Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Quilting Police - Are they Watching?

quilting is not meant to be so rigorous that you can't enjoy it. Use whatever stitch that you prefer. It will look wonderful. Do you think years ago as women on the plaines sat by the hearth, cooking their venison in big pots over a low flame, that they worred about fabric, colors, pattern, stitch selection? I would venture to say no. They did it out of necessity and I hope enjoyment.

So, please do what you need to ENJOY your quilting.

Blog Entries
    My Mom tried showing me how to quilt on a top that had printed dotds showing the pattern. I went dowwwn one dot., up at the next dot. WRONG!! She then proceeded to show me her way. She would come up at a dot, take a tiny backstitch, slide the needle between layers to the next dot, , up, backstitch, slide to the next. Those were the tiniest stitches!! Needless to say, I never even tried hand stitching after that. And the dots were real close together!! Mom was quilting by hand, even piecing by hand in 1905

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clem55
    My Mom tried showing me how to quilt on a top that had printed dotds showing the pattern. I went dowwwn one dot., up at the next dot. WRONG!! She then proceeded to show me her way. She would come up at a dot, take a tiny backstitch, slide the needle between layers to the next dot, , up, backstitch, slide to the next. Those were the tiniest stitches!! Needless to say, I never even tried hand stitching after that. And the dots were real close together!! Mom was quilting by hand, even piecing by hand in 1905
    Actually, a few months ago a friend of mine gave me a Christmas quilt to embroider (cross stitch) and there were dots all over it. Of course the first thing I thought of was OMG - French Knots!!!!!!! Well, Edie, try reading directions. It was the up-down-up-down hand quilting this 42x42 Christmas quilt - It has 16 different colors and of course, I had to pick red - Christmas color!!!!!! I will not get it done by Christmas.

Sweet story. I love those kinds of stories. It makes us all what we are. Edie

I WENT TO HARBER FREIGHT GO ONLY I PACKEG OF THOSE ROUND BLADES ALL THEY HAD I PAID 1.49 WENT BACKNEXT WENT NEXT WEEK NO BLADES BUT PRICE ON EMPTY HOLDER WAS1.99 WENT NEXT WEEK NOBLADES LOOKED ON WEB DOSENT SHOW ANY HOPE TEY ARE NOT DISCONTUNID SUZIEq

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kathyd
    I have never gotten the "rocking needle" motion for hand quilting. My stitches aren't very small either but they are consistent and my quilting method works for me. Do what works for you and forget the quilting police (they aren't real anyway and just gives us nightmares LOL)
    Just had to comment on your avatar. What a cutie pie... :D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltingfan
    I have never gotten the "rocking needle" motion for hand quilting. My stitches aren't very small either but they are consistent and my quilting method works for me. Do what works for you and forget the quilting police (they aren't real anyway and just gives us nightmares LOL)
    That is Miss Bess - Bessie or Bess for short. She is a handful.
    But she is going to be 8 years old in January, so she is getting a little better. She is a joy though. Loves to go for rides, walks, and visiting the neighbors! Specially the little boy across the alley who grabs her by the ears and kisses her all over the place. Thank you. She is a cutie pie!!!!! Edie

I learned to hand quilt using my middle finger, have you tried that and would it be less painful? But you can do whatever you want.
    Go Vikings!

Quote Originally Posted by RevPam
    No laws! No rules! QUilting is about creativity so maybe you will start somethin new that we can all learn from!
    I second that!!!!

Blog Entries
    When I first started to hand quilt I used a back stich. So go for it.

Blog Entries
    That's a wonderfully creative idea. I can't imagine the change in making the stitch will affect the look at all.
    Come over for coffee (or a home-brewed beer), and we'll watch that Vikings game and quilt together.

Blog Entries
    I agree, whatever works best for you! Quilting is all about fun and creativity...phooey on the quilt police!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greaterexp
    That's a wonderfully creative idea. I can't imagine the change in making the stitch will affect the look at all.
    Come over for coffee (or a home-brewed beer), and we'll watch that Vikings game and quilt together.
    I'll drink to that!!!!!! I think the Vikings are going down the tube! It's not Favre's fault! Don't get me going!

