Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is quilting in general a dying art? >

Is quilting in general a dying art?

Is quilting in general a dying art?

Old 09-24-2010, 06:34 PM

From what I have seen, read and hear about, quilting has been steadily increasing in popularity since the early 80's. Not only is it a fabulous hobby to get into but it is a very lucrative business for the fabric manufactures', etc., it's a booming business!
Old 09-24-2010, 08:17 PM

I don't think it is dying at all. I think the focus is shifting in some areas to more modern and artsy quilts for the younger generation. But also there is the traditional and I see more quilters everyday joining in. Just came from the NW quilt show in Portland, OR and from what I saw, it is far from duying!
Old 09-24-2010, 08:28 PM
Dee

I don't think its a dying art. Look how many quilters there are everywhere world wide. Not dying in Pa..
Old 09-24-2010, 09:11 PM

There are at least 90 guilds in Southern California alone. Sounds pretty healthy to me!! :D
Old 09-24-2010, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by C.Cal Quilt Girl
Hopefully growing again with Boomers retiring and more time on there hands, might as well be filled with fabric :)
Boomers are currently being forced, by the economy, to take early retirement at lower rates just to survive! When Walmart quits selling fabric, I hope someone will pick up the slack, or when my stash is gone, I am done quilting. I used to be able to buy fabric at Sprouse-Reitz stores, then Payless, now Walmart. I am beginning to think that quilting, and home sewing in general, is going to become the playground of only the 'well to do'. Now I'm depressed. :thumbdown:
Old 09-24-2010, 09:26 PM

Personally I think there has been a resurgence in quilting over the last number of years and seems to be growing interest all the time.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 09-25-2010, 04:27 AM

I think that quilting is alive and growing in areas where empty nesters are settling or there is an increase in the retiree population. I have always loved working with fabric and when I went from "the salon" to a yarn mill, I was drawn to quilting as a creative outlet. The fabrics available now are just so beautiful, I would have to have them in the house even if I didn't quilt. Am I a fabriholic? Ya think?
Old 09-25-2010, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6
I think all of the fiber arts are making a comeback.
It seems to kind of go in cycles which one is on the ascendency at a given time. With all the interest in the pieced totes, it looks like mainstream fashion is picking up on the interest in quilting.
I agree about the cycles -- just look at the styles in clothing. The seventies look seems to be all the rage today. And at 70, that style just doesn't DO for me.

:lol:

Looking back at the different crafts, etc. I dove into -- first, of course it was making all of my clothing, and then the girls', then it was decoupage lessons, macrame lessons, oil painting, smocking, heirloom sewing, cake decorating, quilting. Aahh, at last quilting! Oh, and scrapbooking, quilting...........
Old 09-25-2010, 06:36 AM
omt

I did the newsletter for my quilt guild last year & found the following information on quilting. In 2000 Quilter's Newletter had a survey of 2500 quilters in U.S.

They found Total U.S. Quilting Industry Value
• $118.02 average annual household expenditure, a 17.3% increase over 1997
• $1,836,456,111 total annual U.S. quilting expenditure ($1.836 Billion dollars)
• Value of U.S. quilting industry has increased 51.6% since 1997**

I don't know if there is a more recent survey, but I am sure expenditures are down because of the economy
Old 09-25-2010, 06:59 AM
MNM

Originally Posted by moonangel12
Forgive me if this has already been discussed... I know there was a topic on hand quilting possibly being a dying art, but what about quilting in general? I have turned one friend on to quilting, and have another one that's shown interest, but never got bit by the bug (she has memories working alongside her grandmother, but hasn't done anything in recent years). I am younger so I know I am in a different generation, but I really don't want to see it disappear. In recent years it seems like crocheting and knitting came back around, but I don't know about quilting just yet. Maybe it just hasn't caught on in our area? What do you think?
In my area you cannot spit without hitting a quilter , weaver, spinner,knitter or crocheter. We have so many little quilting groups that meet in private homes or at the schools or Fair Grounds. Hundreds of quilters in classes. Our LQS has some kind of class going all the time. And don't forget the quilting cruises. On my bucket list to do. MNM