Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting ideas needed >

Quilting ideas needed

Quilting ideas needed

Old 02-11-2017, 01:05 PM

Default Quilting ideas needed

I just finished piecing this queen and am hoping for ideas on how to quilt. I've looked online for some examples of quilting done on very plain squares and haven't run across any so far.

Since it's pretty plain, I'd like the quilting to enhance it, especially on the white blocks, but would not be unhappy if the same design was used on the print ones. (or two different ones, for that matter).

Also, what about the borders?

All input is appreciated.

BTW, the blocks are 5" squares.

THanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails img_4043.jpg   img_4044.jpg   img_4045.jpg   img_4046.jpg  
Old 02-11-2017, 01:07 PM

Sorry, I have no idea why it turned these side-ways. Also, in the 3rd photo, I had just pulled up the edge so you could tsee the borders. So please disregard That green showing is the bedspread showing from underneath.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:12 PM

I am not knowledgeable enough to help you - just want to say that the quilt is beautiful and the border is really snazzy!
Old 02-11-2017, 01:25 PM
Power Poster

I would stitch in the ditch around each block then do either a flower or feather wreath in the white blocks.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:53 PM
Power Poster

I have read a few books on quilting. One talked about the use of the quilt after it was finished and how there were three kinds of quilts. A utilitarian everyday one, a "nice" quilt for gifting and a show quilt you plan on entering into a fair or quilt show. This kind of thinking really open my eyes to how I viewed what I would put into the quilting.

Now, if you are going to wash it often because you are using it on your bed, (or an everyday baby quilt) an all over close quilting design would be good, because of the mid to heavy all over quilting. They get a lot of wear and tear. The second gifting quilt could be quilted a little more fancy because it could be a prized heirloom to that person. Or who knows it could be a very special occasion, Who knows? Then you would make sure to put appropreate design onto it.
The last type quilt would be something that would be judged in a show and thus would have to be some pretty fancy quilting indeed.

There are many ways to quilt also. Using your domestic machine, a short or long arm. Which you could rent for the day after taking their classes. Or even hand quilting or using a built in design on your machine.

Every one of these ways of quilting gets the job done. But, first you must ask yourself the "USE" of the quilt and react accordingly. I hope this helps you. It sure did me!
Old 02-11-2017, 02:04 PM

It's a pretty quilt. The quilting won't show well in the print squares so I would just make and X across them and then a flower in the white squares.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:41 PM
Power Poster

Wow RedGarnett what a great comment! It is so true too! We do need to know how the OP quilts too, as she did not say. by hand, domestic machine or longarm. There are so many possibilities! I actually think this quilt would be really cute done in big stitch hand quilting with a very heavy perle cotton like an 8 wt. Done in different bright colors to match all the calico prints. I would do a simple 1/2" or 1" echo on the inside of every square. In the white squares I would do the colored thread sprinkling the bright colors about. On the prints I would use white perle to contrast so it would show.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:51 PM

Feline hits the nail on the head with how the OP will quilt it--ditto the intended use. Assuming it's a "nice" gift and machine quilting, I'd do continuous curves around/thru the colored blocks and then do some more involved quilting in the white blocks--I'm big on Celtic knot designs or a feathered wreath?

And maybe just 1/4" inside the piecing on the borders.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:19 PM

The white squares definitely need something to fill the negative space. Hearts or flowers would be nice. the colored squares you could echo around making a couple of repeats (so kind of like a maize) The smaller blocks in the borders you could stitch in the ditch and then extend the lines out to border edges in grid like fashion. Good luck with it. It is lovely quilt.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:54 PM

I don't FMQ so I have to use my walking foot. I would use a circle to make arcs from each corner on every side of the square. You would end up with a design like this in every block. http://blog.havelssewing.com/how-to-make-a-quilt-block/