Quilting with arthritis? >

Quilting with arthritis?

Quilting with arthritis?

Old 11-12-2010, 04:55 PM

Thank you!
Old 11-12-2010, 04:57 PM

Thanks to all who've given advice.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:33 PM

Hi I have osteroarthritis, fibromyalgia, lupus, and I can't take any medication for it because I am allergic to it, so it really hard for me to sew but I just wanted to let you know that I still can sew most days with out to much pain, there isn't a day that I don't have pain but I can still sew, I sew for a while then I rest some and sew some more. But some days I can't but most days I can, so don't give up you will be able to sew as long as you make yourself beleive that you can. The main thing is not to give up. I have had this stuff for the last 18 years, so I am still doing pretty much what I want as far as quilting. So you can to. Just hang in there and keep the faith, and you will be ok. Big Hugs to you from me. grannyp70 (Nita)
Old 11-12-2010, 05:52 PM

Hello Nita!
I too am a granny. My oldest grandchild is a freshman at Univ. of Toledo. She wants a quilt and I'm definitely doing it! You are so very kind to send me your "pearls of wisdom." I thank you and wish you all the best with your challenges. You are an inspiration. May God bless & keep you and your family. You're wonderful!
Old 11-12-2010, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by buckeye78girl
Thanks to all who've given advice.
Thanks from me also.

I don't have any problems with my hands for quilting, cutting, sewing, etc. because my arthritis is most advanced in my left knee. The problem I have is that I can't sit in one spot for too long or my leg swells. I try to get up every once in awhile to press seams, etc. but there are times I get so intent on sewing that I forget to get up often enough. When that happens my knee sort of locks and I have to walk back and forth for a few mintues to limber up. Growing old can be a pain in the butt but it's better than the alternative. May in Jersey
Old 11-12-2010, 06:32 PM

May,
I can tell by your pic that you're a beautiful woman in & out!!! You are sooooooooooooooooooooo RIGHT saying our "issues" whatever they may be, definitely beats the alternative! I agree about getting so involved in what I'm doing that I too forget to take breaks. I think what I'll do is to set a timer next time.
The women on this site have given me so much inspiration. I feel so blessed. May you receive many blessings as well. Thank you.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:53 PM

i take the glucosamine and chondroitin daily and have for 15 years. i also take fish oil. but what really helps is to work for short periods, switch to knitting or crocheting for the same short period . i sure can get a lot done in 15 minutes! i wear craft gloves sometimes and at night i wear wrist supports. i can't take asprin or anti-inflaitories but the quilting,knitting and other handwork and things to do take my mind off aches and pains.
keep on truckin' !
Old 11-12-2010, 09:21 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by Holice
get the book "RX for Quilters" It may have some useful information.
Yay, Holice, for this shout out for Dr. Susan Mech! Susan was a customer of mine in Plano, TX; my shop premiered her book when it came out. Several of my staff and customers were featured in it. She really has some good points and suggestions for dealing with limiting physical issues for the quilter, including ideas on meds.
You can find it at Amazon right now at really good prices.

Jan in VA (that's me on the front cover, upper left corner, with a lampshade I also made beside me, LOL!)
Old 11-12-2010, 09:22 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

oops
Old 11-12-2010, 10:09 PM

What a timely topic. I've been watching the first joint below the nail on my index finger becoming deformed. And then a couple days ago it turned hot, red and hurts like heck now. I'm afraid I'm developing Heberden's nodes like my mom has on her hands. I live on anti-inflammatory meds because of my fibro and they don't seem to be helping.

All the hints on here have given me some options to try. I can't do glucosamine chondroitin because I'm allergic to shrimp. Can't do fish oil because I'm allergic to fish. Can't do the fish oil alternatives because I'm allergic to grains. Doesn't leave much help for me!

I'm going to try the hot and cold and see if that helps.

This groups is so helpful!

I hope you find relief too