Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting magazines >

Quilting magazines

Quilting magazines

Old 11-20-2010, 08:51 AM

I have had problems with some of the old McCalls magazines. I like American Patchwork and Quilting magazines. Quiltmaker and Fons an Porter are also good ones. I agree that you need a good start out book. Eleanor Burns, Fons an Porter, Quilters Complete Guide,The Quilters Ultimate Visual Guide and Singer, all have good books for starting quilters. There are so many good ones, so I would say to research beginning quilting books on the web. There . it is to your preference. Happy Quilting!
Old 11-20-2010, 09:11 AM

Boy if i could i would get them all
Old 11-20-2010, 11:08 AM

After having many different quilting magazines, I have settled on McCalls Quilting as my favorite and still get that one. Occasionally I will pick up a Quick Quilts or a baby quilt magazine. With grand babies 20 and 21 due the end of the year, I need inspiration!
Old 11-20-2010, 11:17 AM

I agree with relaxing, dreaming, and just studying the colors that are used in the various magazines. I always see something that excites me. I like the Quilt Sampler magazine as I get to visit the various quilt shops across country. Sometimes I visit the links to their shops and like browsing there too. No, that definitely does not help me be a "quilter completer, but still fun.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by hlponyfarm
what kind of Quilting magazines do you all get? what are your favorites? what would you suggest for a beginner quilter?
None yet, although i did buy one that came with a free DVD Marianne and Mary Fons made it. VERY good I thought. I forget the name of the magazine.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by MissJMac
Sorry, I guess I'm too old (70) and impatient to deal with the magazines. I tried a Fons and Porter subscription and was completely turned off by the amount of advertisements - they took over the magazine. Seems the quilts and articles were an afterthought. I've received 3 so far and the last two lay unread on a shelf. I much rather spend my money on the soft cover quilting books, Quilts, Quilts, Quilts; Eleanor Burns, etc. I also have 13 VCR tapes of Simply Quilts (what will I do when the VCR machine dies on my???)
The Internet is loaded with free sites that offer everything you can get in a magazine - Of course my favorite source of inspiration is this site = love you ladies. Janet
I get some craft magazines and I agree the advertsing has taken over the entire magazine! When my subscriptions run out, I am internet bound completely!
Old 11-20-2010, 11:49 AM

i love to look at quilt mags. for me it is like petting fabric. i get ideas and patterns, new techniques. even like the advertising, however, there is too much of it. the ads allow me to check out the newest fabric lines and tools so that when i go to the lqs i already know what i am looking for.

our local guild has a table of free items every meeting and there are always mags there. also, garage sales and thrift shops. quilt shows often have country store where you can get really good deals on bundles of mags, or really cheap used books. i have never tried the library for quilt books, will have to dust off my library card. tee-hee

having said all that, i use the internet most of all.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:20 PM

I like Quiltmaker and The Quilter magazines.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:14 PM

I have purchased only one magazine because it had software in it so I could have the patterns on my computer. I've gotten to where I can look at a photo and pretty much figure out how it's made, except for art quilts, which I would never attempt to copy anyway.

I would borrow from the library if I ever found one with a pattern I couldn't live without - and then I'd take it home and scan what I need into an electronic file. So much of it is available in non-paper form and I sure don't have time to browse like I used to.

I wouldn't subscribe.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:41 PM
Dee

When the last of the mags run out-I will not renew any of them. Ads galore and repeats of pattern, only different colors and blocks placed in differently. You can get so much on the internet and here free, so why pay for ads and repeats.