Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Quilting FuPaw >

The Quilting FuPaw

The Quilting FuPaw

Old 11-21-2010, 10:27 AM

OH MY that must be a really sore owie. Take good care of it, I'm sure you have a lot of projects to finish up. Oh, and by the way. Change the blade.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by CruisingStef
I was studiously working on cutting out my quilt blocks several weeks back. I was having trouble with my rotary cutter skipping, so I figured I would "push" it hard and fast. Well that was really stupid of me to do that, because it slipped and cut my thumb. OUCH!! :XD: I ran to the kitchen crying and bleeding, praying that it would soon stop. Instinctively; I ran it under water, which only made it bleed more but I could see it wasn't that deep. Geez-----how dumb can one be, I got the blood to subside long enough for me to go call for help.

When my friend came, he almost passed out! O.K., he says, lets go to the hospital. No, I cried even more. It's not that bad, just a little blood. "But you've got a flap of skin there that's about to fall off. You need to get to the hospital."
" Alright, but only because I don't want to argue with you."
When we got there, we waited with a blood-soaked thumb for about 15 minutes. Then they took me right into the Fastrac and numbed it to stop the bleeding, and to my surprise they sewed it up with 7 stitches. The rotary cutter went down the middle of my thumb, they say I will lose the nail. I'm lucky though, it could have been much worse, I could have lost my entire thumb.
~~~~But this was only a minor setback.~~~~~
I can only laugh about it NOW....I did the same thing in September except my index finger was over the edge and I cut it through the nail, about 1/3 of my finger, with the flap about an inch long....sounds like yours. I didn't go to the hospital either; I would have to be dying to do that, so I pressed it together (it doesn't hurt long because of the clean cut) but two days later my husband made me go to Urgent Care. That is so much nicer and cheaper ($40 copay) than an ER. He butterflied it but I liked it better the way I did it and took that off after two days. Minor setback is right....I was quilting the next day but got a "clutz glove" a few days later on Ebay. Amazing how slow you cut after something like that, isn't it? LOLLLLLLL
Old 11-21-2010, 12:48 PM

hello : hope you get" all better" soon, lots of folks here are praying for a good recovery. I' m in Winter Haven, is there something I can do to help you?
Jacie
Old 11-21-2010, 12:49 PM

hello : hope you get" all better" soon, lots of folks here are praying for a good recovery. I' m in Winter Haven, is there something I can do to help you?
Jacie
Old 11-21-2010, 12:50 PM
Power Poster

owie, owie, owie...mice have a low threshold to pain.
That's it, I'm either getting guards for my rulers or some of those gloves..um, what are they called?
I'm a klutz on two hind paws...don't want to learn the hard way.
thanks for sharing. Sorry you had to. Glad you didn't argue either. hugs :thumbup:
Old 11-21-2010, 01:03 PM

Thanks to everyone. I will get a pair of Klutz gloves off Ebay. I get my stitches out Tuesday. But as someone mentioned on the board, it's surprising how slow I use my rotary cutter now that this has happened.

A special thanks for all your prayers. I'm convinced that if it weren't for my quilting buddies, I would not be healing so quickly. Thanks loads.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:30 PM

I think all quilters have a finger story and I hope yours gets better. I agree, if you needed that much pressure you should stop I didn't say I would have either. I know how cutting off a finger slows us down. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Old 11-21-2010, 01:44 PM

Ouch! Hope you heal quickly...and thanks for the story will remind me to be careful when using my rotary cutter.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:06 PM

MY HUBBY CAME IN THE DOOR......CALLING MY NAME "I THINK WE MIGHT NEED TO GO TO THE HOSPITAL.THE LAST TIME HE DID THIS IT WAS VERY MINOR...SO I KEPT ON SEWING....THEN I HEAR "I MEAN WE REALLY NEED TO GO TO THE HOSPITAL". SO I WENT TO THE KITCHEN WHERE HE WAS PULLING OFF HIS GLOVES AND POCEEDED TO SHOW ME 2 AMPUTATED FINGERS HOLDING ON BY THE SKIN........CAUGHT THEM IN THE SNOW BLOWER..WHICH HE HAD USED FOR OVER 20 YEARS. THIS IS TWO YEARS LATER AND $35,000.00 TO SAVE THE FINGERS.
LUCKILY WE HAD GOOD INS....WE ONLY PAIN $100.00 OUT OF POCKET. THIS GOES TO SHOW YOU, YOU HAVE TO BE CAREFUL NO MATTER HOW LONG YOU HAVE DONE SOMETHING.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:04 PM

I am so glad you didn't lose your thumb ! Take care !