Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Phobias >

Quilting Phobias

Quilting Phobias

Old 08-18-2011, 04:05 PM

Missy, I've been quilting since last Fall, but HSTs are doable after my last two quilts. Cut two squares of fabric 7/8 or an inch bigger than your desired size. Put them right sides together, draw a diagonal line from opposing corners - fine sandpaper on a clipboard is wonderful for holding them in place. Stitch 1/4" on either side of the line. Cut ON the line. Press and square the blocks (line the seam up with the diagonal line on the square-up ruler). Viola! A pair of perfect blocks consisting of two HSTs. Make one more set, sew then together and you've got a pinwheel. After doing a Jewel Box and now a Carpenter Star, I know I have to do mine this way. No bias edges and the size I want by cutting them down a little. The Jewel Box cutting directions didn't give me that leeway and I had to resew many.

If you've mastered a 1/4" seam, you can do anything!

Circles?? I'm actually considering it for my only DD who sews and her work is meticulous, unlike mine. Good idea? Nah! Will I do it? Probably.

What am I afraid of? Using a pattern with pieces cut less 2 1/2" square. Yikes!
Old 08-18-2011, 04:06 PM
Power Poster

Although I cannot remember the specific sites, but there are several out there that make triangles easy to make. I can understand your phobia, I have never made an Ohio Star quilt because I haven't figured out the 4 triangles in 4 squares of the pattern. Sometimes I think we are afraid of messing up, but isn't that why we have scraps - to test blocks out with scraps before beginning a quilt? Hang in there, and your phobia will become something in your past.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:07 PM

I was lucky enough (or naive) to be involved in blocks of the month that had triangles and didn't think twice unless I was having a tough time with piecing certain pieces together.

My greatest fear was homespun and lines...thinking about how horrible it would turn out cuz the lines wouldn't be straight. Have only used them in rag quilts and just tried not to think about it as I cut and pieced lol. Just kept thinking "keep my eyes on the prize!!!" Worked pretty well!
Old 08-18-2011, 04:13 PM

i used to be afraid of curves and circles. finally took a class and found out it was all in my head. while working on the pattern i realized that i had done lots of curves while making clothing. never put the two together in my pea brain until that moment.

many times we let negative info and fears we have heard from others influence us. "just say no" to those fears and dive in. you may find you actually like the thing you fear. weren't you afraid of the deep end at the pool and falling off that two wheeler?
Old 08-18-2011, 04:15 PM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

What's the worst that can happen? A messed-up block? We all own seam rippers. Stare your fear in the face and GO FOR IT! :-D
Old 08-18-2011, 04:28 PM

I have yet to make a triangle that didn't lose a point. But I keep trying. And my appliqued circles are more like flat tires.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:29 PM

I hate curved seams ... I'm gonna try them though. I have a whole quilt of apple cores already cut out ... just have to sew them together. :)
Old 08-18-2011, 04:31 PM

Same here!
Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
Mine is circles. maybe Applique too. I keep thinking circles are going to be just to hard and same with the needle turn applique!
Old 08-18-2011, 04:34 PM
Power Poster

I haven't done any piecing with circles, but hadn't identified it as a phobia... until now...
Old 08-18-2011, 04:37 PM

Oh my, what a conundrum, I can't believe what I am hearing....how about taking a class lol...or if you can't go to class, you can try youtube...none of the above is hard when you know a few tricks....I'll see if I can work in a few tuts for you between my S&C quilt.