Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is quilting a hobby or an art? >

Is quilting a hobby or an art?

Is quilting a hobby or an art?

Old 06-05-2012, 04:11 AM

It can be both and so much more. Let your friend know that people make lots of money from their old hobby. Last year I went to a show and this lady (can't rembember her name now even though I have her book) sold a quilt, a small quilt for 10,000. She does thread play on fabric and it is beautiful. I say go for what you want and if more people do what you want and then they can teach the younger generation so that we don't have a few decades where hardly anyone quilts like what has happened in the past. Go For It Girl. Good luck
Old 06-05-2012, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
Copying anything can become a craft. Creating anything original can be an art. Whether or not an original work is considered truly artistic is usually decided by a qualified judge. However, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We all love to make quilts, some of aspire to be fabric artists. Some of us actually become fabric artists and our quilts hang in museums; but we all create. But if we were to say all quilters were artists it would be like saying all seamstresses were fashion designers.
I like what you wrote!
I always look at cross stitchers (who make out of complicated kits, complete with instructions, material and all), and admire their craftsmanship. But I wouldn't call them artists. You know what I mean?
But nevertheless, they enjoy it and the end product is nice. So, to each his own, do what you enjoy and disregard what other say.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:47 AM

I think it could be both. Don't let that person discourage you. Some people see certain activities as a waste of time because it's not their cup of tea. Good for you for following your own path.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:14 AM

It can be whatever you want it to be, a personal choice. Since you were talking to a non-quilter, you might consider his lack of knowledge and treat his remark accordingly. Please post any projects you create while in school. And good luck with your education.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:29 AM

We are all Quilt Artists, so quilting is an art; most of us have been lucky enough to have been bitten by the hobby bug while practicing our art - so it is both.
And what's bad about wanting to stretch your mind? I think when you stop learning you start to get really OLD (and not in a good way!) - I have a dear friend who still, at 97, reads the NY Times every day - his body might be getting frail, but he's definitely NOT OLD!
Old 06-05-2012, 08:23 AM

Quilting is one of the creative outlets I use to de-stress from working in an office five days a week. Don't I combine color, pattern, and texture into a pleasing whole? Don't we all? Even though a quilt also has a use to offer comfort and warmth, do I still consider it an art form? Yes. But is it a classic art dicipline that has centuries of old masters that were men? Therein lays the difference, quilting evolved from women making something utilitarian from leftovers or worn out clothing or blankets and has never had the respect of a classic art form such as painting or sculpture that has no other use but ornamental.

My Mother paints oil paintings. Is it less art because she does it part time for her own enjoyment? She is an artist and so am I. And I look at some of the paintings that pass for art these days and consider myself quite talented!
Old 06-05-2012, 08:48 AM

Quilting is an art, a craft, a hobby, a vocation, a vacation, a therapy, a creative outlet, a labor of love, a passion, a job (heaven forbid!), whatever YOU want it to be...

All that being said, I personally have seen quilts that I thought "what were they thinking" when they put together the quilt and others that are truly works of art, way beyond "just sewing something together". Perhaps someday something I've done will have that affect on a beholder...or maybe not...but in the meantime, I strive for pleasing combinations of color and fabric pattern to create something I like, whether anyone else does or not.

If an art degree will help you feel more confident in your ability to create art in your quilting - go for it! I know my college classes in design (home ec major with classes in fashion design and interior decorating) were beneficial even though they were many years ago and not specific to quilting. The principles of design, color, proportion are universal to any art form.

And most important - HAVE FUN!
Old 06-05-2012, 10:30 AM
Power Poster

The simple answer = YES. It depends on the level of creativity and personal expression where craft ends and art begins.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:15 AM

This is an interesting thread! I've always considered myself a hobbyist when it comes to quilting......those that are actually creating the pattern are the artists. After reading through this thread I have changed my thinking: even though I didn't create the pattern I still choose the fabrics and colors so maybe I am sort of an artist
Old 06-05-2012, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
it is both and neither require a degree...save your hard earned money to travel to the shows, museums and galleries before they are all closed due to lack of funding....
I'm sure you're right, Jaciqltznok, but I perhaps was not as clear as I could have been. I meant that I wanted to go back to school to help with the quilting. I also have a genuine interest in fabric design and the creation of art using fabric. I'm not sure that shows, etc, could do that for me. Formal education in colour theories, etc. can be applied in quilting and in so much more. (Besides, I get free tuition!)