Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilting Labels on Quilts you Gift.....

I have labeled some and some I have not. Something to think about.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    All these great ideas. Thanks. All kinds of labels to amke and sew. I like simple. I have already started making some to sew on when I visit family. I started a little sewing bag to take with me. ♥♥

Blog Entries
    I have been making quilts gor nearly 30 years, and never labeled any of them. To be honest, I never even gave it a thought until I started reading this board. Then I got to thinking about how nice it would be for one of my grandkids ( or anyone else who has received one of my quilts) to look back and say "this was made in... by my Nana" Who knows, maybe their grandkinds would end up with the quilt, but they wouldn't have any idea about its' history, the pattern name, or who made it. Now, all of my quilts have at least a basic label. For posterity, you know. :)

I find a small clear area. Very small. ;-)
    Write my name and date. If I do it at all.
    Guess I don't really care about posterity.
    I do enclose a note to the recipient.

I donated my grandmother's quilts to a museum because i'm the only person left alive who knew her or knew anything about them. None were labled. It gave me a chance to document their origin and significance for generations to come.

Absolutely. I sew my label to the backing 'before' quilting. That way if it gets lost the label can't be removed without a lot of work. I make my own labels.

Quote Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    Is it important to label our gift quilts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have never put labels on any of my quilts I gave to family or friends. I think I will make them up and sew them on as I visit them.... Never thought about it's meaning until reading on the board. Does everyone do this?
    My sis has n embroider machine she has sitting and not using. Well, I have a good use for it. She is going to teach me how to use it. It has a whole wall of thread and everything needed. Something new to learn.

For every quilt I make I take a picture during construction, and another when finished. I also create a folder on my computer and create a name. Then I document what fabric make up, and what was happening in my life (only a line or two). Date it was done and to whom given.

Blog Entries
    I sign all of mine. I have a quilt from my maternal grandmother that I'd give anything to know when she made it. All I know is it was made before 1954 which is when she died. I have one quilt from my husband's side of the family and I have no idea who made it. BooHoo. It makes me so sad to not know. Just my name, date & town is all I sign.

I have used Pigma pen to write my labels but find they fade with washing. Does anyone have any good suggestions on what to use that doesn't fade?
    Rita B

Quote Originally Posted by hheelleenn
    I have never put labels on any of my quilts I gave to family or friends. I think I will make them up and sew them on as I visit them.... Never thought about it's meaning until reading on the board. Does everyone do this?
    My sis has n embroider machine she has sitting and not using. Well, I have a good use for it. She is going to teach me how to use it. It has a whole wall of thread and everything needed. Something new to learn.

For every quilt I make I take a picture during construction, and another when finished. I also create a folder on my computer and create a name. Then I document what fabric make up, and what was happening in my life (only a line or two). Date it was done and to whom given. As well as adding a handwritten (permanent ink) label with the date and made byfor.

I have always taken photos of all my quilts and since I made each one for specific people, mylabels indicated who made it, who got it and the occassion and date. I also numbered them. I have a book where I put in info as to pattern, batting used and anything else pertaining to the quilt. I also attach photo to each entry. As my quilts are hand quilted, I take the extra time to record them properly.

Yes, I always label my quilts. Even if I just write on them. I say something like "Dana's Quilt" by (my name)and the year. I would love to have an embroider machine that would do that for me.

Our entire quilt guild would say YES, YES, YES - ALWAYS put labels on quilts. Having inherited over a dozen quilts from great-aunts and great-grandmothers and younger, I sure wish some part of the heritage was logged on the back.

Our guild had a program on labeling quilts and it recommended stating TO [recipient] FROM [maker] ON THE OCCASION OF (if applicable), then record the date and the city you live in. We rarely think of who will get a quilt we give other than the (first) recipient - every quilt historian, quilt documenter, and quilt appraiser will tell you without hesitation to put a label on every quilt you make.

The program offered a truck show of labels made on cotton doilies, handkerchiefs, orphan blocks, a mitten (!) and other creative "backgrounds" as well as creatively hand- and machine-embroidered bordered and embellished labels. It was an eye-opener in terms of recording for history in creative ways.

Hope this helps!

I didn't but I do now. Especially since I am gifting them to specific people. I would love to print mine but my HP keeps jamming so I have been hand writing them Not a good thing my handwriting is awful. But until I get a new printer its the best I have.
    I do have to remember to put them on Before I put the back on. But the last one I did I also wrote on the back of the quilt very small the year and recipient in case the label ever comes off.

I always put on labels. I want people to know years from now who did it. I've heard enough from vintage people -sign sign sign,- so here are some of my labels. I only found the two, but there are more hidden in my piles of photos - lol. I'be decided they are in my husbands camera. The last one I did was a housewarming quilt label.
    Judi
    I usually tell the name of the quilt, who it is for, why, name & date. Sometimes the designer or person who quilted it.
    Judi

Attached Images Attached Images

Oh most definately!! I have several quilts from gg grandmothers but don't know what year and if was g or gg, so I always sign my name and date it, often who its for and the occasion.

You might try this idea. Use cardstock, spray with temporary quilt adhesive, place your fabric about 1/8" down from the top ... feed into the printer by hand.

[quote=damaquilts] I would love to print mine but my HP keeps jamming so I have been hand writing them Not a good thing my handwriting is awful./quote]

I'll try that. I have the prepared sheets. The HP is the kind that goes up and over as it prints. I want to get a printer that feeds from the top. I love my 3in1 just not for printing fabric

Quote Originally Posted by Janet My
    You should label all of them.... How many antique quilts have you seen showcased saying "Quilter Unknown"?
    The people who are working with these quilts beg us to put labels on our quilts. I try to do this, but must admit it does not come naturally to me. I made one for a DGD's quilt on my machine, using the built in letters and I think it took me longer than making the actual quilt. LOL

Yes to labels, when that quilted item becomes an antique, those looking at it will want to know who, where, & why the quilt was made. I make my labels on my embroidery machine
    quilt name
    pattern/magazine
    size
    who designed/pieced the top
    city-state
    year it was finished
    made especially for
    quilter
    Funded by (my husbands name) so he always gets some credit
    Those Who Sleep
    Under a QUILT
    Sleep Under
    A Blanket of LOVE

At a quilt class one of the ladies makes her labels and incorporates into the back of the quilt BEFORE it is quilted. She uses scraps from the front and puts a row in the back one of which is the label.

I have used my letters from my sm (an old one so not that great) to put the label on the binding that will be on the back of the quilt. I saw where someone did this and it was great and much easier for me.

I add a label to all my quilts, I fuse it to the backing before quilting, sewing down the edges and then when it gets 'quilted' it is even more secure.

Blog Entries
    There are new pens out especially for putting labels on quilts they are very fine and once you iron over them it doesn't wash off.

I especially like to add a message in the corner of the quilts I make for other people, I have just finished a quilt for a little girl in LA, even though she is only 3 weeks old I will label it "Made with love for Annalise by Carol 2011".

I usually label mine now. At one point, it never entered my mind.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast