Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting and jury duty >

quilting and jury duty

quilting and jury duty

Old 05-18-2010, 07:28 AM

My dh just informed me that the last time he went to the court house he had to take his belt off and take it to the car---they wouldn't even let him wear a belt into our courthouse!!!! Now that's bad! He has a hard enough time getting in anyway. He has a prosthetic lower limb, a metal rod in his thigh, and a metal ladder in his back all of which set off the alarms.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:33 AM

If your child is still breast feeding, I think that should be enough to get you excused. Call them ahead of time and see if they can get you excused over the phone. I nursed my three kids a long time, too.

Regarding projects, I sew on airplanes. I take nail clippers to cut threads and have never been questioned.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:34 AM

I doubt if they'll let you do any kind of handwork if you serve on a jury since you're supposed to be paying attention to the trial. Even if you normally watch tv and do handwork at home it looks like you're not paying attention.

Don't forget, innocent people actually do get arrested and charged with crimes they didn't do. Look at how many people have been set free on DNA evidence!
Old 05-18-2010, 07:46 AM

I don't mind jury duty at all. I know that's not the popular thing to say but it's really not that bad. Inconvenient? Yes, at times but it's necessary.
Actually the only times I've been called were when I was working, now that I'm retired I might not enjoy it as much since it would be cutting into MY time.....
Old 05-18-2010, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I doubt if they'll let you do any kind of handwork if you serve on a jury since you're supposed to be paying attention to the trial. Even if you normally watch tv and do handwork at home it looks like you're not paying attention.

Don't forget, innocent people actually do get arrested and charged with crimes they didn't do. Look at how many people have been set free on DNA evidence!
actually doing any handowrk is reserved for having to sit in the jury room all day waiting to be called,not during a trial,here they call several hundred people for jury duty a week and on your day you see in the waiting area til they call your group,then if you are not chosen you have to go back to the waiting area to see if they might call you for another trial,either way you sit all day waiting and have nothing to do,
Old 05-18-2010, 07:58 AM

No, sorry, no needles, no scissors.... seems like the perfect place to get some hand work done too...
Old 05-18-2010, 08:22 AM

Last October my husband and I flew to IN. I was using a carryon that I'd used for a sewing project and had just stuffed back into my closet when finished. Lo, and behold - I had left a pair of six inch scissors in it. Imagine my mortifciation when the checker pulled them out - she let me keep them!!! Said there was a new policy - as long as the scissors were less than six inches (blade) they were allowed!! I was so shocked. I assured them I was ok with their taking them - (not my best ones!!) She let me keep them and take them on the plane - had i known I'd have taken something to sew !!
Old 05-18-2010, 08:31 AM

Once in awhile, old age problems actually come in handy. I need to take a diuetic most everyday, and well, sometimes I have to go every ten minutes, plus I have hip problems that make sitting for a long time difficult. My doctor wrote an excuse for me, and I was relieved of jury duty.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:27 AM
Power Poster

Each court house has it own rules and policies , so all I can say is call them.

As for flying , it changes fequently due to new things always happening . Stupid criminals :hunf: Anyways when I flew to Florida the beginning of the year I got to take hand sewing with me . The scissors are smaller and have to have a blunt tip. As for sewing on a binding, the quilt would have to be small enough to carry in your carry on and stay in "your" seat area. Other than that I don't see a problem.

On a side note, my Dad is already in the jury pool for one judge and is only half way thru the time frame and yesterday got another notice from another judge that he will be in that jury pool :shock: So they will be overlapping
Old 05-18-2010, 09:37 AM

Recently, my BIL was taking a quick trip to Florida and the airport tried to confiscate his nail clippers. Luckily, we hadn't left yet and were able to go get them from him. Just like courthouses, airports are different. It's up to the individual TSA agent what is allowed or not. Had he gone in at a different security site, he might not have had any trouble. ASK BEFORE YOU GO!