Never tasted home brew, but I have made homemade wine from our two grape vines!!!! Good stuff! Edie

Hi, are you using your index finger to push the needle? I use my middle finger with a thimble to hand quilt. The Aunt Becky is supposed to be super for those with arthritis. I have one but so far have had no pressing need to master it...yet

Quote Originally Posted by Edie
    I have my handy dandy JoAnn's PVC pipe quilt frame which I got from my husband for my birthday right here in the front room, where I plan to watch the Vikings beat the pants off whoever they are playing and start quilting my Star Sampler by hand. (It is a dandy invention this quilt frame!)

Anyhow, I have an arthritic index finger, right hand, and I am having a lot of trouble with a running stitch. Is there any law that says I cannot use a back stitch. I have tried both stitches (practice) and the back stitch doesn't hurt as much. It is mainly the first knuckle behind the fingernail that is out of shape and I cannot bend the finger all the way. And I am right handed so the needle is in my right hand.

You always read "running stitch" and this is going to be a gift and I don't want to make a fool of myself, I don't want the Quilting Police on my tail, but yet I want to hand quilt if I can and if it has to be with a back stitch, will it cause any problems! I am making my thread about 18" long. Most of you nice people say that the real satisfaction of quilting a quilt is doing it by hand. I have done some by hand, but I want to do a big one, with a nice patterned quilting design. (I did get some templates (easy ones to start)).

Thanks in advance. GO VIKES! Edie
    Have you thought of using a thumb thimble? Your thumb is very strong, and I use one for Hawaiian quilting because I can quilt in all directions.

Edie, Forget about quilt police. Whatever works for you. I use my middle finger on my right hand and my thumb on my left to quilt with when I am using a frame. I taught myself to quilt with both hands long ago. It is much more comfortable when using a frame as it keeps me from getting in that very awkard position with my right hand. If you can touch type or play the piano it should be easy for you to get the knack of both hands. I have always been a handquilter. At this point in my life the only thing I machine quilt is Linus quilts and gifts for small children. That is only because of time and the fact that those items will get lots of laundering.
    Many of my quilting friends think I am crazy for still handquilting. I manage to complete as many if not more projects than them the majority of the time.

I ordered on line an i got a card in the mail that said they were back ordered an would when they came in!!!
    hope i get then. crella

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingfan
    Yup, she is. although she is now 15 months old, walking and talking and wrapping me and grandpa around her finger. She's the first grandchild and they are just wonderful!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by txwildflower
    Quote Originally Posted by LindaR
    explain what a backstitch is...like in embroidery????
    Please explain the back stitch?????????? :lol: I can't figure out what you mean by the back stitch.
    Back stitch is when you put the needle in front of the stitch and come out a stitch ahead so that you are always putting your needle in back and creates a continues line. The running stitch is when the needle goes in and out and leaves little gaps.

Eddie,
    Sorry about the Vikings. Bret just couldn't connect with a receiver at the end. I watched the whole game + 2 more + all the ends of the in between games.
    Cheryl

Do whatever is best for you.

I have problems with arthritic knuckles and I stab stitch with a hoop. One hand stays under the hoop and you virtually pass the needle up and down through the fabric. Much easier on the hands but it is a bit slower (or is that just me?).

s ince do any of us need quilting police? i do my quilting my way and if the rest of the world doesnt like it pooh on them i just dont listen to any one and no one better try. quilt police if there ever are any should just drop dead.

Power Poster
    I think you should do whatever is best for you. If you can you should show us a sample of the backstitching on the quilt so we can see better how it will look. I believe stitching has two purposes which is to hold the top, batting and back together and to add stitch design and beauty to the quilt. Maybe the back stitch would add original beauty to the quilting. Go for it.

I think doing a back stitch is a good idea. I can not do a small stitch when I quilt by hand. It has been very frustrating to me. I have a few panels that I plan to use to practice, without a frame but like an embrodery hooop. I think a back stitch may be easier for me. Thanks for the idea!

Blog Entries
    Go ahead, I'll keep the quilting police locked in my basement for ya. :P

i wont tell if you dont

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast