Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting with the New Bernina 820 >

Quilting with the New Bernina 820

Quilting with the New Bernina 820

Old 08-16-2010, 10:25 AM

What does BSR mean?
Old 08-16-2010, 10:37 AM

BSR = Bernina stitch regulator. It makes your stitches all even when doing free motion quilting.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:48 AM

I don't have one (but would love to have it), but BSR stands for "Bernina Stitch Regulator." It's available on some Berninas and helps keep free motion quilting stitches an equal length. I've definately heard mixed reviews, but if you compare my work on a non-BSR Bernina with my work on a BSR machine, the BSR free-motion quilting stitches are much more even in length, and I can go faster with the stitching looking better.

Hope that helps!

Mattee
Old 08-16-2010, 10:58 AM
Power Poster

I used the new Bernina 820 in a Bernina Club class. I was not impressed enough to want one. I really liked the long arm frame that Bernina has for it though.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I used the new Bernina 820 in a Bernina Club class. I was not impressed enough to want one. I really liked the long arm frame that Bernina has for it though.
Yes, it took about a month for me to get use to that method of sewing, i.e. raising-lowering needle, cutting threads, threading needles plus all that computer jibber jabber and ALL by a button. It has, however, saved my right shoulder a great deal, especially since the shoulder is beginning to give me joint problems.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:50 PM

I know it's been a while since you submitted this post, but I just stumbled across it during a search, as I have the same problem.

I found out today, that there is an issue with the early 820's and a different dealer told me that there is a fix for a few issues, and they have to send it back to Chicago. They are not broadcasting this, but I'm going to send mine in. Otherwise, I absolutely love it. That is really my only complaint. It even started skipping stitches in free motion mode without the BSR, which I have never used because of the issue.

I wonder if you resolved your problems. It's more then just a spring, because I've had that done too.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by Zoombaby
I know it's been a while since you submitted this post, but I just stumbled across it during a search, as I have the same problem.

I found out today, that there is an issue with the early 820's and a different dealer told me that there is a fix for a few issues, and they have to send it back to Chicago. They are not broadcasting this, but I'm going to send mine in. Otherwise, I absolutely love it. That is really my only complaint. It even started skipping stitches in free motion mode without the BSR, which I have never used because of the issue.

I wonder if you resolved your problems. It's more then just a spring, because I've had that done too.
I did take it back to the dealer and they changed the spring. They told me that mine was purchased right during the time that they were making them with a stronger spring and there was no way to know if mine had the old one. So he checked it and put in a new one. I still have not played with it, but I guess I should. I am very new to machine quilting and still go back to just cross hatching, because I am afraid to try it on a quilt I have worked hard on. My plan is to make several practice sandwiches and just play. Life has been a little hectic, so I am looking for that window where I can just do a little playing in my sewing room.

I also feel very fortunate that I have a dealer that is amazing and always willing to help no matter what. So I know when I actually get to it, he will guide me through any problems.

Let me know when you get it back and how it works...

Take Care...Laura
Old 07-09-2012, 03:52 PM

I have had my spring replaced about 4 or 5 times. I have the early model of the 820 and have nothing but problems since day 1. I am so sick of this machine , it should not be this way. Paid a huge price tag for huge expectations and only got huge headaches. Wakeup Bernina and get this fixed!
Old 03-26-2013, 04:27 PM

Same for me I got my 820 in 2010 and since I had a lot of troubles with the BSR. After 3 or 4 minutes of free motion I have a lot of large points. My friend has exactly the same 820 and she has the same problem. Also, sometimes the sewing machine just stops sewing. So, we make our quilting on the 440. I even get better quilting with my old 1008.
It's really a pain.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by jacee kay View Post
I agree with you,Maria. I have the 440. I like to use the BSR in mode 2. It regulates to my movement of fabric. I go at a slower pace and try to keep my movements smooth. I think practice is the best way to get better.
I am making some pot holders to practice stippling then I have them to give away.
I use mode 2 as well and smaller stitch length. If it keeps skipping, call the dealer. I don't think that is user error. Practice does help!