Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Quilting FuPaw >

The Quilting FuPaw

The Quilting FuPaw

Old 11-21-2010, 04:54 AM

Sorry about your accident. If no one else has given you "permission" to cry I will! I fell last Feb and did a lot of damage to my teeth, nose (not broken though)and lip. After getting the cuts stitched up and being brave for what seemed like days (about three hrs really) I asked my husband if I "could cry now?" and he said yes when the snickers stopped.

Hope you heal fast and finish your project (if you still want to) quickly.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:58 AM

Such a painful lesson to us all. We feel your pain. Heal quickly and well. Thanks for sharing, it will make everyone more careful.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:19 AM
Power Poster

Oops....I'm so sorry that you hurt yourself! Also really glad that your BFF has more sense than you and took you to the hospital! :lol: Heal up soon!
Old 11-21-2010, 05:37 AM

im glad you went to the hospital,and got it took,en care of i hope they gave you a shot for infection i cut my finger a year ago but not with rotery cutter i got cut with a glass coffee pot that crack when i was filling it with water ,i got a deep cut bleeding that would'nt not stop so my husband took me to hospital,just like you i got 9 stitch's but that hurt because doctor put needle right inside the cut wow very painful,now you just keep your hand clean and keep your arm up level so you won,t put to presser on hand ,hope you heal fast
Old 11-21-2010, 05:58 AM
Power Poster

Wishing you a speedy recovery and glad to hear that you didn't damage any nerves or tendons in your thumb. Lesson learned, it has been awhile since I changed my blade...going to do it now.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:01 AM

It is a lesson to all of us. I got my lesson a few years ago, when working with a stubborn storm window. Almost cut off my whole thumb. I've learned, don't do anything that could harm your hands, if you can get someone else to do it like a neighbor or a son who lives over 100 miles away. Just ignore the problem until it goes away. Next time your cutter blade don't work, either replace it or check to see if there is a thread around the connection. Don't ever force it.

Originally Posted by Katia
Oh my, so sorry you cut your thumb. I sure hope this is a lesson to all of us rotary cutters. Be careful !
Old 11-21-2010, 06:23 AM

When it is closed and they are ready to take the stitches out put Neosporin on it to lessen the scarring so that you will be able to bend your thumb normally without it pulling and feeling stiff. Put it on every day.

We did this with my granddaughter when she fell off her bike and had stitches in her face. As a matter of fact we put the neosporin on from the getgo and she does not have any trace of scarring.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:25 AM

Bad timing with the holiday so close, however, planning can always be done....right or left? So sorry for your "oowey"
Old 11-21-2010, 06:29 AM

WOW!! You really did a job with the rotary cutter. I've slice the side off of my left index finger a couple of times. But I have to say mine didn't hurt too bad because I had a really sharp blade, but it did bleed quite a bit! Hope your finger heals nicely and quickly.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:08 AM
DJ

I'm glad to hear you're back to quilting!

I want to thank you for posting this. Yesterday I was cutting fabric and kept telling myself I needed to change the blade but didn't. Thankfully, I didn't injure myself, but with this warning, I will definitely change the blade before doing any more cutting. I do use the gypsy gripper ( http://www.thegypsyquilter.com/thegypsygripper.htm ) on my large ruler, though, so that is much safer. I love it.