Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting queen sized quilt on my machine... >

Quilting queen sized quilt on my machine...

Quilting queen sized quilt on my machine...

Old 04-17-2015, 12:53 PM

Keep on trucking. I am happy it is going well for you.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:20 PM

Dina....i got it ....and i don't mind if you were bragging....having done queen size couple of times myself - on a machine that sits up on my table, not flat with the surface - i know what a challenge it can be. My biggest problem is my shoulders get tired and my arms get a little sore "dragging" the quilt around. So i say "good for you" !!!
But i doubt you'll have that problem...you are obviously way younger than i am ---- and if you're out jogging...in way better shape as well !!!
Old 04-17-2015, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by PenniF View Post
Dina....i got it ....and i don't mind if you were bragging....having done queen size couple of times myself - on a machine that sits up on my table, not flat with the surface - i know what a challenge it can be. My biggest problem is my shoulders get tired and my arms get a little sore "dragging" the quilt around. So i say "good for you" !!!
But i doubt you'll have that problem...you are obviously way younger than i am ---- and if you're out jogging...in way better shape as well !!!
Well, I am 67, but I am addicted to running, just like I am addicted to quilting. (Though I have only been quilting 5 years, I have been a runner for 37. It is an addiction. I get grumpy if I don't run...)

My machine also sits on top of a desk, not flush with the top. But when I put my ironing board to the left of my machine, that supports most of the weight of the quilt. Then there is some space behind my machine also, about 14 inches. I think supporting the quilt, like ManiaQuilter2 says, really helps.

I used to teach school and I enjoyed grading papers. I used to get the strangest stares from fellow teachers when I said I enjoyed grading papers. I suspect there were some quilters giving me similar stares through the monitor when I said I was enjoying this queen sized quilting. I probably wouldn't be enjoying it if things weren't going so well, but so far they are good. And I am just glad there are room for all of us out there.

Dina

Last edited by Dina; 04-17-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:43 PM

Here is the link that gave me the confidence to tackle this large quilt. It is only 6 minutes long, and it suggests that you not roll the quilt. This has worked very well for me....just in case it helps anyone else. My sister suggested this to me hers ago, but I just forgot that hint. I find it much easier using this method.

Dina

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI_V9Pdk-70
Old 04-19-2015, 04:19 AM

I quilt all of my quilts on my Bernina with the stitch regulator some free motion and some in the ditch when I do in the ditch I really like the serpentine stitch depending on the style of quilting I do I sometimes divide the quilt in sections I have one now that I am going to try upside down quilting looking for the right backing the will free motion the design
Old 04-19-2015, 05:48 AM
C.

Hi Dina, Bravo to you!!! The hardest step in doing something is getting started and sounds like you are well on your way. Keep the positive attitude going. I have quilted 3 king size quilts and numerous queen on my Janome 6600. Some straight line stitching and now lots of free motion and I am still loving it all. I also now have the Janome 8900 and have found that a lot smoother for my free motion quilting. I felt soooo intimidated with the free motion years ago, but kept trying. Now I am at a point where I am not afraid to try most any motifs and loving it even more. But I will say this, lots of practice sandwiches. I am constantly watching tutorials. So look forward to the amazing quilting you are going to do. And you are right about not rolling the quilt, that creates problems for me. I just keep it bunched up around and free from drag. We are always learning in this wonderful world of quilting........
Old 04-19-2015, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
I just reread what I wrote, and I sound like i am bragging, when I mainly meant to sound relieved. Anyway, my math was a bit off, and I am more like 1/20 done. Oh well, just 19/20 to go, and at least I am not hating it....

Dina

It doesn't sound like bragging at all! We who are considering it, are encouraged by your saying you are enjoying it, and having success with it. (Frankly, the very idea of a queen size makes me quake but I've realized I am an impatient quilter and just want to have it done, unlike how I am when piecing.)

I hope you keep us posted as you go along, and show pictures, as well! Congratulations and good luck!
Old 04-19-2015, 09:53 AM

I know the feeling of feeling so great about how far along you are. I was scared the firtst time I tried quilting a queen size on my DSM. For me it worked best if I rolled it on both sides toward the middle and worked my way out. Was really happy when I was able to get my own longarm to quilt on. Hope it keeps going good for you!
Old 04-19-2015, 11:16 AM
Power Poster

Congratulations on enjoying machine quilting on your DSM, enjoy the process. I quilted a king size quilt on my Sears Kenmore; then another King size on my Janome 4000, so it's possible to quilt a larger quilt on a DSM - both my king size quilts were about 110" x 110". I must add that I had my very large former dining room table, which really supported the quilt, while I was quilting them. That was a big help, and I quilted them both in the summer - with the large table top supporting the quilt, I could turn on a floor fan and not have to deal with a hot quilt. You rock girl, enjoy your quilting and have fun with it.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:06 PM

I quilt all of my own on my DSM Bernina. Largest, so far was 101 x 111 I have two to work on this week that are 100x110 and 98x 108.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!