Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilting with Embroidery Machine? >
  • Quilting with Embroidery Machine?

• Quilting with Embroidery Machine?

Old 01-14-2016, 07:42 PM

I am still on the fence on if I really want an embroidery machine. I have wondered if I could use it for quilting my quilts with it. I haven't convinced myself of it yet. Anyway, I saw this 'Edge to Edge Quilting by Amelie Scott on an embroidery machine: demonstrations: //search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?...&hsimp=yhs-004Double ' a while back and thought it looked interesting. Maybe someday I will give in and by a machine.

Last edited by Jannie; 01-14-2016 at 07:46 PM.
    Old 01-14-2016, 08:35 PM

I did a king sized quilt with a jumbo hoop and still felt like it took forever and way too much hooping and centering. The look is fantastic, but I had to watch it constantly to be sure the weight of the quilt didn't pull or bind the mechanism. I love it for smaller quilts.
    Old 01-15-2016, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by ladydukes
    Since I don't have an embroidery machine, I have not tried to quilt on one. But, I do have a question about machines for quilting. My BFF in TX has the top-of-the-line Brother embroidery machine (I can't recall which one because she has Brother embroidery machines) and the retail cost of her machine was around $12k. She also has a (used) Gammill that she paid about $11k for. So - my question is - would purchasing (some) LA quilting machines be just about the same price as purchasing an embroidery machine to use for quilting?
    You don't have to have a top of the line machine. My Brother PE-770 cost about $600 online. I can quilt with it if I want/need to. The only drawback is the largest design you can do without re-hooping is 5x7. You can do larger designs you just have to re-hoop and make sure it's aligned properly.
    Old 01-15-2016, 11:47 AM
    Swap Hosts

Here's a table runner that I just finished using my Brother PE 770. I haven't ironed it and it's sort of puffy on the back so I might actually add more stitching. At least SID. But maybe not.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]540205[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]540209[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]540210[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails pansy-paisley-runner-4.jpg   pansy-paisley-runner-back.jpg   pansy-paisley-runner-2.jpg  
    Old 01-15-2016, 04:43 PM

Thank you everyone for sharing your tips and pics! I'm so excited to try it now.