Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Kudos >

Quilting Kudos

Quilting Kudos

Old 04-04-2010, 10:56 AM

After reading all of the previous answers, there's just no way my experiences can compare...thank you all for sharing.

I do enjoy overhearing people voting for my quilts at shows (although I've never won any ribbons);
and I've had some people say things like "just let me know if you get tired of it."

Another nice compliment was when the church thought one of my quilts for donation was just too nice not to put in the "for sale" rack. It sold right away, and, of course, the money went to charity, so that was fine with me.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by grammypatty7
Originally Posted by TanyaMas
my best compliment was overheard at walmart and said by a stranger about 6 years ago. :D
i had been making simple baby quilts with 4" squares and donating them to the crisis pregnancy center for about a year.
I was having a very bad day and made a trip to walmart to buy fabric (always makes me feel better lol). I was walking past the baby section on the way to the fabric dept. and saw 1 of my quilts being held very tightly by a baby that looked around 9-10 months old, and overheard the mother telling another how the only way she could wash the quilt was to sneak it away while the baby was napping and how loved my quilt was. By the time i got to the fabric dept., i was in tears and the badness of the day was forgotten.
What a beautiful story. Not wanting my grandchildren to get too attached to their Grammy baby quilts, I made a few for each child and asked the Mom's to rotate the quilts so they wouldn't end up dragging the quilts everywhere with them. With my son's children, it worked but with my daughter's children we have a 17 year old who mends her baby quilt and takes it with her in her back pack everywhere. All 4 or our my daughter's children are very attached to their quilts that they came home from the hospital wrapped in but she has been the toughest. When she was around 10 I decided to make her a pillow with scraps leftover from her baby quilt that she came home from the hospital wrapped in and she takes it with her for sleepovers. Two years ago I completed a pretty twin patchwork quilt using her beloved yellow fabric and it will be going to college with her in the fall but bet anything that baby blanket will be packed in there too. She has been mending it to keep it going. When she was 3 it needed mending for the first time and I foolishly mended it and she carefully watched so she could learn how. Her last visit to see us in FL, she did NOT have it with her - progress at long last but the pillow and the new quilt have helped wean her away plus she she loves to use my hexagonal quilt that moved with me. What a wonderful story you shared and yes, it should have helped make your day a whole lot better. That baby wouldn't have had that quilt without you!
I forgot to put in this that my daughter's 4 children would roll over to the basket where their quilts were kept and root throught them until they found the one they came home from the hospital wrapped up in. Even thought I made all of their quilts, that one was their favorite.