Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilting with linen napkins

Quilting with linen napkins

I was given a couple of dozen luncheon size linen napkins and some table cloths. They are the kind that take Lots of starch and ironing. As to the age of the line, I would say 50+ years. My daughter wondered if they could be used to make a quilt. There's beautiful embroidery on the corners of the napkins and on the table cloths, but my concern is the practicality of such a quilt because of the washing issues.. Has anyone on this great board had any experience using table linens in a quilt?
    Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-11-2017 at 03:15 PM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS

https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-...d-t291949.html

This is a nice video that I found because I have some lovely hankies and doilies I want to incorporate into a quilt.
    Not sure if this is something you would like but I thought I'd toss it out to you.

Cindy Needham uses vintage linens in quilts. She has tips on using them in her Craftsy class, Machine Quilting Wholecloth Quilts.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    also check out Kelly Cline quilting--she uses lovely vintage linens to make gorgeous quilted wall hanging, etc. I plan to use some of the linens that my g-ma made--better on display than stuffed in a cedar chest turning yellow!

It makes sense to use them in things that won't be washed - wallhangings, table toppers, bags perhaps?

Thanks to all for your great suggestions! I’ll get busy with checking out all websites !

If they wash up well, I wouldn't hesitate to use them in a quilt. The quilting will keep them from needing that kind of ironing once the quilt is completes.

Blog Entries
    This is an idea that I am collecting used embroidery items to try. I am not going to worry about the fabrics, just put tulle over the embroidery before I quilt them. I figure if they have been used and washed, they should hold up, but I am using the tulle as insurance.

https://pin.it/iVDc6ct
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Irishrose2 View Post
    If they wash up well, I wouldn't hesitate to use them in a quilt. The quilting will keep them from needing that kind of ironing once the quilt is completes.
    I was thinking the same. I've used washed linen to make garments and they are just fine. I think once you quilted them they'd work well. Regular quilting cottons often don't come out of the washer flat and ironed looking and they work well once quilted. I think the napkins will do the same. And if they are old and have been used a lot, they may be nice and soft when the starch is washed out of them.
    Last edited by cashs_mom; 11-12-2017 at 07:03 PM.
    Patrice S

Linen napkins are usually pretty sturdy "stock". I don't think I'd hesitate to use them. Maybe not in a children's quilt but I bet they would make a beautiful quilt for another use.
    Make sure you post a photo...

Linen is one of the most durable fabrics ever - I've used it in quilts a number of times and love it. In fact, I buy linen yardage for the express purpose of using it in quilts and for backing. it is more textural than cotton, so if you like that look, then go for it.

I made one for my sister using grandmas's linens and hankies. I washed and pressed/starched and used fusible interfacing on most of the pieces. There were lots of embroidered pieces that were from dish towels and table cloths. She has been using it on her bed for 2 years. There is one piece that fell apart and needs to be replaced. But the rest has help up pretty well.Name:  iphone 045.JPG
Views: 363
Size:  1.71 MB
    Last edited by bernamom; 11-13-2017 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
    This is an idea that I am collecting used embroidery items to try. I am not going to worry about the fabrics, just put tulle over the embroidery before I quilt them. I figure if they have been used and washed, they should hold up, but I am using the tulle as insurance.

https://pin.it/iVDc6ct
    That is so cool!

Here is an example of one of the quilts I made using vintage linens and embroidered items....don`t have a problem with the washing because these pieces have been washed over and over....
    Quote Originally Posted by fallongrannie View Post
    I was given a couple of dozen luncheon size linen napkins and some table cloths. They are the kind that take Lots of starch and ironing. As to the age of the line, I would say 50+ years. My daughter wondered if they could be used to make a quilt. There's beautiful embroidery on the corners of the napkins and on the table cloths, but my concern is the practicality of such a quilt because of the washing issues.. Has anyone on this great board had any experience using table linens in a quilt?
    Thanks for your help!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Huntannette-that is beautiful with all the lovely hankies. I have saved some from my grandma and previously I have seen butterflies made from them for a quilt. I like use the squares by themselves, or maybe make birds somehow.

Love your quilting. That's a wonderful way idea.