Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
QUILTING FOR OTHERS ADVICE >

QUILTING FOR OTHERS ADVICE

QUILTING FOR OTHERS ADVICE

Old 08-20-2011, 04:37 AM

I am glad to see I am not the only one to have friends think I can quilt for them at such cheap prices. It's like I have all the time in the world! I bought my longarm for myself and do not feel ready to quilt for others. Thanks for bringing up this topic.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:39 AM

Zhillslady,

The lady that does my quilts charges by the sq. inch and I supply thread. She doesn't ask for the thread but I always take her some fresh spools. She can use them anyway she wants. Also, if I happen to pass that wonderful Dutch bakery I buy some goodies for her.

Quilter68 who is now 70

edited to add-of course I supply the batting and backing. My choice of backing goes with the colors of the quilt. How could anyone expect you to supply the batting and backing?
Old 08-20-2011, 04:40 AM

The quilt shop where I had my queen quilt quilted charged a penny per square inch.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:50 AM

I am also in Kentucky. Our local LAQ attended our guild meeting today. She brought a new price list with her. She explained it was a difficult decision, but even with the quantity of quilts she does, it is still difficult for her to make her machine payment every month, not to mention her other expenses. I believe she may also do quilts for individuals from Florida.

She also advised that names would go on a schedule list, but she would not take quilts until you were called to bring in your quilt -- she just does not have room to store all the quilts dropped off. I think that several of our guild members might sanwich their quilts before taking them to her. But I also that a few of them feel that if she has one of their quilts to work on, that gives them the right to dop off another quilt -- this is obviously something she will have to address.

I think it is not out of line to consider the cost of the machine, wear and tear on the machine, electric, supplies when figuruing a base price. Add a surcharge for extras, ie. short delivery schedule requests, for extra/special requests.

Above all remember you are running a business and it is up to you to determine what you charge, it should not be determined by what someone else charged, that was obviously not working for the former quilter.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:06 AM

I paid $150.00 for a queen size. Your quilts are beautiful.

Cookie
Old 08-20-2011, 05:07 AM

I have a LA and I enjoy it so much. With that said, there is no way I want to turn something I enjoy so much into work. I have it for my enjoyment, not another job.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:17 AM

Having a LA business can be fun, but it also can become "work".....you have to decide what you want. I do it as a business, but I looked into it very thoroughly-website quiltropolis has a good board for info.... there are also several books on the market giving info, ideas, etc., on LA. Your municipality may have small business requirements, laws that you will have to comply with, not to mention homeowner associations, if you live in an area that has convenants....there are sites to order threads, pantos......took me a year to decide....hmmmm, that was over 10yrs ago and I am still at it, BUT, don't have as much time to do my own quilting........PM me if you want more info
Old 08-20-2011, 05:30 AM

Most of the long arm quilters in my area charge $15.00 @ hours to do quilting of any style pluse $1.00 per bobbin used to do the quilting. Then the total of all plus tax.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:42 AM

I quess that I am confused. Do you want to LAQ as a hobby, part time job or full time job or just to be nice. Since you have a demanding full time job then you need to decide why you want to LMQ for others. Do you want to make this your side business? I know that time is money but what would you be doing with you time if you were not LAQ. I know someone who does LAQ and his prices are really cheap. However he is disabled and not able to get out of his house so LAQ gives him somthing to do and extra money. If you decide to LAQ to make extra money then charge more then the other lady but less than your LQS. and remember "NO" is NOT a 4 letter word. Some people LAQ because they really like it but when it is not longer fun then it becomes a job!
Old 08-20-2011, 05:43 AM

My thought exactly.