Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
QUILTING FOR OTHERS ADVICE >

QUILTING FOR OTHERS ADVICE

QUILTING FOR OTHERS ADVICE

Old 08-20-2011, 09:24 AM

The first thing I was taught in hairdressing school was "There is no such thing as FRIENDS in business".

It's a wonder they didn't ask you to do this long ago to save them postage but they're desperate now....Don't do it, you'll hate yourself in the morning.

If it was me, I'd just tell the one with the cajones to ask that I don't even want to go there because it would be a detriment to the many friendships you hold dear in the group.
My gosh, they really can't expect you to pick up the slave wage gauntlet they threw down. Good luck...if you need to hide, I'm just 1 1/2 hours away just north of Dunedin.

BTW, zhills, are you going to Jacksonville next month for the quilt show? I plan to be there. Maybe we'll run into each other there....Just look for my tarnished halo. (^..^)

Oh, forgot to mention, my LAQ at Rainbow's End charged me $135 for a queen snowball 9 patch ( I supplied batting, backing and thread).... I do my own now but I thought that was a fair price...she did a beautiful job.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:25 AM

The LAQ'ers in my area charge as follows: 1)$1 per inch on the longest side with $6 extra for the thread..2)Add the longest and shortest sides together and divide by .015. Those prices are for standard quilting and does not include any batting or backing. It is extra for custom quilting. I think that is when you want to put it in a show. I agree, it is no wonder your lady is overwhelmed. Good luck...
Old 08-20-2011, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by charismah
OK ....I try to stay out of these types of topics because everyone has a different opinion and since I have started LAQ I have had to adjust my prices several times. It is the nature of the business and trial and error...chalk it up to experience.
:wink:

I know why that other quilter retired! I don't know her or anything about her. But she was worn ragged and clearly under valued herself. :thumbdown: They were paying more in postage sending stuff back and fourth...hardly seems worth the time.

You are right! It isn't worth it. I would look at fair market value...check out other local quilters. See who offers the same type of services you do and keep it within the same range. You know after a few quilts you will realize what is worth your time ...I really feel bad for that other quilter..honestly!
Charisma, you are absolutely correct! I'm with you on this one....seems women (and some guys) totally undervalue their work. That brings it down for all! You go, girl!
Old 08-20-2011, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

It is "possible" that these ladies are still paying 3 cents for a postage stamp - translation: they are totally out of touch with what the current rates are.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:43 AM

My local quilters charge by the square foot. I did find one that is less expensive but even for a queen size quilt with her, and I provide the batting, backing and thread and I do the binding - she charged me $150. Where I live which is outside of Phila., PA that is a great price. My first quilt I took to a local quilt shop and it was a double bed size - my bill was $280.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:50 AM

Don't turn your enjoyable hobby into something you feel you "have to do". Soon, that hobby won't be enjoyable anymore.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:22 AM

And why do i do my own? Because my LQS charges 5 cents per square inch!! I only make large (queen and king) quilts and that could run into many, many dollars!
Charge a fair price for your time - don't sell yourself short, your work is lovely!!
Old 08-20-2011, 10:48 AM

The lady who has done the few quilts I've made over the past few years charges our quilt group $25 for a 48"x72" cot-size quilt. That includes poly batting, but not hemming or binding. She charged me $50 for a king size last year. Her quilting machine is not a free arm, but an older one that is maybe 15 ft wide, so I doubt if she's had any overhead expenses for several years.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:56 AM

At my LQS they charge 30 to 40$ just to baste the sandwich together.The charge for quilting one ie waaaaaay out of my budget.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:59 AM

I have never seen a queen size quilted for less than $125. And that was just a plain panto.