Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Kudos >

Quilting Kudos

Quilting Kudos

Old 03-30-2010, 03:48 AM
tmg

I made a quilt for my sons' great grand- mother. When his grand mother (which is my ex-mother-in-law, we have always been on good terms) got him for the weekend she fell in love with it. She kept saying she was going to get her mother something else and keep the quilt. His GGM got it and she called me to thank me for it.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:01 AM

I did whole cloth quilt entered into our show and judge said was not acceptable..but machine quilters in quild said I was robbed, should of won and was better than they could machine quilt....that was better than a ribbon.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:18 AM

Your comment about your quilt when selling your home reminded me of my Realtor days, prior to retiring. I had a home for sale and the lady had some of the most exquisite art quilts in almost every room. You just couldn't take your eyes off of them. I had to finally ask her to take most of them down as customers did more looking at her art quilts than at her home, and it was very nice. The art quilts came down, the home sold and the art quilts went back up in the new place I sold her. I certainly envied her talent.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:07 AM

I gave my son one of the first quilts I had made as his room mate had a few that his grandmother had made and he loved them.

My son, not having the best of health, used his a lot. Dragged it around with him when he wasn't well, washed it frequently and, a couple of years ago when I saw it, it was really threadbare and had some patches just worn right off - batting showing through. I told him I would make another one for him and asked what he would like. He said something with stars.

I finally settled on a Mariners' Compass and sent it to him.
He was astounded with it. I told him to toss the old one as it is a rag. He said "never". We visited him last fall to find the new one hanging on the livingroom wall and the old one still on his bed. He says everyone who visits loves the Mariners' Compass as he does but he still loves the old one which has seen him when he was the very sickest he has ever been.
Mary Alice in B.C.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:12 AM

I got a new embroidery set and started doing test sews on them(I was a newbie). My husband saw them and asked me to make a quilt. I had never made any thing but a baby quilt. I fell so in love with the designs( My Secret Garden by Petra) that I bought the other two sets. I had no idea how much material I needed and don't even think the strips around the design was all cotton. I would sew some together and go put it on the bed and make another couple of rows. I was very proud of my quilt. When my aunt was quilting it on her long arm she would say" I like this block the most" then get futher down would say the same thing. When she finished she said it was the prettiest quilt she had ever seen. I try to believe there was no bias there. She did go and buy the designs so guess there was some truth in it. I had her just do squares so as not to take away from the block.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-36578.jpe  
Old 03-30-2010, 10:03 AM

That is GORGEOUS!!! I love it :D
Old 03-30-2010, 10:33 AM

Now that is beatiful I love hereing things as such
Old 03-30-2010, 12:23 PM
Dix

A dear friend and hubby had been stationed in Germany in the 50's. She was not a quilter, but started a patch work to pass the time. Then had 5 children and quilt got stashed but now 50 years later in a retirement village, she is losing her eye sight. Her hubby asked me if I would bring to home with me and have some one finish it while she could still enjoy it. All it needed was a border and triming up and quilted. So, I did it! Made pillow cases with the border fabric I found and my quilter quickly put it on her machine and we finished it before Christmas last year. She did not know it was even out of the house, as our sweet hubbys sneaked it out at Thanksgiving. So, on Christmas eve, with all the family she opened this quilt. I was so happy to do this for them. She still has some sight and it is on the bed every day.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:53 PM

The best complement I got was for a quilt I made for my Aunt using her husbands flanel shirts. He passed a way so suddenly she wasn't able to hug him one last time. She said that when she wraps up in the quilt it's like wrapping up with him. I made 7 quilts for the family using his shirts. KatFish
Old 03-30-2010, 12:57 PM
Power Poster

I love it when I see one of my quilts in use and well loved. Some are faded from use and washing but they are part of the inventory. THAT's the best compliment for me.