Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting With Crochet String >

Quilting With Crochet String

Quilting With Crochet String

Old 01-22-2018, 07:34 AM

Default Quilting With Crochet String

I have a quilt top that has been waiting for me to finish for about 2 years, so I finally got it out and sandwiched it. I really hate machine quilting...it's hard work on my little DSM! So, I decided to hand quilt it using crochet thread and a big stitch, (about 4 stitches per inch.) The work is going pretty fast and so far, I like the look. However, I do wonder about how it's going to hold up and also, how I should be tying off the loose threads. Right now, I'm just taking a tiny stitch and burying the thread. Anyone else ever used crochet thread to quilt with? Tips?

Thanks,

C
Old 01-22-2018, 07:41 AM
Power Poster

I do big stitch with size 12 thread which is the same as two strands of floss. Crochet thread is fine if you can pull it through the quilt. I have used it before when tying a quilt and it wore me out getting it through the quilt.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:55 AM

I big stitch just about everything. I have tried all the crochet thread sizes and find that #10 is very hard to pull through the fabric, but size #20 and #30 are great. They generally only come in white or ecru, so I bought a bunch on EBay and will play around someday with dying them. I would think it should hold up fairly well, women made table cloths and bedspreads from cotton crochet thread and they held up well, so quilting with them shouldn't be a problem. I also use Perle cotton size 8 and 12 (size 5 is a bear to pull through the layers), and 12 wt thread. Have used 3 strands of embroidery thread on small items when it's the only thread I have in the right color, but it probably wouldn't stand up to the wear and tear a big quilt gets with use.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:23 AM
Power Poster

I love the Sew Sassy line of 12 wt thread from Superior Threads. I bought the whole line when it was on sale. It's wonderful for machine quilting and for the big stitch. Also great for hand blanket stitch and hand embroidery. If anyone is interested in the bigger threads give it a try.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:56 PM
Power Poster

When I tie a comforter, I use 2 strands of crochet thread. If it is hard to pull the big eye needle through, I use a small pair of pliers.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:40 AM

Thanks everyone. I don't know what size my crochet thread is. Our puppy got a hold of the ball and tore the label off. The thread goes through fine, but I agree with Jingle, the big eye of the needle makes it hard to pass it through the layers. I keep my leather thimble on the whole time and that helps.

How are you ending your threads? I'm just taking a tiny stitch (as tiny as can be expected with such thick thread,) then run it through in between the layers, pull it back up and snip it off.

~ C
Old 01-23-2018, 08:12 AM

The only down-side I've heard about big stitch is the long stitches can more easily get caught on something.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:18 PM

I have not quilted w/crochet thread. SO, I'll be watching for photo posts along the way. Why? because I could learn to love long stitches.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:18 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
The only down-side I've heard about big stitch is the long stitches can more easily get caught on something.
I've big stitch quilted for 2 decades (We taught it in my shop which I closed in 2001).

I have used crochet thread and a large-eye needle like a John James between in the larger sizes, or even Sashiko needles. I usually knot and pull thru the fabric, then rub my fingernail back and forth over the site to close the hole. Occasionally it's hard to pull a knot thru so I use the method you mentioned, weaving thru the layers inside the quilt.

I also use 12 wt. Sulky cotton thread, perle cotton embroidery floss balls, and other threads.

When one has a problem with "things" getting caught in the stitches, it's usually because the stitches are too large. They really should be less than 1/4 long; we taught about 5-6 stitches to the inch (top counting only).

Last edited by Jan in VA; 01-27-2018 at 10:22 AM.