Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is quilting becoming to modernized? >

Is quilting becoming to modernized?

Is quilting becoming to modernized?

Old 01-14-2011, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by MomtoBostonTerriers
I have one foot firmly planted on both sides of this argument. I appreciate the older quilts and think they are beautiful. I'd rather have a 50 year old quilt than a modern one.

However, if I had to quilt the way my grandmother and auntie did, I'd never quilt. I don't have the patience or time to hand piece and quilt for the hours it would take to make one quilt. Now that arthritis has set in, I don't have the physical ability to do the hand work, either. So, those old quilts have given me a standard to appreciate, and the new quilts I turnout out show that I love to continue this wonderful craft.
Though I work by hand as I have said previously, that is a personal preference. I love the quilts which are machine made also, I patch and quilt for the pleasure it gives me and all my quilts are made with a particular person in mind, I don't think you would work by hand otherwise as it takes so long. Some of the pleasure is because I know the person I am making it for will be thrilled with it, as they are all close friends or family they don't care how perfect it is though I try to make it so,of course.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:38 PM
Power Poster

I watched a documentary about women embroiderers adn sewers in Afghanistan the other night. One of the Americans over there was showing one of the workshops. It was full of industrial Juki machines - a whole row......and there was no electricity. SO the women sat on the floor and sewed on their hand-cranks, doing just fine.

From my perspective, I think it is wonderful to have and use a modern machine but I also need to be able to use a needle and thread. The trick is in balancing the appeal of the hobby with the sense of accomplishment. Cranking out projects for the sake of finishing without appreciating the craft is not my goal.

.....and every time I sit with my trusty ripper, I feel very humbled - despite my fabulous modern gadgets.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:05 PM

I dont see how it matters which way you do it. What ever fits into your lifestyle and helps you to enjoy what you are doing, works for me. People make beautiful quilts both ways and whatever helps you to finish a quilt is best. Finished is better than perfect.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:15 PM

The first quilt I ever made was done entirely by hand. Made cardboard templates, marked fabric, and cut with scissors... Hand pieced... Hand quilted. It's nice to know how to do it, especially when I get to blocks that are easier to piece by hand, but I'd never give up my machine.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:18 PM

In my first quilt class, we hand pieced, hand quilted and hand appliqued. It gave me a deep appreciation for the old way of doing things. I still hand quilt (sometimes)and hand applique, but as with any other art or craft, things evolve. There's a place for old and new techniques. And both old and new techniques result in beautiful things.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
From my perspective, I think it is wonderful to have and use a modern machine but I also need to be able to use a needle and thread. The trick is in balancing the appeal of the hobby with the sense of accomplishment. Cranking out projects for the sake of finishing without appreciating the craft is not my goal..
How well said! I agree with you 100%
Old 01-14-2011, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by davidwent
I know we can whip out amazing quilts in days instead of weeks/months, I am just wondering if new is always better?
David
David, I will not live long enough to hand piece and hand quilt anything larger than a pot holder!!! :lol:

I love my rotary cutter, rulers, templates, Janome, and especially my Innova longarm! I started a wall hanging almost three years ago with fabric I bought on my trip to Australia...I've almost got the 4 center triangles hand quilted and it will probably take me 10 years to hand quilt the whole thing!!
Old 01-14-2011, 01:55 PM
mim

Originally Posted by Izaquilter
I know I'm reallllly gonna ruffle some feathers here with this reply but I do think modernazation (is that a word) is taking alot out of quilting. Not so much the tools & the sewing machines because that is all I have ever known but the long arms. Sure I'd love to have one but will not allow myself to go to that extent. If you go to quilt shows now, almost 90% of the quilts are all done by long arms & it really really takes the creativity out of quilting. A really good piecer can put a top together & then send it off to a really good machine quilter but let me tell you, I have been going to quilt shows since 1992 & there is NO comparason to the quilts now & the quilts back in 1992. More of them were done by one persons creativity. Now it's who pays the most to their favorite long arm quilter. I know several long arm quilters & have only had 2 quilts done by them. It's just not the same as if you had done it all yourself. I feel like I'm cheating. I now see how my aunt felt going to the quilt shows. She hated it when machine pieced quilts were first allowed! So the old is the best for me!
I just got a baby quilt back from Charismah -- she did a wonderful job on her long arm. and I love what she did. Some Machine quilters can ruin a beautiful quilt design because the stitching doesn't enhance and add to the artistic value.

I am a hand quilter and would not send out a quilt that I really thought was special. (and the recipient). I don't give my quilts to anyone just because they are a relative either.

Just my opinion -- I do think that the shows should separate the two.

That said -- I have hand sewed one quilt in my life -- never again!!! I was living on the road in motels for my job. Now I only machine sew but still hand quilt.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:53 PM

You do the old way.I'll do the new way.Mary
Old 01-15-2011, 03:42 AM

Haven't read all the thread,so this is just off the top of my head.I started quilting way back when,using a pic in a BH&G mag...King size no less.Didn't know what a rotary cutter/mat was,knew nothing about buying fabric.basically knew nothing at all about making a quilt.Why did that pic grab me?
I drew that small shape on cardboard,held it against fabric & cut out well over 3000 pieces 2x3".Sewed them together on a Singer FW & to make my 1st quilt called "Pioneer Braid"it was put away with 3 more made the same way.Had no clue about finishing them. The so called beginning to end quilting book said "finish as desired".
A good friend said her sis in law would do them on her LA machine (?), so off they went.A few wks later,she brought them home while we had company.There I stood, in front of friends with tears in my eyes.They were & are so beautiful. Not perfect by a country mile,wonky even.What did bias mean? How do you square up a block or a quilt?
That was my start in quilting.Today I have a great machine, own all the notions & have a stash in my quilting room.Still learning & loving quilts.
No,I wouldn't trade my 1st quilts but neither would I take anything for what I have/use today. JMO