Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Phobias >

Quilting Phobias

Quilting Phobias

Old 08-20-2011, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by MissyGirl
I have never seen this topic brought up before so I thought I would share what terrifies me about quilting. I am scared of TRIANGLES. Seriously. I will design and create quilt after quilt but I have NEVER made a single block with a triangle in it. Weird, huh? I want to make them but I am so scared of messing them up. *Sigh* Am I alone in being afraid to make certain types of blocks or shapes in their blocks? I should say that I am not a new quilter either. I have been quilting since ’95. So, yeah. Sixteen years and not a triangle in anything I have ever made. LOL

Missy
I didn't read through the responses so sorry it this is a repeat. For triangles you need the "TUCKER TRIMMER." It is amazing I promise you will love triangles after you use it. They come out perfect and it is so so so so EASY!!!!

www.studio180design.net
Old 08-20-2011, 05:53 PM

have managed all of the above but decided to hand quilt my hand pieced GFG am haveing a terrible time with quilting stitch and my hand hurts it maybe that i am too old to do handquilting anymore
Old 08-20-2011, 05:58 PM

Mine is like a lot of you....Circles & Curves....If it has a straight line, I'll try it. Applique...Ummmmm, not good at it. Paperpiecing is time consuming but once you get the hang of it, it's fun.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:04 PM

Check out the CD program called Triangulations. You layer two pieces of fabric place the paper on top, stitch on the dotted lines and cut on the lines. Poof! You have triangle half squares. Go for it!
Old 08-20-2011, 09:24 PM

mine is circles and that drunkers path or what ever they call it.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:06 PM

My nightmare is paperpiecing and I think if I just dive in it won't be so bad. We all have something that is our devil. Sue
Old 08-22-2011, 12:10 PM

I can make very nice HST's, that is, they look really nice, even, straight, right size, etc. Sometimes I sew diagonally across squares, sometimes sew along the outside edges, depending on how many I need. Press Lots of starch. Pin carefully. BUT, when I put them together, there goes the points. But I will persevere, and hope to get it right someday.. But those flat tires of circle appliques, grrr...maybe after I conquer my points, the flat tires will behave!
Old 08-31-2011, 09:16 AM

Half square triangles make me nervous.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:28 AM

Don't be afraid of triangles...you'll do fine. The first quilt I ever made was triangles, all through it, and guess what, no one had told me at that point to "stay away from triangles", if you were a beginner. i didn't know the difference! They looked great....! lol
Old 09-01-2011, 12:58 PM
Power Poster

Girls! You have to do it to learn it. Did you learn to ride a bike? Drive a car? Cook anything? Do laundry? Sew triangles? Circles? It is just another thing to learn in life and it will open so much for you in the way of creativity.

Consider making a table runner. Find a pattern. Nothing big. Get some fabric you like. If you like the fabric chances are you will like the project. Now, if you really want to do it you will give yourself the challenge or you can make squares and strips forever, If it makes you happy.

Try stopping at a LQS and ask for a mini lesson. You may be surprised how helpful they will be. Thank them by purchasing a pattern and a few FQ.

Please! try it. There is nothing to lose and so much to gain! :thumbup: