Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting craft items to sell >

Quilting craft items to sell

Quilting craft items to sell

Old 05-05-2010, 11:43 AM

I recently found this same idea and thought it would be great. I have made some others that were made just a little bit different. Now I have been going through my stash and have started to make a bunch of them for Christmas gifts. I make up sets of 4. I have several groups of ladies that I do things with and I like to give them some little thing for Christmas. So I am killing 2 birds with one idea It's also a way to use up pieces of batting that was left over from larger quilting projects. I hate to throw anything away and this is a way to use up all those bits and pieces.
Originally Posted by Henriellen Kibler
Hi, for small things to sell, of course place mats might work or napkins. But when you say small, there are these new coasters that you twist on to stem ware. You make a set of 6, 8 or 12 all different colors or same colors but different designs. This coaster serves two purposes. One to protect your furniture from moisture and two to identify your personal glass. If you are having a party were people are wandering around and they set their glass down and someone else sets theirs there they can tell who's who. I have forgotten where I found the pattern, but it is real simple. You cut 5 squares about 5 inches square. Actually I think it should be 6 squares. You also use one 5" square of batting. Four of your squares the same and the other two of another design or color. Fold the two squares to form a triangle and two squares from the other design or color to form a triangle. Take your last two squares and sandwich the batting between. Now alternate your 4 triangles around the flat squares with the raw edges on the outside. You should have three folded points at each corner. The last triangle you put down you have to left the first triangle corner and slip the last corner under. That way you will have something like half square triangles.
It helps if you pin your corners to the bottom pieces. Then sew around the outside edges and turn your coasters inside out. and you are done. It is really much easier than it sounds.
Good luck with your Quilt Show.
Henri
Old 05-05-2010, 12:18 PM

Our quilt guild raffles off a basket filled with things donated by one or two smaller quilting groups. Fatquarters, rotary blades, notions, batting, etc., a gift certificate to your LQS. If it's near a holiday you could do a theme basket using patriotic colors for 4th of July, or fall colors for fall holidays..
Craft items could be throw pillow covers, or doll quilts/wall hangings.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Originally Posted by macgma2001
i'll bite, whats a potatoe bag?
Don't feel bad - I learned about the potato bag here too.

If I remember correctly, it also doubles as a tortilla warmer.

Thanks Up North for the link.
People also use the bags for cooking corn on the cob. Since it's a staple of mine that I sell at craft shows I can tell you I hear a lot of stories as to what people use them for. The one caution - never use a poly fabric or filling as they can and do melt in the microwaves! Always use 100% cottons.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:38 PM

How about ice cream cone holders from pot holders?
Old 05-05-2010, 12:39 PM

How about pot holders that just go over a frying pan handle, bottle holders, small change purse, small hand tied doll quilts or maybe even coasters.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:57 PM

Pillow cases, kids items, coloring book cover with crayons. Aprons.

Cookie
Old 05-05-2010, 04:02 PM

A good way to get rid of extra scraps. Do mystery bags for so much. figure minimum yardage in bag and sell for a set amount
Great way to trade fabrics and the guild wins because they get the funds.

Our guild has a boutique at our show. We do charge admission so the guild gets ten % of our sales. We do not limit it to quilted items but anything the guild members make. Some so wood racks, purses, stained glass, tye dyed clothes. Members donate books and magazines they are finished with and we sell them for books 1-2 $ magazines .25-.50. It is amazing how fast it adds up.
Also if people have fabric they want to part with you could have them premarked so much a yard and the quantity marked on it.
If someone has a green thumb, Plants are also nice. Everyone wants something different. If you do plants use interesting containers.

Spice
Old 05-05-2010, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Up North
http://web.archive.org/web/20071202190308/http://www.atimetostitch.com/potato_bags.htm
Wow, the secone one you listed is a great site. Thank you for sharing this.

:thumbup:
Old 05-05-2010, 05:21 PM

Luggage tags are easy and sell well, i found a tutorial then changed it to suit what i had in mind. They sold well not only for luggage but for backpacks and computer cases.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:59 PM

This is a new one to me. What is a sausage pillowcase?