Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting guilds >

Quilting guilds

Quilting guilds

Old 06-04-2010, 05:49 AM

I recently joined a guild, probably 35 membrs. No annual dues, when you sign in at the meeting, you pay $1.00. We have a Pres., Sec., treasurer, and sunshine lady. Ther is a sharing table, bring something to sell, cheap, proceeds to the local food pantry. We work on Quilts of Valour, and supporting the drive for a "comfort home" in our county. We donate individual quilts, and presented them with a big quilt to raffle. One lady picks a quilt BOM pattern, and decides the colors for it. When you bring the block in, you put your name in the box, somebody takes the blocks home to make a quilt. There is also social events, tomorrow is a shop hop. Being as I don't have a quilting friend, I have really enjoyed this guild and the nice ladies I've met there.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:51 AM

I am a member of the local guild, last count we had 250 members. Our dues are $35/year. That $ goes towards rental of the church, paying for speakers, books for the library, sewing days for anyone to go to, insurance, post office box, and other things that are used by all the members of the guild. We actually had over 300 at one point so it's now 2 meetings for the 1 guild. We also have a 50/50 draw at the meetings, all the proceeds go to Charity quilts that we make for the community. We also have a dinner at the end of the year where we pay $5 and the guild pays the rest.

I'm actually the VP next year so it should be an interesting time. Our guild asks for volunteers or all the different groups (program, library, show & tell, and Executive) if more then one person volunteers for an Exec position then it goes to a vote but in 5 years it hasn't happened yet. We go through the bylaws every year, present them to the guild and ask for any changes that they want then we take it to an open discussion and have everyone vote a month later so all views can be heard.

Program has to be the hardest because you are choosing who is the speaker every month but I think we do a good job of getting a good mix of things in there. But it's a great way to meet other quilters and learn new techniques!
Old 06-04-2010, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Ripped on Scotch
I am a member of the local guild, last count we had 250 members. Our dues are $35/year. That $ goes towards rental of the church, paying for speakers, books for the library, sewing days for anyone to go to, insurance, post office box, and other things that are used by all the members of the guild. We actually had over 300 at one point so it's now 2 meetings for the 1 guild. We also have a 50/50 draw at the meetings, all the proceeds go to Charity quilts that we make for the community. We also have a dinner at the end of the year where we pay $5 and the guild pays the rest.

I'm actually the VP next year so it should be an interesting time. Our guild asks for volunteers or all the different groups (program, library, show & tell, and Executive) if more then one person volunteers for an Exec position then it goes to a vote but in 5 years it hasn't happened yet. We go through the bylaws every year, present them to the guild and ask for any changes that they want then we take it to an open discussion and have everyone vote a month later so all views can be heard.

Program has to be the hardest because you are choosing who is the speaker every month but I think we do a good job of getting a good mix of things in there. But it's a great way to meet other quilters and learn new techniques!
I love the idea of Program! Right now that job belongs to the guild presidents in my area. You are right, I remember that being the hardest part of my job. Other than that it sounds like our guilds are remarkably alike, except we pay for our building rental fee through the raffle ticket sales. Various shops and members donate plenty of gifts to raffle off and it almost always covers the rental fee. And every other year we raffle off a quilt, part of which goes to charity and part of which goes to fund our educational program, which is how we can afford to get such amazing national teachers in and only charge members $35 a class. 8-)
Old 06-04-2010, 06:34 AM

Wow. They should be inviting you to join with your talent it would be so beneficial to have your expertise. Unbelievable!
Old 06-04-2010, 06:41 AM

I belong to two groups - one a guild, the other a small group.

The guild has dues of $25 a year. That covers speakers - usually have someone well-known 3 - 4 times a year - a monthly newsletter, directory, rent for meeting room, library books, books for donation to public libraries, fabric for charity quilts, workshops (2 or 3 per year), fabrics for a raffle quilt, an annual show (room rent, etc.), publicity, and courtesy - cards to sick members, etc., and donations to the International Quilt Study Center, Lincoln, NE. All our decisions are made by the board unless it is controversial. Our meetings are split - we start with refreshments (brought by members), program, sew and tell, then business. (Monthly meetings)

The small group meets for devotions, sharing of patterns and teaching skills. We meet monthly at a member's home, no dues, all teaching is done by members of the group. I guess this is more of a 'bee' than a guild. But I have learned a great deal from these ladies.

So far neither group has had any men interested in joining. But I recall nothing in the guild by-laws that would preclude men from joining. Sorry, Eddie, for the discrimination you have faced.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:28 AM

Our guild has about 40 members. We meet in the "community room" at our local school. We give them a donation, usually $100. Our dues are $10 per year. We use the money for quilts of valor and "comfort quilts" (given to women in the county who have cancer). We also have an annual quilt show (not judged) just a show. At our meetings we typically have a quilting related demonstration, show and tell and of course dessert. It is really a fun group.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:06 AM

Funny Eddie but please stop banging your head against the wall. It feels so good when you stop.
So far I have past that reply (Your head banging) 3 times and it does make me laugh.
I thought belonging to a guild would be different than it is. I like the speakers. Our dues are $25 per anum. The group does a lot of good works. A lot less join-ups in 09/10 than ever before. ? the economy.
I am glad to have anyone be in charge but not me. I can barely be in charge of myself.
The best parts are: making quilty friends, speakers, show and tell, and the library.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:37 AM

It costs $30 per year to join my guild and membership starts in June. If you joine in the middle of the year, dues are pro-rated. Also, no charge if you're just visiting.

My guild has a board that makes all the decisions--my only complaint is that the board tends to be clique-ish. That bugs me. I've adjusted my expectations and continue for the things I like about it: the speakers, the BOM, the charity quilting, and the challenge quilt we're doing this year. I've only been a member for about six months.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:37 AM
Banned

What was the rationale for excluding men? How long ago were these by-laws written. Sounds like they need to be challenged. Know anyone in the guild that would stir up the pot and challege this. I think attitudes are so different now and probably a majority of the people will not oppose changing the by-laws. I wonder how many people even know about this discriminatory by-law. I certainly would take up this issue if I was in that guild.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Susan P
What was the rationale for excluding men? How long ago were these by-laws written. Sounds like they need to be challenged. Know anyone in the guild that would stir up the pot and challege this. I think attitudes are so different now and probably a majority of the people will not oppose changing the by-laws. I wonder how many people even know about this discriminatory by-law. I certainly would take up this issue if I was in that guild.
great idea!,makes waves Eddie, challenge the by-laws and say they need to be updated and include men'Get their mailing address and we can all write letters