Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting guilds >

quilting guilds

quilting guilds

Old 12-10-2010, 09:30 AM

That's too bad. Surely all ages should be welcome & all ages learning from each other.When a group divides, it's usually not long till the next division comes along to get rid of the 1st group.A shame we can't all get along & look out for each other....especially quilters.JMO

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I am president of my guild and have been the last three years. This year I told them I would not run for President. I made quiet a lot of changes in the guild that did away with the stuffiness of the meetings. My main concern was keeping the new members interested and the older members happy. The elderly members do not like change and most are founding members too. The older members are the ones that cause more problems for our guild. I started a mini group at the guild for members interested in more modern fast quilts. Now the mini group has more members attending then the regular guild. The older members sees the mini group as a take over and it won't be long we will have enough votes to change the by laws out voting them. I know then the older members will stop coming. But the guild needs the new members. It hasn't been a dull three years.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:21 PM

The American Sewing Guild is not just quilting. We do all kinds of sewing. We do not have meetings as such. There are two big get togethers twice a year, one to elect officers and the other for fun. We have a luncheon both times and always a top name program. Our local 165 members plus break into small neighborhood groups depending on where we live and meet once or twice a month for two hours. We have about 10 to 15 in each NG.
We can go to any NG meeting we want besides our own. It gives us lots of new ideas.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by patdesign
WOW I read these responses with mixed emotions, since my hubby has been egging me on to join one. Now I know why Iam resisting, I used to belong to groups (not quilting) years ago, but got tired of all the cliquing, and politiking, etc. Looks like some things remain the same no matter where you are, and I guess I just don't have the energy for one more thing. I still belong to interior design group ASID and sit on a board for our city, guess thats enough for now.:)
I am surprised that this thread scared you away from quilt guilds since more of the responses were positive. All of life is like a guild, some good things, some bad things. I belong to two quilt guilds and a weavers guild and was welcomed from the start.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:17 PM
Power Poster

I started my own bee. What I was looking for was more a sit and sew and really getting to know people. We also do some social things together like going to a quilt show and share a hotel room. We also set up our own little over night retreats at one of the homes or condo. We have done some small projects together like trying paper piecing and a block swap. The guilds seem pretty big in this area and meet at times that do not work for me.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:48 PM

I belong to a weekly sewing night as well as my guild. A friend of mine cannot go out much; her husband has dementia and is afraid to be alone, so she started inviting a few over once a week for company. It's my "heart to heart" group. Makes me happy just being there. We laugh a lot and really support each other. Even though a guild is great and I love mine, my "heart to heart" group is a God send.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:14 AM

About 20 years ago I was invited to be a charter member of a new guild. It was wonderful for a few years, then it evolved into a night of Robert's Rules of Order. It seems that most of the members were retired and did the fun stuff during the day while we working gals were at work. My really good friend and I formed our own group, and had the best time after that. Now because of a 12 hour rotating schedule, guilds are too difficult to remember to attend. This is now my "guild".
Old 12-11-2010, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by judi wess
About 20 years ago I was invited to be a charter member of a new guild. It was wonderful for a few years, then it evolved into a night of Robert's Rules of Order. It seems that most of the members were retired and did the fun stuff during the day while we working gals were at work. My really good friend and I formed our own group, and had the best time after that. Now because of a 12 hour rotating schedule, guilds are too difficult to remember to attend. This is now my "guild".
I could live the rest of my life, never hearing the phrase "Roberts Rules of Order", and die a happy woman. That phrase has become my exit line. I want to share quilting and friendship, not learn to live with new rules. The world has enough rules for me to follow, without those words. I LOVE this board, and thank God for leading me here. YOU are all part of my 'quilting bee'. Thank you.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:04 AM

Hi, I am the vice president of our local guild. We have about 40 members and it is a very social group. Being vice president means I am in charge of planning the workshops and programs at the general meeting. We have a blast! We are very supportive not only of our craft, but as a person. If we have a member stuggling with personal issues, we are there for them in whatever way we can. We also do a lot of charity work for our community. This month we are collecting diapers, food, and blankets for various needy organizations. I love it. Once a month is all we meet, but a lot of us have made very good friends there and socialize outside of the guild. Sorry for being so wordy. Blessings~
Old 12-12-2010, 03:53 PM

I went to a guild meeting once and nobody was very friendly. I like to quilt in small "friendly" groups.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:16 PM

I neglected to mention more things to be happy about our guild. We have quite a philanthropic endeavor. Beside all the Comfort Quilts we make for the Doves (retreat for abused women and children) We also donate grocery store gift certificates for those in need to the paster of the church where we meet, also donate to our local Historical Society, to our local Zoo which cares for animals who no longer can live in the wild, to our Middle School for programs about changing how our kids look at life and also to the Moms & Dads project, helping with their programs to teach new parents.
Our annual quilt show and our Opportunity Quilt provides the wherewith all for these donations...........and besides that, we have so much fun!!!!