Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilting Quickly Magazine

Quilting Quickly Magazine

I finally got one of these mags. Had to order from MSQ site, because none of the supposed sources around me had it. Anyway, I like the mag, but my concern is its affiliation with F/P. Kits and tutes available thru their website......is this going to be an ongoing thing? Just wondering. I don't honestly know if I will buy future issue if it offered....especially if the price remains as it is (9.99)--that is quite high...there is a lot of ads for F/P thruout.......Hope the tutes on Utube will continue to be there is they become a branch of fons/fons..............

Blog Entries
    I got mine several weeks ago, and some how I have managed to misplace
    it somewhere in all my stuff.

Can't wait to find it again so I can sit and enjoy it.
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I think this one was worth the money because it featured Jenny Doan and her YouTube videos and her quick quilts. I don't know if I'll buy any more of them. I'll have to check them out at the store first. This one was a gem!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I really like the issue also and would probably buy the next one. I like to be able to look at the video and the written part also. I think it will help when I am ready to make the project.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

I got my book from MSQ and Jenny signed it. I'm not sure if I"d bur another.Will have to see $9.99 is tp high.Mary
    learn each and every day,memories or play.

Blog Entries
    Quilting Quickly is published by F&P, so there's going to continue to be a very strong tie.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    In the Missouri Star Quilt Co. live chat last night, Jenny said she will continue to work on new videos to post on YouTube. That may not mean all the quilts in the magazine will have a tutorial, but there will be tutorials from her on YouTube in the future.

She said one she is working on is tumbling blocks with no Y-seams and using precuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    I finally got one of these mags. Had to order from MSQ site, because none of the supposed sources around me had it. Anyway, I like the mag, but my concern is its affiliation with F/P. Kits and tutes available thru their website......is this going to be an ongoing thing? Just wondering. I don't honestly know if I will buy future issue if it offered....especially if the price remains as it is (9.99)--that is quite high...there is a lot of ads for F/P thruout.......Hope the tutes on Utube will continue to be there is they become a branch of fons/fons..............
    What does F/P stand for and why does that bother you? I'm in the dark here...
    (When I see FP I think Fisher Price).

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    F/P == Fons and Porter

Quote Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
    I'm in the dark too. I don't understand why that would be an issue.

Is this an online magazine? Jenny's videos are available through the MSQ website in the tutorial section. Also, there is an MSQ app that has tutorials.

Would love to purchase this magazine, but with a delivery fee of $54 (to Australia) it is a bit out of my price range. I don't know how they work out their delivery fees, but anything I want to purchase thru them (Missouri Star Quilt Co.) the delivery fee is astronomical. My daughter can send a 4 kilo box to us here downunder for less than that.
    "The manner of giving is worth more than the gift"
    (Pierre Corneeille)

http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...565342FC5A.png

Quote Originally Posted by Quilty-Louise View Post
    I got mine several weeks ago, and some how I have managed to misplace
    it somewhere in all my stuff.

Can't wait to find it again so I can sit and enjoy it.
    I have had the same problem.......cant find it anywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
    F/P in my form of shorthand meant Fons and Porter, sorry if I confused some on board. It does not "bother"me with the affiliation, just an observation.......
    I am just hoping that the tutes remain on tube too.

I also think you get a little more detail with the magazine than on the videos. A new quilter might not know enough to avoid some confusion just watching the video. I love the magazine and have it loaned out to a friend that is just starting out. It is a little pricey, but it's also put together nicely.
    A time to tear, And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;

Fons and Porter took over QNN and charge for it. It used to be free and no ads.
    I bought the magazine and had it autographed but it is too expensive so unless the price goes down will not buy it again.

Quote Originally Posted by sengell View Post
    I have had the same problem.......cant find it anywhere!
    Bought mine at Kroger's, don't know if they have them in CA ? also saw it at Barnes & Noble, and maybe Hobby Lobby too ?

I had to wait several weeks to find it, but last week our local Hobby Lobby had it and I used the 40% off coupon on it.
    Great magazine!
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

Blog Entries
    I got the magazine at Joanns. Not hard to find

Blog Entries
    I have never seen this magazine before. Maybe I need to check it out.
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

My take on the Fons and Porter aspect of the magazine is that it is a means to an end. F&P are respected and obviously know what they are doing, they also have a larger purse and are more recognizable on the news stand than Missouri Star Quilt Co. They are only the publisher. Jenny Doan is the editor so all decisions on content will be her final decision. I wouldn't think she is going to become a shill for F&P - not when she has her own favorite notions and tools she uses and sells in her own shop.

Quote Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
    I got the magazine at Joanns. Not hard to find
    I'm pretty sure I saw it at JoAnns too. I noticed the name because I'm taking a class on Craftsy called Quilting Quickly and Jenny Doan teaches it.

I have already made one quilt from Quilting Quickly and have the fabric ready to make 3 more, so for me, the magazine was worth the cost. I like the fact that the magazine gives more information than the tutorials. For example, when I saw the "Big Star Quilt" tutorial, I knew I wanted to make that quilt. I ordered what I thought would be enough fabric. When I purchased the magazine, I found that I had underestimated the amount of fabric for the backing. I love watching the tutorials; but it is great to have more detailed instructions. I will buy the next issue; but it looks like most of the quilts are by others. I hope they are easy quilts as I am into easy now.

I picked this up yesterday but haven't had a chance to look through it. I'm sure I'll find several quilts I want to make. My problem is finding the time to make all the things I want to make.

Quote Originally Posted by franc36 View Post
    I have already made one quilt from Quilting Quickly and have the fabric ready to make 3 more, so for me, the magazine was worth the cost. I like the fact that the magazine gives more information than the tutorials. For example, when I saw the "Big Star Quilt" tutorial, I knew I wanted to make that quilt. I ordered what I thought would be enough fabric. When I purchased the magazine, I found that I had underestimated the amount of fabric for the backing. I love watching the tutorials; but it is great to have more detailed instructions. I will buy the next issue; but it looks like most of the quilts are by others. I hope they are easy quilts as I am into easy now.
    I also want to make the Big Star quilt and the circle quilt and it was great to see it in the magazine the Big star quilt with all the information wasn't sure how much fabric to buy. had trouble finding the magazine and was disappointed in not seeing any information on how to subscribe to the magazine. Don't want to do it on the computer.

I ordered a digital version from Fons & Porter and will purchase the next issue. I wanted the Dashing Stars (Big Star) kit and ordered it from Missouri Quilt. They didn't have anymore kits so the young lady that took my call made a kit with the required fabrics and I saved $2.00 by doing it this way. This was my first order with them and because of the great customer service I received I'm getting ready to place a hugh order this morning.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast