Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting with arthritis? >

Quilting with arthritis?

Quilting with arthritis?

Old 11-17-2010, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by redvette54
I have OA in my lower back, right knee and carpal tunnel in both wrists. All of you are so positive, it really helps me. I get injections, take meds and try whatever to feel better. My biggest worry is I have to keep working for 5 more years and I'm a pet groomer and it's hard on the body, but I take it one day at a time now. It was last Jan. I was off work after having toe surgery (OA in my big toe too) and I found this board and you all have saved my sanity. I had stopped quilting about 8 years ago, you all inspired me to get my quilting stuff out of storage, during my time off, I turned my spare room into a sewing room and finished a UFO and have been quilting ever since. My point is, checking this board, getting back into quilting, buying and trading here has taken my mind off my aches and pains. I can come here, when everything around me is stressful and crazy and my body is hurting and relax and read positive things. Thank you all.
I guess I have it in my toes too. Sometimes I am walking and I get the most awful pains in the big toe. Doesn't matter what shoes I am wearing. I love it here too, everyone is so supportive of whatever we are going through at the time, be it working on a quilt, or having a health problem, or pet issues, as I am having now. You are all such wonderful friends, even though I have never met you.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Sew Krazy Girl
Thanks for this thread. I just recently (4 days ago) had extreme pain in my right shoulder. I will certainly look into all the recommendations you all list. Don't know what I'd do if I couldn't sew.
This is what I am experiencing. The pain is horrible. I have been going to physical therapy for 4 weeks and I am taking Tramadol with 600 mg of ibuprofen, still in pain. I know that agravating factor is quilting/sewing. I have an MRI scheduled for tomorrow.

Dr. thinks I have a rotator cuff tear. However, PT told me that just about everyone over the age of 50 has a rotator cuff tear, to some extent.
JulieM
Old 11-17-2010, 06:02 AM

I had joint replacement in my big toe. My toe was frozen with OA and it was hard to walk and there was only one pair of shoes I could wear. The surgery took about 45 minutes and I had an easy recovery. If I had a sit down job, I could have gone back to work after a week, but having to be on my feet all day, I was off a month, then worked 3/4 days for another month. The only problem I had was swelling if I was on my feet to much.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:16 AM

Hi Englishrose, Have you been prescribed Methotrexate and if so, does it help??? BTW, if anyone else is familiar with this drug I would appreciate your feedback as well. Thank you.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:47 AM

Can anyone share what med's they are taking to control their RA and what, if any side effects experienced? Thanks.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:15 AM
Power Poster

also if no one's mentioned, get those stretchy gloves without finger tips. they do help.
and ice your hands to lower inflamation and then some heat to make them feel better. pace yourself too.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by buckeye78girl
Can anyone share what med's they are taking to control their RA and what, if any side effects experienced? Thanks.
I take Meloxicam which is the generic for Mobic. I haven't had any side effects. I have been taking it about 2 years now and have much less pain in my back now. I do usually lay down for a 1/2 hour or so each day to relieve the spasms I tend to get. I have no pain in my hands, but my right wrist is almost non-flexible. And I have a terrible time with hand-stitching.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:59 AM

Thanks so much for the advice and info. Take good care!