Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
QUILTING FOR OTHERS ADVICE >

QUILTING FOR OTHERS ADVICE

QUILTING FOR OTHERS ADVICE

Old 08-20-2011, 02:51 AM
Power Poster

I just had a queen top quilted by a local LAQ and it was $90 including batting. Her turn around time is about two weeks. She did a great job. She basted a baby bed quilt and a large baby blanket which she also quilted 6 large (5" x 8") script letter A on it and charged me $15 including batting for 1 of them. She does a great job so I think I will keep her

Originally Posted by butterflies5518
I recently paid for a queen top, batting (W&N) and shipping at $125.00. I thought I got a wonderful price and the work was beautiful.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:41 AM
Power Poster

No way is that enough money. Even years ago, in our area, $125 for a twin all over was not uncommon. No wonder the other person is quiting.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:41 AM

In the guild that I belong to, our LAQ charges $20 but you have to have everything ironed to a T and the guild supplies the thread and batting. We only choose an all over design. With that being said she will only take two of these quilts in a month. It really is a labor of love for all of us as these charity quilts go to a local domestic violence shelter.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:53 AM

Well, for me, I won't press and put on frame for what the other quilter charged...$40? I pay in Texas apx $125-150 for king size just meandering, in Fla it is $150-200 for meandering...if you want custom its $50 to $100 more...and worth every penny...to hand quilt the same quilt close to the meandering or custom would take 3 weeks to 6 weeks, working several hours a day...if you don't charge what your work is worth you are cheating yourself...there is always someone looking for a bargain...Quilting is fun, relaxing but it is still time and energy spent...Good luck...memepeggy
Old 08-20-2011, 04:16 AM

Good Morning,

First off I love both the top and third quilts. They are both my colors.

As far as quilting for practally nothing, these ladies should know how long it takes to make their quilts. Ask them "Would they make them for someone for the price they can buy one at discount store"?
If they get snotty you do not want their business anyway. They would only critize.

Don't let it bother you. There is always a learning curve take your time practice with your and your friends quilts for now. Maybe down the road when you feel more confident. It sounds like you try for perfection. That is wonderful. I always try for that as well.

I have an embroidery machine people see them demonstrated and when ask for a complicated design they say well you on'y push a button and it does it all for you! NOT true. I just don't worry about it and politely tell them I am not interested but I know a couple professional embroidery stores that they can try.

Dawn NY
Old 08-20-2011, 04:18 AM

I DON'T KNOW IF YOU ALL REMEMBER OR BUT, I HAD A KING QUILT DONE AT A LQS IN FLORIDA IN JUNE WHILE I WAS THERE. SHE DIDN'T FINISH IT. SHE LEFT TOP AND BOTTOM UNDONE. THAT COST ME $250.00 THEN I HAD TO FIND SOMEONE TO FINISH IT FOR ME, WHICH COST ME $70.00 TOTAL=$320.00. I LIVE IN INDIANA. BUT AM MOVING BACK TO FLORIDA. THEY SEEM TO CHARGE MORE THERE.
BUT MY DH FOUND A HINTERBERG FRAME(BARELY USED IF AT ALL)
AND ALL THE ACCESSORIES,PLUS A JUKI MACHINE IN MICHIGAN. ALL FOR $600.00. HE DROVE THERE AND BOUGHT THEM FOR ME.NOW I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO USE THEM,BUT THAT HAS TO WAIT UNTIL WE MOVE (THE END OF SEPT.)
ANYWAY, AT $40-50 THAT IS A BARGAIN. WHERE WERE YOU WHEN I NEEDED YOU. BUT I THINK IT IS WAYYYYY LOW FOR QUILTING.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:26 AM

My only comment is that my LA'er won't iron a back....send it ironed or it goes on wrinkly. You are too talented to be doing grunt work. I iron my back and front and hang them on hangers like a good pair of pants.
Lovely quilts you have there.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:28 AM

Our prices can't compare, as we pay around the $65 mark for a lap quilt and around $120 for a single.I even know a lady who paid $500 to have her double custom quilted.
However, I think Charisma gave you some experienced advice or you could do as they do in the shops here and charge a certain figure per square foot for simple meanders and extra for fancy stuff.Don't undersell yourself as it undermines the craft.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:29 AM

DITTO that! No way would they pay my price:)

Originally Posted by Cyn
Well it sounds like a great price for the ones paying you to do all the work but I'd be darned if I'd do it for that :)
Old 08-20-2011, 04:37 AM

I charge $25 to quilt a baby quilt and I don't do the binding, I charge $75-100 for a full/queen with no binding, and yes I'm like you it take a while to pin it in but after 50 or so you'll get faster. I do reduce the rate for some friends, the ones I know don't have any money.