Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting on blocks with sashing >

Quilting on blocks with sashing

Quilting on blocks with sashing

Old 10-22-2018, 09:19 AM

Default Quilting on blocks with sashing

I have a quilt layered and ready to quilt but I have a question about the process of quilting the top. I usually SITD around all the sashings first except the outside sashing and then do the blocks and then the outside sashing, then border(s). But sometimes the sashing gets out of shape and I wondered if there was another order in which the quilt top should be quilted to eliminate wonky sashing.
Here is a pic of the top that I will be doing small stippling around the Sues and Sam and SITD for the sashing. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]602912[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails sunbonnet-sue-sam.jpg  
Old 10-22-2018, 09:55 AM
Power Poster

I would do the same as you ... SITD all the sashings first.
However, I would do all ... including the outside edge of sashing.
It's the same fabric, and same look, so the same treatment at the same time.
That should keep your sashings lined up well.

A couple of other thoughts about potential wonky-causes .....
* Do you check as you make the sandwich that the sashings are straight and square?
* Because I see you have pinned your sandwich ... does shifting happening, as you handle the quilt, while you do the SITD step?
Old 10-22-2018, 10:31 AM

I'm lucky enough to have access to a long arm quilter now, but I spent years working with my vintage machine both using safety pins and spray basting. I used a lot more pins than you have, at least all four corners of each of the Sue blocks and probably 4 more in the middle of each side, maybe one in the bonnet. And then probably at least 2 in each long piece of sashing. My fingers were always hurting from all the pinning but my stuff did not move!

I'd carefully roll up the long sides and start out by doing the long center sashing. Then I'd turn it and do the middle sashing row. Then go back and do the other inner long sashings, turn again and do the short way, and then around the edge.

Once the sashing stitching is in and the quilt is what I called stablized, I'd take out the pins except for the one in the bonnet.

I really like Sam hiding out with all the Sues
Old 10-22-2018, 10:56 AM
Power Poster

Rather then do all the sashing, I tend to go by quarters. I stitch the center sashing top to bottom. I then stitch the horizontal sashing in the center of the right side from the first center stitching line out. I then work on the top right hand quarter of the quilt. I stitch the sashing working from the center out and quilt inside the blocks. Once the top right hand corner is complete, I move to the right bottom quarter to quilt it.
Once the half is quilted, I turn the quilt around to do the next quarters. The second half I have to quilt upside down but doing it this way keeps less quilt jammed into the machine harp.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:25 AM

Top was glue basted and then some pins were added for extra stability. I will add more pins and see how the quilting goes. Will continue to quilt SITD as usual and see if the additional pins helps. Thanks for you suggestions.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by AlvaStitcher View Post
Top was glue basted and then some pins were added for extra stability. I will add more pins and see how the quilting goes. Will continue to quilt SITD as usual and see if the additional pins helps. Thanks for you suggestions.
I baste with white thread after taping down backing and pinning the sandwich. I have never had a pucker on the back. Yes, I know it's a lot of work!
Old 10-24-2018, 03:09 AM

Like Iceblossom, I suggest that you use more pins. It really makes a difference although it’s hard on your hands. I’m lucky to be in a quilting group- we all pitch in when sandwiching a quilt. Many hands do make light work.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:33 AM

I use the Kwik Klip tool for all the pinning. Makes a huge difference for me.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

The denser your quilting, the more it "draws in", or pulls together. If you are planning a small stipple in your blocks and only STID for the sashings, the sashings are likely to look puckery, even if you anchor them with STID first. That small stipple is denser quilting. Try doing some sort of squiggle or loop in the sashings to add more quilting. It will absorb any puckering and look more balanced. Or you could quilt diamonds, lines, anything to add quilting in the sashings.