Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting magazines >

Quilting magazines

Quilting magazines

Old 11-20-2010, 09:02 PM

I think nowdays, the magazines are only designed to sell the newest fabrics. It's the same old patterns with new and different colors. I can do that without paying for a magazine!
Also, both of my quilt guilds have a guild library where I can check out books to teach me techniques I might need.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by hlponyfarm
what kind of Quilting magazines do you all get? what are your favorites? what would you suggest for a beginner quilter?
Funny I should see this tonight. As some of you know I'm a beginner at this quilting thing and I've been tempted to give up because I'm not so good with math.
I don't subscribe to any quilt magazines yet, but probably will in the future.
Anywhoooooooooo

I bought a magazine today that has a DVD with it. I'm so glad I did!
It's Fons & Porter's easy quilts, Learn to quilt. Watching the video gave me new hope. :) While I still don't totally understand the "shrinking" of a piece, I think its becoming a bit clearer. I will watch the DVD more than once before I try the 9P that they demonstrate but I think I may have renewed my hope of becoming a quilter.

My suggestion to all newbies is BUY this magazine!!
Old 11-21-2010, 05:43 AM

I'm glad you didn't give up! Keep at it and you will get the fever!
Old 11-21-2010, 04:15 PM

believe it or not, I subscribe to Quiltmaker, F & P, American Patchwork & Quilting, Quilter's Home, Quilters World, The Quilter Magazine, McCalls Quilting and receive F&P Easy Quilts thru Quilters Club of America! I used to get Quilters Newsletter, but didn't like most of their patterns, so let it expire after about 5 years. I am certifiable-but most I subscribed to while living overseas where it was my only connection to anything (or anybody) quilting! I just keep renewing. I do, however, keep every issue and periodically I thumb thru them again and always discover something new. I am currently making projects out of all the previous Dec issues over the years for Xmas.
Now, when I was just starting out, I first subscribed to Quiltmaker (in 2000) and that magazine taught me to quilt. I found the patterns easy to understand, I loved that many of their patterns show an alternative color scheme, and they also give quilting motifs for many of their quilts so it took away alot of the stress of how to quilt it. I still subscribe to it.