Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting - Purpose? >

Quilting - Purpose?

Quilting - Purpose?

Old 02-04-2011, 07:44 AM

I sew for relaxation. After working all day, it helps me get my mind of my patients. And my main purpose is to use up stash. I have tons of scraps from making Operating room hats, so there is a huge selection. But I want it to be sewn into fanciful quilttops before I die. My goal is zero scraps and stash to pass to my daughter. I buy only enough to set things together.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
A question out of curiosity: what is your main purpose when you make a quilt? Is it meant for daily use? For quilt shows? For decoration in your house? Or just because it's fun?
The reasons vary so much with each quilt -- yes, yes, yes, and yes. Sometimes also to give away or sell.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:08 AM

because they call me...as a creative outlet and therapy...to play with colors...to gift love...to send love into our world...for fun...to keep me sane (or as close as I can get to there--
Old 02-04-2011, 08:08 AM
Power Poster

all of my quilts are *usable* quilts..some have been heirloom quality, but all are used, and loved....if one wears out i either fix it or make a new one...i seriously have never understood getting something to pack away for ever...what is the point...so someone some day can find it and Maybe be happy with the find, or maybe just toss it to the goodwill...seems like a waste of my time to me. i never understood my grandma...she had a couple linens that were NEVER used...not allowed...she would really get (testy) if one of us kids pulled out a certain table cloth when setting the table....not allowed...well ya know what...when she passed away, not one of her 7 adult children had any interest in that table cloth...and it was set out beside the trash...all those years she protected it so...and for what ? i just don't get it...it has no meaning to me when i 'm gone, so why not enjoy it while i'm here? i've made a couple kids quilts that parents have (tried) to not let the kids use...i take them back and tell them...if that one isn't *good-enough* i'll just take it and try again...my thought on that is...the kid should be able to use the quilt as much as they want, if they love it and want to have picnics in the yard, or build forts in their room...it is WONDERFUL! when the child out-grows the quilt, that is when it is ok to put it away for them to share with their children in the future.,,,but they should be used...and i've entered plenty of them in shows and contests and have a wall full of ribbons...that does not change anything... pictures go with the ribbons...the quilts go on beds...in cars/trucks, what ever.
yup-i'm crabby ;-)
Old 02-04-2011, 08:11 AM

80-90% of mine have been gifts. I don't think I'm saving any money, but Christmas is so much easier when you have a stash of quilts made up and ready to go!
Old 02-04-2011, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

First because I enjoy making them, and second to be used, loved and worn out :D:D:D I doubt that any of mine will ever be entered in any form of competition LOL
Old 02-04-2011, 08:51 AM

My quilts are made to be used. Stitching has always been my sanity saver so it's wonderful to have a "useful" hobby as my dear MIL would say. If an object can't be used, she doesn't want it in her house and I think she probably has the right idea about quilts. Who and what are we saving them for? Not all people love or appreciate quilts so we who love them should use them and enjoy them and share them with others who feel the same.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:58 AM

Just for fun. Although a few of them are used for warmth too. My daughter keeps an "I LOVE YOU" quilt on her bed and she sleeps under it. I think she has a couple of other quilts that get used for various purposes from time to time. She recently made a bed for her American Girl dolls and I think the "mattress" was a folded quilt.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by BarbaraTX
My quilts would NEVER make it into a show. But they are all made with love and are to be used.
Ditto, I just love making them and giving them away, the look on the receivers face is wonderful.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:07 AM

Quilting is both my passion and addiction. From the traditional to the crazy, to the weird and wonky, I'll try anything, LOL it's my drug. Mostly I do it because it is my hobby, but I also teach. When I am doing it as my hobby - the quilts are just for me, friends, family, charity etc as homemade gifts from the heart made with a lot of love which gives me a tremendous sense of satisfaction and purpose. I spend the whole time making a quilt visualizing how much my intended recipient will find it special and useful imagining a smile across their face and it's that - which is the food that keeps my spirit going. I know quilting is apart of my purpose with others, to make them smile and laugh!

Someday I'd like to enter some traditional and art quilts into a show and/or contest, but I figure that won't happen for awhile given my whacky work schedule. Right now I have a specific idea for what I think would be a really neat art quilt project, and if I chose to go forward with it, I think it may be the first I endeavor to enter into a show and/or contest.

Explosive blessings, abundance and inspiration to you all!
- The Creative Seamstress