Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting help >

Quilting help

Quilting help

Old 09-10-2011, 06:24 PM

Thank you all for your help!

I have the quilt on the handi-quilter, only took me an hour. Not bad I think. Had a little help from DS.

This is my third quilt on this, but it's been 3 or 4 years since I did the last one.

I have green thread that matches the back perfectly, and I have a verigated green thread to put on top. I can use this verigated green even on the blue? Thought about monofiliment thread but I only have half a spool, and closest fabric store is over an hour away.

I'm so nervous because this is a Christmas present for my DD, who has no clue that I'm doing this, however she helped pick out the fabric. (I'm tricky that way)
Old 09-10-2011, 08:05 PM
Power Poster

Cute
Old 09-10-2011, 08:25 PM

I love the frog and the border. I think green would look very nice.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:11 PM

Very cute quilt! I agree to use a green that blends into the backing for the back would be great, it would also be nice on the front too. Have fun quilting :)
Old 09-11-2011, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by scjoan
Thank you all for your help!

I have the quilt on the handi-quilter, only took me an hour. Not bad I think. Had a little help from DS.

This is my third quilt on this, but it's been 3 or 4 years since I did the last one.

I have green thread that matches the back perfectly, and I have a verigated green thread to put on top. I can use this verigated green even on the blue? Thought about monofiliment thread but I only have half a spool, and closest fabric store is over an hour away.

I'm so nervous because this is a Christmas present for my DD, who has no clue that I'm doing this, however she helped pick out the fabric. (I'm tricky that way)
I was going to suggest not basting before putting it on the frame, but I guess I'm too late. To me, that's the biggest bonus of a LA is that you don't have to baste it first. Way to go on getting started on Christmas gifts! Good luck!
Old 09-11-2011, 07:45 AM

I think the green on the back and varigated on top would look really nice.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:04 AM

Love the quilt--frogs are one of my favorites.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:12 AM

I just have a question: Why do you pin baste before putting a quilt on your frame? I have a longarm and would never put a quilt with pins in it on my frame and quilt it without removing the pins - hit one and you can wreck havoc on your machine. Perhaps it is because your frame is different than mine, but I would really like to understand the extra (and painful!) step of pin basting before putting on a frame for machine quilting!!!
Old 09-11-2011, 10:51 AM
Power Poster

Personally, I love using variegated thread for quilting, seems to sparkle on the quilt, but I would use green on the back to match the backing fabric. They have some wonderful variegated threads out there in all colorways, and they are fun to quilt with.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:15 PM

Green would be fine.