Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting with linen napkins >

Quilting with linen napkins

Quilting with linen napkins

Old 11-11-2017, 03:05 PM

Default Quilting with linen napkins

I was given a couple of dozen luncheon size linen napkins and some table cloths. They are the kind that take Lots of starch and ironing. As to the age of the line, I would say 50+ years. My daughter wondered if they could be used to make a quilt. There's beautiful embroidery on the corners of the napkins and on the table cloths, but my concern is the practicality of such a quilt because of the washing issues.. Has anyone on this great board had any experience using table linens in a quilt?
Thanks for your help!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-11-2017 at 03:15 PM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
Old 11-11-2017, 03:18 PM
Power Poster

Doilies and Hankies- Love Letters Video with Kaye Wood

This is a nice video that I found because I have some lovely hankies and doilies I want to incorporate into a quilt.
Not sure if this is something you would like but I thought I'd toss it out to you.
Old 11-11-2017, 04:33 PM
Power Poster

Cindy Needham uses vintage linens in quilts. She has tips on using them in her Craftsy class, Machine Quilting Wholecloth Quilts.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:44 PM

also check out Kelly Cline quilting--she uses lovely vintage linens to make gorgeous quilted wall hanging, etc. I plan to use some of the linens that my g-ma made--better on display than stuffed in a cedar chest turning yellow!
Old 11-12-2017, 04:02 AM

It makes sense to use them in things that won't be washed - wallhangings, table toppers, bags perhaps?
Old 11-12-2017, 08:07 AM

Thanks to all for your great suggestions! I’ll get busy with checking out all websites !
Old 11-12-2017, 01:23 PM

If they wash up well, I wouldn't hesitate to use them in a quilt. The quilting will keep them from needing that kind of ironing once the quilt is completes.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:20 PM

This is an idea that I am collecting used embroidery items to try. I am not going to worry about the fabrics, just put tulle over the embroidery before I quilt them. I figure if they have been used and washed, they should hold up, but I am using the tulle as insurance.

https://pin.it/iVDc6ct
Old 11-12-2017, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Irishrose2 View Post
If they wash up well, I wouldn't hesitate to use them in a quilt. The quilting will keep them from needing that kind of ironing once the quilt is completes.
I was thinking the same. I've used washed linen to make garments and they are just fine. I think once you quilted them they'd work well. Regular quilting cottons often don't come out of the washer flat and ironed looking and they work well once quilted. I think the napkins will do the same. And if they are old and have been used a lot, they may be nice and soft when the starch is washed out of them.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 11-12-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:27 AM

Linen napkins are usually pretty sturdy "stock". I don't think I'd hesitate to use them. Maybe not in a children's quilt but I bet they would make a beautiful quilt for another use.
Make sure you post a photo...