently handquilting a whole cloth quilt. Embroidery in the middle, the rest is plain/nothing.
So I've quilted a cross-hatch in the empty space between the flowers and the border around them. Also, quilted two rows around the border. After that, I've backed it with that pre-printed backing. So I'll just turn it over and follow the lines to finish the quilting.

Be sure to show us your project once you're done.