Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Police - Are they Watching? >

Quilting Police - Are they Watching?

Quilting Police - Are they Watching?

Old 09-19-2010, 11:20 AM
Power Poster

SOme people use the stab-stitch method. Some use the big-stitch method. I just took a class using the Aunt Becky tool and it is geared for people with arthritic hands. NO ROCKING MOTION AT ALL. It takes a bit of practice, but I can see me using it. That said, if the back stitch works for you and you like the look, then I say go for it.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:35 AM

When I use the frame I put one hand on top and the other underneath and put it through to the top with the underneath hand. I'm a lot faster and neater this way. Only I know it's not a running stitch.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:32 PM

yOU MIGHT TRY WHAT IS CALLED A STAB-STITCH ALSO. IT MIGHT BE A LITTLE SLOWER BUT IS GREAT FOR PEOPLE WITH HAND
DISABILITIES, AND YOU STILL CAN GET THE JOY OF QUILING BY HAND.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:40 PM

the only thing that would make any difference in my thinking is "does the back side of the stitch please you?"
Old 09-19-2010, 12:53 PM

Do what works for you. No quilt police here.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:54 PM

quilting is not meant to be so rigorous that you can't enjoy it. Use whatever stitch that you prefer. It will look wonderful. Do you think years ago as women on the plaines sat by the hearth, cooking their venison in big pots over a low flame, that they worred about fabric, colors, pattern, stitch selection? I would venture to say no. They did it out of necessity and I hope enjoyment.

So, please do what you need to ENJOY your quilting.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:19 PM

My Mom tried showing me how to quilt on a top that had printed dotds showing the pattern. I went dowwwn one dot., up at the next dot. WRONG!! She then proceeded to show me her way. She would come up at a dot, take a tiny backstitch, slide the needle between layers to the next dot, , up, backstitch, slide to the next. Those were the tiniest stitches!! Needless to say, I never even tried hand stitching after that. And the dots were real close together!! Mom was quilting by hand, even piecing by hand in 1905
Old 09-19-2010, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by clem55
My Mom tried showing me how to quilt on a top that had printed dotds showing the pattern. I went dowwwn one dot., up at the next dot. WRONG!! She then proceeded to show me her way. She would come up at a dot, take a tiny backstitch, slide the needle between layers to the next dot, , up, backstitch, slide to the next. Those were the tiniest stitches!! Needless to say, I never even tried hand stitching after that. And the dots were real close together!! Mom was quilting by hand, even piecing by hand in 1905
Actually, a few months ago a friend of mine gave me a Christmas quilt to embroider (cross stitch) and there were dots all over it. Of course the first thing I thought of was OMG - French Knots!!!!!!! Well, Edie, try reading directions. It was the up-down-up-down hand quilting this 42x42 Christmas quilt - It has 16 different colors and of course, I had to pick red - Christmas color!!!!!! I will not get it done by Christmas.

Sweet story. I love those kinds of stories. It makes us all what we are. Edie
Old 09-19-2010, 02:40 PM

I WENT TO HARBER FREIGHT GO ONLY I PACKEG OF THOSE ROUND BLADES ALL THEY HAD I PAID 1.49 WENT BACKNEXT WENT NEXT WEEK NO BLADES BUT PRICE ON EMPTY HOLDER WAS1.99 WENT NEXT WEEK NOBLADES LOOKED ON WEB DOSENT SHOW ANY HOPE TEY ARE NOT DISCONTUNID SUZIEq
Old 09-20-2010, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by kathyd
I have never gotten the "rocking needle" motion for hand quilting. My stitches aren't very small either but they are consistent and my quilting method works for me. Do what works for you and forget the quilting police (they aren't real anyway and just gives us nightmares LOL)
Just had to comment on your avatar. What a cutie pie... :D