Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilting...A Hazardous Hobby?

Time as we know it does not exist to quilters. Have you ever noticed that when you're working on a special "project" that the dishes seem to multipy by themselves, the vacumn cleaner gets all kinds of dust on it, that pile of laundry that you thought you did reappears! How many times have you said to the family "we'll just have soup and sandwiches for dinner"
    And my favorite is when you look at the clock and think "gee, i forgot i need sleep". How about the times when you buy that special fabric that you just have to have for that special quilt you have yet to design and say " oh well, i'll buy groceries next week". We still have soup left! And oh yes...you look in the mirror when your jeans are a little too tight and think..wow that dryer shrunk them again! It can't be that chair i've been sitting in for hours on end! So what do you think...hazardous or just plain addicting??? LOL

I am thinking it is the best addiction I have, that can produce very nice results. I have hurt myself a few times, but as of yet, not seriously.

Banned
    I agree - VERY addictive; therapeutic; medicinal; lifesaving; mind stimulating ..... and more.

And there are 'some' people that just say it's just a stupid hobby!! :evil:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady-T
    I agree - VERY addictive; therapeutic; medicinal; lifesaving; mind stimulating ..... and more.
    For sure!

It's a great hobby!

I have lost a little weight already because I forget to have dinner!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady-T

And there are 'some' people that just say it's just a stupid hobby!! :evil:
    I love all your words of description, as you stole them right from my mouth! I find quilting to be the most relaxing and stimulating hobby I have, and I have alot of hobbies!

My hubby says I'm addicted to quilting. I say there are worse things to be addicted to! At least I'm in control of my faculties! lol

DH laughs at me when I stick/cut myself and I'm more worried about getting blood on the fabric then I'm about getting hurt!

Blog Entries
    Yes, it is addictive. Luckily I live alone except for my 2 wonderful dogs. They remind me when I have been in the basement too long, when it is mealtime, and when it is pottytime. Otherwise I probably wouldn't eat or do any of the other necessary things. Of course I don't get as much accomplished as I would like, for the interrruptions. When I go back down to sew I have to think what I was doing when I stopped. And I usually end up going to something else. Too many things going at once.

Totally addictive, just like this board, and fabric shopping!

Quilting is a new hobby for me, and yes, it is indeed very addicting. I still manage to make time for my other hobbies (mainly being outdoors hiking or biking or being around horses), but I do find myself always thinking about new projects, color schemes, patterns in nature, buildings, tiles or whatever. For me, quilting has been a very rewarding hobby, because it produces an end product that one an touch, feel, love and wrap around.
    My husband is very supportive of everything I do, we have some of the same hobbies, but quilting to me is like golfing for him, he understands the obsession and supports it :lol: He helps with house chores, cooking and whatever needs to be done when he sees me at it. :thumbup:

absolutely addicting.picking fabric,ironing,cutting and sewing it back together.what is more important-your quilt or housework-well that is a no brainer-and I have lots of homemade soup in the freezer for those days

what other hobby(besides knitting or crochetting)can you sleep under what you've made? We don't have any store bought blankets in our house; only the quilts I've made
    over the last 22 years. I make lots of kids charity quilts so I still get to make lots of quilts and not worry about where am I gonna put another quilt.

Blog Entries
    I am not a devoted quilter, but I am not a quitter! (Just noticed the one letter difference) I have OCD and I cannot do anything extracurricular unless everything is in order. But,when all is done and it is time to quilt, I am at peace and very content - my hubby sits right next to me if I am hand-quilting, and/or deals with the portable sewing table and ironing board in the family room and the sewing machine in the breakfast nook. Yes, before I sleep, I have to put it away - I wish I had the talent to leave it for the next day, but then I can't sleep. No, I am not a quitter.....

My DH laughs at me because I see patterns in everything I look at! Also, when I see colors anywhere I automatically think "wouldn't those colors be gorgeous in a quilt"!!

While I haven't yet neglected making dinner, I have intended to spend a day cleaning, but ended up spending the whole day sewing instead. It is so addictive!

Hazardous!

Yep! Addicting--but I have some nice things to show for it!! And it is such good therapy! :)

I think quilting is much like any other addiction..a progressive illness. :-) I got the bug a year ago and I already have enough kits and patterns to keep me going for twenty years. So do I stay out of quilt shops...not on your life....I find a 'bar' in every town I visit!