Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A quilting memory of my greatgrandmother and her sister

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandquiltchick
    It was a frame that was "old" to them. It was just 4 long strips of wood joined at the corners. I think it had screws w/twist on/off bolts so that it could be taken apart. Then there were ropes/cords going up to the ceiling through hooks in the ceiling and they would pull the ropes to raise and lower and then tie off at a cleat over on the wall.
    I'd love to find one of these old frames. I don't remember how they attached the quilt exactly. I want to say some kind of spring clamps, but remember it being rolled under some. I'd crawl under it and play and look up through to see the light coming through and them sewing.

We have one of those stored in the attic. It belonged to my late MIL's aunt and will be given to another family member at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandquiltchick

It was a frame that was "old" to them. It was just 4 long strips of wood joined at the corners. I think it had screws w/twist on/off bolts so that it could be taken apart. Then there were ropes/cords going up to the ceiling through hooks in the ceiling and they would pull the ropes to raise and lower and then tie off at a cleat over on the wall.
    I'd love to find one of these old frames. I don't remember how they attached the quilt exactly. I want to say some kind of spring clamps, but remember it being rolled under some. I'd crawl under it and play and look up through to see the light coming through and them sewing.
    My mother and granny quilted on a frame like this. I think they just have long spike nails dropped in holes in all four corner the hold the frame square.
    The frame board had hole drilled down the length evenly spaced and when they attached the quilt they whip stitch the quilt on the frame using the drilled hole for the needle and thread to go through.

I also use to play under the quilt frame...had to because the quilt covered most of the living room.

I have some similiar memories of my Aunt Bernice Clark from Independence, La who made satin quilts and sold them. Her daughter, Bessie Clark, helped her sew them in their home. They are both deceased now.

Blog Entries
    Great memory!

From Baltimore, currently live in Charlotte, NC
    Sandra,

What a rich legacy. Thank you for sharing your story. I could "see" them quilting together.

From Baltimore, currently live in Charlotte, NC
    Sandra,

What a rich legacy. Thank you for sharing your story. I could "see" them quilting together.

It sounds like you had an amazing Grandmother and she left you with just wonderful memories!

Sounds like you lived in my Gram's house. The quilt was lowered from the ceiling when all the aunts gathered for their twice weekly sewing bee.

Blog Entries
    I'd sure like for the uncomplicated times back. It was
    sure different back then.

I have may great grandmothers frame she gave it to my grandmother and my grandmother gave it to me.

mine are hewn out of popular and have holls drilled down the side and in the corners

No one in my family was ever a quilter or sewer that I know of. My mother was a crocheter and made me a quilt from a kit which I still use. My MIL was a quilter and started one in the Depression and finally finished it in the 70's when she retired. She continued to quilt on her frame she bought at a garage sale. It was the kind that sat on the floor that you pinned the quilt and everything to. She is the one who got me interested in quilting although I have only made 2 large quilts. I have several she made us and they are being used. I love the story of the ladies in Georgia.

Thank you so much for sharing this lovely story. Yes, those grandmother memories do come to mind with greater intensity when we are waiting to become grandmothers too. My grandmother's love still comforts me and I've tried to pass that along to my granddaughter. How lucky your family is to have you! How lucky we are that you shared with us!

When i was little my Mom belonged to a group the"sewing circle". before i went to school and in the summers when they met-once a month, i would play under the quilt frame. Mom had to be the youngest one there as the other ladies were probably grandmothers. their quilting frame sat on 4 stands. the quilts were thumbtacked to the boards and the boards were held together at the corners with c-clamps. they would roll it up as they went and was also portable b/c they met at different houses.Perhaps that was the first quilting seed that was planted for me.

Lyn
    What lovely memories. As a kid we were transfered constantly and then I married a Naval Officer and moved even more. Never got to know my grandparents very well. Now that my DH has retired we have settled and I hope somday to have grandchildren and give them memories.

My Grandmother hand pieced her quilt tops in the summer, then quilted them in the winter. I remember her stitches being so tiny that it looked as if a machine had sewn it. Each stitch had to be just right. She too sold her quilts. Mostly she made them for family.

I enjoyed reading your memories. I don't have the memories of my ancestors doing quilting, but I do own 4 generations of quilts from my family. I love having them and often look at them and wonder just what was going on in their lives when they were sewing them. I have been doing genealogy for 30 years and know lots about these ladies.

My grandmothers both were wonderful seamstresses but did not quilt. One grandma made a crazy quilt and left it to me. I was the only GD on both sides of the family to do much sewing so I got a lot of things when they passed away but I also got a lot of one on one time with both grandmas that the other girls didn't get. That was the best part.

Thank you so much for sharing.

Thank you for sharing a wonderful story. As a child there were
    hooks to hold a quilting frame in the ceiling of my g-parents home. I knew that I wanted quilting hooks in my home when I grew up. No I don't have hooks in my seiling but I do have quilts in the making now. My family says I have sewing stuff all over the house. Sewing gives me the connection to past generations, my g-daughter is learning to sew. Memories need to past on.

My sister lives in okla, she is 78 years old and she has the quilter frame from the ceiling she wanted me to quilt last summer but it would have taken a lot of time i told her no call the quilting lady but we have a blast making the tops

What a neat story, thank-you for sharing! My Gram and a grand-aunt both make quilts. I'm 66 now but I can still see them in memory of years ago, sitting at auntie's kitchen table talking about blocks and colors, also about their embroidery. Sure makes me lonesome.

How lucky you are to have such beautiful memories!

How lucky you are to have such beautiful memories!

Blog Entries
    What wonderful memories! Thank you for sharing them. Brings back Memories of me as a child visting my Great Aunt. Aunty did not quilt but did a lot of cross stich and taught me. But she sure could cook. And tell all the family stories.

Thanks for sharing, makes me wamt to sit by your fire and stitch a spell.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast