Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilting the sashing

Quilting the sashing

Just started quilting my civil war quilt and have only a 2 inch sashing. Just wondering how many of you always quilt the sashing, maybe do a different design on the sashing or don't quilt it at all.

Cagey , First I keep in mind how much the batting says it needs to be quilted. A couple of times I did not quilt a sashing and then stood back when the rest was done. It didn't say finished to me, so off I went to quilt something. It could be as simple as a straight line. Sometimes a SID is in order just to keep it from poofing too much. Nothing says you cannot come back and add something later. I get quilters block and so I try to keep myself to ONE quilting motif decision at a time! I quilt one area and often as I quilt THAT part, the lightbulb goes on and a plan starts to take shape for the next area.

I almost always to SITD for sashing. Seems to frame in the beautiful blocks.

Power Poster
    I often SITD on the sashing before starting my FMQ to stabilize the sandwich. If your sashing is only 2 inches you don't HAVE to quilt it, just if you want to.

On alot of my quilts just for family or friends I do an allover panto so the sashing is included in this. If not I usually SITD the sashing or do straight lines or zig zag lines.
    Jeanann

Theres nothing wrong with me a little chocolate won't fix.

It depends on the quilt. Sometimes I think that an unquilted sashing "frames" the block.