Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is quilting becoming to modernized? >

Is quilting becoming to modernized?

Is quilting becoming to modernized?

Old 01-14-2011, 07:56 AM

LOL.. my opinion is that quilting has advanced only as far as YOU want to advance it..
No rules say you have to use rotary cutters, machines or anything else. I still cut templates.. draw them onto fabric and cut them out with scissors.. then stitch together with a needle and thread. I also use rotary cutter, mat and electric machine on others. It is just more variety.. and more options.. and therefore open the avocation (it's more than a hobby for me) to more folks.. also with my RA the "machines" make it so that I can still "play" when I'm having a flare.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:57 AM

I'm very grateful that we have such a wide range of processes and techniques available to us. If we want to go completely "old school" we can, and if we want to use the most modern updated gadgets, we can. I disagree the the creativity has been taken out of quilting - I mostly see more opportunities to be creative. Having said that, my personal line seems to be the new fabric cutters (the Go! et al) and especially computerized quilting guidance. But, my lines have been known to move occasionally...lol.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:06 AM

[quote=raptureready]As far as I'm concerned the answer is a great big YES!!!!

If I had to do it the old-fashioned way I'd never do it. While I know how to do it that way and know that I can if need be I also like the option of not having to.

When you think about it, it isn't all that different.

What used to be cardboard templates are now acrylic.

What used to be scissors are now rotary cutters
and best of all .....

What used to be day long quilting bees are now week long quilting retreats.

Yeah, for me I'll take the new stuff.[/quot

Agree 100%
Old 01-14-2011, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Airwick156
Originally Posted by amandasgramma
Well -- that's like saying cooking is a dying art because we use electric stoves instead of a wood burning fireplace! I, for one, believe my GGgrandmother would say I'm an idiot for not using the most modern convenience!!!! Okay - so I WILL admit that I'm trying to learn how to hand quilt so I can play while camping. :)
You said, "so I can play while camping" I have to tell you a story. I'll make it short.
So this one particular night, I grabbed a tablecloth, covered the picnic table with it, set up my sewing machine, grabbed my quilt, turned on the music and sat there and sewed out on the picnic table. The one elderly lady says to me "what possessed you to bring your sewing machine camping with you".
You should see the looks I get when I'm sitting at the table quilting on an old hand crank! :)

BTW, that's one of the great joys with hand crank sewing machines, I take them camping all the time and I don't need to run an electrical cord to the picnic table. Oh what fun!
Old 01-14-2011, 08:27 AM

Being a quilter for only a short time, I am grateful for some of the modern quilting tools we have available. I have arthritis in my hands and would not be able to do very much handquilting at all. The rotary cutter and acrylic rulers are a godsend for me.

I do appreciate and love handquiled quilts. They are a true work of love and art.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:33 AM

I don't think so, it's just that today we have choices. You may choose to do everything by hand. I began learning quilting from a wonderful woman who does everything by hand. Of course, she's been retired for years and really enjoys doing it this way. On the other hand, if you're a full time mom (or dad) and you have a job outside the home as well, today's methods make it possible for more people to quilt with the limited time that we have. I for one, am not a patient person. I don't think I'd be quilting at all if I had to do without the modern conveniences. Just my humble opinion.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:42 AM

I just had to put in my 2cents here. There is room in this great craft for all catagories. For those who love the hand quilt, my hat is off to you. I admire your work beyond description. The EQ workers are awesome and can do the most beautiful work. Likewise, I truly admire the long arm quilters who do such beautiful and intricate work. Quilting is no longer necessary for warmth, it is to be enjoyed at whatever level the quilter truly enjoys. There is nothing wrong with doing what you like best and then combining with another talent to compliment your beautiful work. I would never claim to do a part of the quilt that I did not do, but certainly appreciate the talents of all those who complete the project from start to finish.

My thing is that I work full time and have so many other phases in which I contribute to my church, family, etc. If I had to do the hand quilting and other "old techiniques" I could never complete a quilt. I appreciate every quilters work in whatever form. It is awesome to see the modern art quilts being sewn today because they are true art. Such talent is remarkable. On the other side, I am in awe of the handquilters who spend the hours and hours devoted to those delicate stitches. Then there are the so talented LAQ's who add so much love to the quilt tops that someone else could or would not want to do. There is room for all talents. I just enjoy the process and appreciate all the talents involved in each technique.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:45 AM

I love all the new tools and rulers that make quilting easier. But, when it comes to piecing, my Singer 201 hand crank is what I use. It gives me such pleasure, I can't adequately describe it. For me,modern, electric machines are stressful. They can't do anything BETTER for what I do. I do traditional quilts and probably always will. But, I also admire what others can do with their more modern machines. It just isn't for me.

Barb
Old 01-14-2011, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
I think there are still plenty of quilters who do not take advantage of the modern conveniences. We have many, many members on this board who hand quilt, quite a few who only hand piece and a lot who peice only by treadle or hand crank.

I embrace the best of both worlds! I love my Bernina and love my new long arm machine. I also hand quilt. I own a treadle but have yet to get her up and running so I can try piecing a top on it. I will not do without my rotary cutter!

I would like to add as a beginner Longarmer, it does take just as much concentration, skill, practice and talent to operate a longarm and getting an intricately quilted quilt as it does for hand quilting, maybe even more. I am a self taught hand quilter and I was able to pretty much jump into it with both feet and have a nice looking result in the end. I think longarming, at least if you are going to do something other then a basic meander takes as much skill if not more as the less modern techniques. Same goes for FMQ on a domestic machine. I actually think that takes even more talent and skill as it is much more difficult to manipulate the quilt through the DSM then it is to move a machine riding on a carriage over the quilt.
AMEN!!!!! I've spent 6 months learning the longarm....no other craft has taken me that long to get to a point where I'll show my products!
Old 01-14-2011, 09:47 AM

We are not all modernised David, I work by hand both patching and quilting, my only modern tools being a rotary cutter and mat, plus a plastic ruler. I get much more pleasure doing things this way.