Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Prices >

Quilting Prices

Quilting Prices

Old 01-09-2011, 02:14 PM

you take 36 x36 and get 1296 sq inches in a yd. and take 1296x.03 cents and get $38.88 a sq yd and if you mean a sq foot instead of yd you divide it by 9 because there is 9 sq ft in a Sq yard. I am not smarter than a fifth grader. HA HA My grandson is in 6th grade and I have trouble cking is math.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:26 PM

I would tell them how big your quilt is and ask them to quote you the full amount...or better yet...do it on your sewing machine....its a lot of fun!
Old 01-09-2011, 02:52 PM

Well, I was thinking, if the cost of FMQ is more than the cost of the materials I piece (including batting and backing) - I simply cannot afford it. I realize my time to piece for personal use has no assigned value, and the LA business has a sizable investment in equipment, plus their labor. Therefore, to compare all known values, I would have to calculate the cost of all materials, my time, the LA expense, and determine if I could make a profit by selling the item. To justify .03 cents an inch, I would have to use top fabric at least $12.99/yard to produce the quilt quality that would sell at a profit. Otherwise, contracted FMQ is a luxury service! Many of us quilt for personal use to save money (by piecing and quilting free).

All this to say that the awesome benefit of quilting is available to almost every budget level; and can be applied to personal use and to business. We are very fortunate! Me? I'm just not that good - many on this forum are experts and perfectionists! They deserve to get paid for what they produce!
Old 01-09-2011, 03:09 PM

When someone is willing to pay for my time I am a handquilter for hire. I have seen some excellant work done by Long armers. I know several ladies that do outstanding work. While I shelled out for my wonderful Berina sewing machines, serger and embroidery machines I am not willing to put thousands of dollars into a long arm machine. I also have no place adequete to set one up in my home. I can handquilt and watch TV or listen to a book on tape or hold a conversatoin with friends or family. My main expenses are thread, needles, thimbles and a frame. A long armer has a huge investment in the machine that will take years to pay for unless she charges others for her work. While I am a very speedy handquilter a long armer can finish a quilt in days that would take me months.
Decide what is most important to you. Time, money or a finished quilt.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:08 PM
Power Poster

.03 per square inch is usually the cost of a custom job, it can go even higher then that but you should get some really nice quilting for .03 per square inch.