Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting with Embroidery Machine? >

Quilting with Embroidery Machine?

Quilting with Embroidery Machine?

Old 01-13-2016, 06:24 AM
Power Poster

Yes, several quilts. It takes a lot of time but worth it.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:26 AM

I've done 3 so far. yes it takes time, but not really anymore time than FMQ does, at least for me. I set up on the dining room table so there is plenty of room to support the rest of the quilt. I'm working on one right now that is 120x120 and it's a combination of crosshatching with embroidered feathers in the solid blocks. I have more time than money so this gives me custom LA look for less.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:19 AM

I was laying in bed last night thinking about this! I have an older Brother Innovis (1200?) I use it for my labels and embroidery names on things for family and friends. I was thinking of doing it block by block with me stitching in the ditch first. I have baby blanket ready to quilt. You have given me the encouragement!
Old 01-13-2016, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

When I worked at the casket company, I had a Tajima professional machine. I used it for quilts and tablerunners. I was able to use great designs on that big machine. Go for it!
Old 01-13-2016, 11:13 AM

I can't imagine how to get the quilt in the hoop and handle the rest of the quilt. I bought some quilting embroidery designs, but think I might have to do a quilt as you go techinque.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:00 PM

Krystna, I look forward to seeing your pictures.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:27 AM

Could someone who has quilted with their embroidery machine explain the process. I've tried a few times with very mixed results so obviously not quite got the method correct. TIA
Old 01-14-2016, 03:11 AM

just do a search for single run embroidery designs or quilting embroidery designs. I have feathers and hearts....lots of different quilting motifs and my biggest hoop is a 5 x 7
Old 01-14-2016, 03:28 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Pennyhal View Post
I can't imagine how to get the quilt in the hoop and handle the rest of the quilt. I bought some quilting embroidery designs, but think I might have to do a quilt as you go techinque.
My thoughts exactly! I like the idea someone else mentioned about quilting embroidery designs on a table runner to decide if you like the process.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:19 AM

I use my embroidery machine and Edge-to-Edge Quilting designed by Amelie Scott Designs for most of my baby quilts. Her book has really great instructions for doing this. I have downloaded a picture which hopefully shows the quilting on one of my quilts. The book includes a CD with 10 quilting designs, and then I think she has 3 more CD's with additional designs. I have never been happy with my free motion quilting but I love quilting with my embroidery machine.
Attached Thumbnails letitbeecu.jpg